• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird with one eye (1 Viewer)

Shirl

Has anyone seen this? Might this been a disease, an inherited condition or the result of a fight?

It seems to be managing flying okay and getting to food on the ground easily enough. The other eye seems perfectly okay.

Thanks,
Shirl

Attachments

• SGW10 Blackbird eye (2)bf.jpg
    SGW10 Blackbird eye (2)bf.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 142
  • SGW10 Blackbird eye (1)bf2.jpg
    SGW10 Blackbird eye (1)bf2.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 151
  • SGW10 Blackbird eye (3)bf.jpg
    SGW10 Blackbird eye (3)bf.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 160
I haven't seen this in blackbirds (because I live in the US) but I have seen it in other species. To me, it looks like a healed injury. Birds are amazing at surviving traumatic events! Here, we have a disease called mycoplasmal conjunctivitis. The symptoms include conjunctivitis of eyes and can make the birds go blind. However, they don't lose their eyes; Instead, their eyes are seals shut with puss!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back