• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (8 Viewers)

And then there was nothing ?

Slipping out (quite literally, along the muddy track) to an undisclosed location ‘off’ the north coast, I was hoping to do even better than this morning’s Red-flanked Blacktail, at a place akin to Jampond.

However, it was much more like my trip to Poland (last week), in many respects, in the notable lack of things- almost birdless.

I have seen on other threads the absence of expected migrants: I saw only Spotted (no Pied, Red-breasted nor Collared) Flycatchers, despite having been given two almost 100% sites for the latter, no Nightingales (nor their Thushy cousins), no Rosefinches, no Turtle Doves, no Bluethroats, no Whinchats and few Redstarts and Red-backed Shrikes.

I did walk around and through an awful lot of fishponds, deciduous, coniferous, mixed, arable, meadow, marsh and montane habitats. This is more than worrying: where are they ?

That said, I did have good time and saw some good birds (pix to follow), in lovely scenery, with good, cheap food and friendly people and will post a trip report in a short while (linked from here).

Last edited:
I predicted White-throated Robin for East Hills this year

quite honestly, if you haven't been out there to look for one today, yer mad

Well, if it hadn't been for the bird up north that's where I was heading today, but i didn't fancy sifting through all the marsh, icterines and various shrike spp. so went north

as it happens a little bird (forum) told me that it was covered today (although probably not very well ;) so I might have to do it better tommorow)

Last edited:
I was also encouraged to go out this evening after news of the White throated Robin appeared on my iphone at lunchtime! Typical - been off for two weeks and the very day I get back to work - it finally rains and something hot turns up AND I could have had a lift with Andy W. and Justin L. today aswell! I don't twitch much outside Norfolk, but I would have gone to see that!

Holme this evening

The Collared Fly tree as I will now be caling it produced a male Blackcap only - there was other birds high up in the sycamore leaves, but couldn't get on them. Round the back of the bungalows I saw several common whitethroats, sedge warblers, cuckoo, pair of bullfinches flew over my head and two linnets sat on a hawthorn as the sun set. Left at 9.30pm

Penny:girl:

What is bringing such good seawatches at the moment? Could someone please shine so light on it for me. I was under the impression that Norfolk in the Spring produced very little.

Also Marsh Warbler reviewed http://showingwell.com/2011/06/06/more-marsh-warbler/

Many regards Kieran

Kieran, Norfolk can be good at any time year for seawatching quite often as a result of a strong onshore wind but not entirely dependent on it. I couldn't get out last saturday because of work but it felt really good with a big blustery NE and I could imagine the sea really busy. Having looked at magicseaweed a few days previously it did look good with a strong wind blowing down from the Arctic.
When I lived in Sheringham a few years back, I had one glorious year when I seawatched virtually daily regardless of conditions. Up until the middle of August i saw birds like Roseate Tern (in May), Cory's, Storm Petrel (both in July) Pom and Long-tail , some big passages of Arctic Skua (up to 80), Black Tern (one day around fifty) and also that year was really good for Balearic Shear and a lot of people were getting an almost daily fix.
A lot of the big numbers were in decent conditions with some kind of Northerly aspect but a lot of the sighting were in seemingly 'rubbish' winds. For instance, i generally seawatched in the evening and saw Manxies on a virtually daily basis from June onwards. The best day though was a passage of about 120 in sunny conditions in a light SW! It made me think they probably just summer off our coast. Bear in mind also that Arctic Skuas start appearing offshore from early July and are at this time at their best. My favourite memories were watching weary Sandwich Terns trundling back ontheir evening commute with well earned sand eels only to be robbed by these dogfighting predators.
What really enhanced the whole experience was that in unpromising conditions you have no expectations so anything was a bonus. Without sounding patronising I think the key to seawatching is enjoying looking at the sea and after a hard days work to be able to become entranced by the hypnotic effect of waves was one of those human experiences that I began to realise is hard to emulate. Anyway next time you are sitting in the hide at Cley watching the sun go down, go and have a sqizz at the sea you could be very surprised...

Norfolk birding is best

A large number of Norfolk birders in hartlepool today!! It is grim up north you know!!!!!!

Have only been to Hartlepool once but have visited many not so grim places up north M.R.

Sat 16 October 1999. Start of a week's holiday.
Tick long-staying short-billed dowitcher at its English site, Greatham Creek, Cleveland.
Drive the short way to Hartlepool headland.
Diary for that trip begins:
Hartlepool. Discover where Doctor's Garden and bowling greens are.
I actually wrote that!!

A good spot although I missed a yellow-browed warbler by 5 minutes and saw nothing at all!

Last edited:
Slipping out (quite literally, along the muddy track) to an undisclosed location ‘off’ the north coast, I was hoping to do even better than this morning’s Red-flanked Blacktail, at a place akin to Jampond.

However, it was much more like my trip to Poland (last week), in many respects, in the notable lack of things- almost birdless.

Firstreejohn, think I know why your not seeing anything... can only assume this was you out at the "undisclosed location ‘off’ the north coast" today. With your optical equipment in still your bag, you're never gonna find that mega...

Attachments

• easthillsmadness.jpg
    easthillsmadness.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 220
At the "undisclosed location ‘off’ the north coast" today, it was again very quiet... just 2 Lesser whitethroats, 2 Whitethroats, 2 Sprawks and a cuckoo.

Attachments

• IMG_4799-1 (Small).JPG
    IMG_4799-1 (Small).JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4816-1 (Small).JPG
    IMG_4816-1 (Small).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4829-1 (Small).JPG
    IMG_4829-1 (Small).JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 94
Not me, guv !

Several hundred witnesses can vouch for my presence some 60 miles to the south east, slaving away at the whiteboard-face.

Amongst the musical delights some were regaled with was Little Richard- an abbreviation of which may have some connection with your #11989.

On the other hand, are you sure it wasn’t an erstwhile Blakeney resident, having gone the whole hog, as it were ?

And on a completely unrelated subject, of course, some may be interested to see this pic of a Cockchafer, scurrying across a road in a Polish forest.

Previously, I had only seen them whirr past in the air.

Attachments

• 389psesm.jpg
    389psesm.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 65
I may have missed the rush, but. Is anyone still planning on going north for the WTR and would like to cut there fuel costs in half, or maybe even further as I am sure I could grap another birder that doesn't drive.

Please let me know, all the best Kieran

I have only 2 days in Norfolk this weekend and would like an idea of where to go, as there are so many options. Titchwell, Cley and Holme have been recommended.

Any thoughts welcomed.

obm

I have only 2 days in Norfolk this weekend and would like an idea of where to go, as there are so many options. Titchwell, Cley and Holme have been recommended.

Any thoughts welcomed.

obm

All depends what you would like to see, Titchwell, Cley and Holme if planned right can all be done in one day, two if you wanted to comb the place.

Thanks for the input Locostella.

As it is my first visit to the area, I would be guided by what locals and regulars suggest.

A good spot for waders would be nice, any rarities would be good but not if it takes a day to get to them and excludes any other sites.

A coffee shop with seats is essential due to walking problems.

From the book I am looking at trying to fit in Lakenheath, Holme, Blakeney, Cley and Snettisham over Friday and Saturday. I could leave the Suffolk day and spend an extra day in Norfolk? This would give me Thursday afternoon, Friday and Saturday. Would this be a better use of the time in your view, is there enough to see?

obm

Cley, Titchwell and Holme all have seating areas and the chance to get a hot drink etc, and they are all poster boys for Norfolk birding. It might be an idea to leaven Laken till the last day and incorporate the Brecklands in to? Stone Curlew, Firecrest, Redstart, Spotted Flycatcher are all easily seen in few hours. Plus Golden O's and Crane at Laken would make for a extremely good days birding.

Thanks for the input Locostella.

As it is my first visit to the area, I would be guided by what locals and regulars suggest.

A good spot for waders would be nice, any rarities would be good but not if it takes a day to get to them and excludes any other sites.

A coffee shop with seats is essential due to walking problems.

From the book I am looking at trying to fit in Lakenheath, Holme, Blakeney, Cley and Snettisham over Friday and Saturday. I could leave the Suffolk day and spend an extra day in Norfolk? This would give me Thursday afternoon, Friday and Saturday. Would this be a better use of the time in your view, is there enough to see?

obm

ladders can be useful when birding

Visited Cley on 30 December 1993 and parked in what is now the lower part of the visitor centre car park.

A ladder was leaned against the hedge bank at the bottom of the slope from the old centre, now used by Cley Spy.

A male merlin was perched on one of the rungs.

Crossbill, Willow Warbler and Woodlark at Kelling Heath.
As well as the usual Linnits, Yellow Hammer, Skylark, Blackcap, Whitethroat, and a Turtle Dove heard.
Shame the winds have shifted as fancied a sea watch!
Who needs the White-Throated Robin anyway!

Crossbill, Willow Warbler and Woodlark at Kelling Heath.
As well as the usual Linnits, Yellow Hammer, Skylark, Blackcap, Whitethroat, and a Turtle Dove heard.
Shame the winds have shifted as fancied a sea watch!
Who needs the White-Throated Robin anyway!

Good to hear someone has actually been out birding in Norfolk! W-T Robin is a smashing bird,but I'm happy to let this unfold from afar.Amazing how some folk haven't actually seen the bird,but spend ages posting about it!
Influx of Red-footed Falcon today,one at Horsey and a couple elsewhere in England.check those patches guys,Surlingham tomorrow! I fancy a rare for Norfolk this month.I do get easily carried away in the broads these days,but a trip to the coast is calling.
Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back