• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski rainguard on zeiss dialyt 7x42b (1 Viewer)

Hi as stated in the title I was wondering if anyone has tried a swarvoski (the neoprene wrap over one) rainguard on a pair of Zeiss dialyt 7x42b many thanks Jase

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

I do have the original Zeiss rain guard. But that only sits on top. Nothing holds it there. But I know were your coming from

Breydon

The only rainguard I know from the Dialyt-era is the one in the photo and as you can see you can thread the ends of the neckstrap through it so it slides up and down and when down it stays in place.
Is yours different from this?
Anyway the type shown in the photo is still available and one source is: http://swoptics.co.uk/?4580
Apologies to the OP for this diversion but he might want to consider this very efficient rainguard: it goes on and off quickly and easily and doesn't distort during handling.
Lee

Attachments

• DialytGuard.jpg
    DialytGuard.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, I do have the zeiss rain guard like in the picture but it doesn't seem to stay on unless I unfold the binoculars to their widest point, I saw a few threads on people using the swarovski rain guard on different brands of binos and was wondering if they have been tried on these thanks jase

Thanks for the replies guys, I do have the zeiss rain guard like in the picture but it doesn't seem to stay on unless I unfold the binoculars to their widest point, I saw a few threads on people using the swarovski rain guard on different brands of binos and was wondering if they have been tried on these thanks jase

Jase, I have that rainguard on several models and I use it with both sides of the neckstrap threaded through the appropriate slots on each side to suit my IPD. I have never had it come off unless I lift the bins up to my eyes.

In what circumstances do you find it coming off? And do you only have it with the strap through one side only?

Lee

Thanks for replying lee, I currently do have it on both sides i find it usually slides up off when I put my binos in under my jacket and also when I put them down in my truck it tends to slide off, I love the idea of the zeiss rainguard I just think because of having the binos so close together to suit me it becomes to loose if you understand what I mean

Thanks for replying lee, I currently do have it on both sides i find it usually slides up off when I put my binos in under my jacket and also when I put them down in my truck it tends to slide off, I love the idea of the zeiss rainguard I just think because of having the binos so close together to suit me it becomes to loose if you understand what I mean

OK, very surprised though. One little detail: when you fold up the ends of the straps so they make a loop that your bins hand from, have you got both the downward strap and the upward strap going through the rainguard slots?

I have this arrangement and it slows the movement of the guard up and down the straps so this could help you.

Lee

Don't forget Jase that the rainguard's job description is to come off quickly and easily in rain so that you can get your bins to your eyes as quickly as possible to get a look at whatever has interested you without rain getting on the eyepiece lenses, and then to be able to be quickly replaced on the eyecups again so you minimise rain getting on the lenses.

I have several rainguards that are much closer fitting but are a pig to get on and off meaning that more rain gets on the lenses than necessary. One rainguard is so tight-fitting that I can lift the binoculars up by just gripping the bridge-piece of the rainguard.

As with many things, the rainguard must balance conflicting demands and for me personally I am happiest when the design leans towards keeping rain off the lenses rather than any other consideration.

Lee

Breydon

The only rainguard I know from the Dialyt-era is the one in the photo and as you can see you can thread the ends of the neckstrap through it so it slides up and down and when down it stays in place.
Is yours different from this?
Anyway the type shown in the photo is still available and one source is: http://swoptics.co.uk/?4580
Apologies to the OP for this diversion but he might want to consider this very efficient rainguard: it goes on and off quickly and easily and doesn't distort during handling.
Lee

Thanks for the info Lee. On order Many thanks Chris

I haven't but although they look cool in a sort of homespun-craft way, remember that leather can soak up water. If rain gets on the underside of this rainguard, which it will when you lift the bins up to your eyes, especially if the day is windy as well as rainy, it will soak into the leather. Then when you put the rainguard back on the eyecups, if the day is a little warm I will bet the eyelenses will fog over. You could put some waterproofing treatment on the leather but this will eventually get onto the eyecups and then end up around your eyes or on your spectacles.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back