• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Great Day in the Pyrenees - 2017 (1 Viewer)

Far too easy, Rosbifs! Were the creepers in Gloriettes, and where were the Rock Sparrows?

The creepers were indeed at Gloriettes. But higher than your spot.
Rock Sparrow down near Tarbes.
Looking forward to your visit.

Some more snaps but how many Night Heron(s)?

Osprey, Egret, Nightingale, one BS Kite, LR Plover, the night heron(s), Turtle Doves (first of the year and also one new place) etc.

Other news was the Scops duelling - male and female a couple of nights ago.

Attachments

• Little Egret.JPG
    Little Egret.JPG
    485.6 KB · Views: 139
  • Osprey aygue.JPG
    Osprey aygue.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Water birs.JPG
    Water birs.JPG
    777.6 KB · Views: 144
Some more snaps but how many Night Heron(s)?

Osprey, Egret, Nightingale, one BS Kite, LR Plover, the night heron(s), Turtle Doves (first of the year and also one new place) etc.

Other news was the Scops duelling - male and female a couple of nights ago.

I am only seeing two among the Gray Herons, cormorants, and egrets, though I must be missing a few.

Last edited:
At last mister (?) has put in an appearance...

Attachments

• Eagle Owl.JPG
    Eagle Owl.JPG
    790.3 KB · Views: 128
  • snow finch.JPG
    snow finch.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 125
Went to try and confirm or not the Wallcreeper at Gavarnie. Sadly I think its a not or I'm not in the right place. I stayed about 30 mins and then tried to look from the other side of the valley. Nothing doing! Got to be there somewhere.

Better news was that en-route I clocked the Eagle Owl - he wasn't there long enough for the parcs guy to see him 5 mins later! I did have a sneaky visit last night but no chicks visible as yet, in fact the I saw one flying on the other side of the road. I was carrying scope tripod etc so couldn't get on 'it' properly.

I clicked a shot of the Lammy. Heavily cropped full zoom and miles away.

At Gavarnie had the fortune of some fly by Alpine Swifts. This is a 'mega' here - well I have seen once in May and once in September at Gavarnie before - ok I don't live there but I have visited a number of times. At the same time a Golden Eagle drifted above me. There is a new aire but I didn't find it although I thought I had so didn't stop longer than to take a picture - for it then to not be the nest on PC review...

No Rock Thrush as yet.

Attachments

• lammy gav.JPG
    lammy gav.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 132
  • eagle owl 2.JPG
    eagle owl 2.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 119
A couple of shots

Egyptian Vulture and any guesses for the second bird?
Second photo - spot the bird...

Attachments

• Egyptian.JPG
    Egyptian.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Eagle Owl 3.JPG
    Eagle Owl 3.JPG
    881.2 KB · Views: 141
1 - looks vaguely like a lark with the Egyptian Vulture

2 - Eagle Owl, toward lower right, just below dark hole

I should have pointed out that I know what the bird was/is. Sorry if it didn't come across that way. Not a lark.

Of course right on the eagle owl. Was starting to get worried but seems to back back on view. Worried because someone is setting up a network of zip wires along the river bed below. We know about it as do the parc but still a worry....

I was walking in a westerly direction...

Whilst busy trying to get a decent flight shot of an Egyptian this Peregrine 'flashed' past - well a long way above. It then circled down and started doing rotations above me. I then clocked its mate on the rocks above. There should be chicks somewhere but I didn't have time to continue.

Sorry if people are getting bored with the Eagle Owl. His chicks will soon be on display so we are 'surveying' the area on a daily basis...

Attachments

• deer.JPG
    deer.JPG
    827.5 KB · Views: 108
  • peregrine.JPG
    peregrine.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 102
  • peregrine 2.JPG
    peregrine 2.JPG
    783.8 KB · Views: 96
  • eagle owl 4.JPG
    eagle owl 4.JPG
    814.1 KB · Views: 108
Another great day...

A friend texted to say he had a White backed Woody above the village. Straight out the door although I suspected he was wrong (should point out he is not a birdwatcher but has a passing interest). Anyway, I was disappointed but happy at the same time - a Middle Spotted Woody and whats more straight onto a nest with chicks chirping away inside. I tried my best hide but they aren't stupid and I was spotted. I took some pictures but beat my retreat...

Spun past the Eagle Owl - again. No chicks yet. But a family of Nuthatch was compensation.

Attachments

• eagle owl 5.JPG
    eagle owl 5.JPG
    784.7 KB · Views: 116
  • middle Spot.JPG
    middle Spot.JPG
    700.9 KB · Views: 115
  • baby nuthatch.JPG
    baby nuthatch.JPG
    610.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
The day gets better...

Mr and Mrs Rocky and the mighty Lambster for Duffbirder...

Attachments

• rocky 1.JPG
    rocky 1.JPG
    428.2 KB · Views: 111
  • rocky 2.JPG
    rocky 2.JPG
    800.4 KB · Views: 119
  • lamster.JPG
    lamster.JPG
    300 KB · Views: 125
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back