• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (22 Viewers)

Pretty sure this is a regular late summer roost site for Yellow Wag - if you have access to a few Norfolk Bird Reports you should come across similar records from previous years.

You have pointed me in the right direction David.
2008- 7th August 186 roosted at Glebe Marsh followed by 67 on the 24th.
2009- no reports from this late summer roost, but 120 were at Welney on the 27th of August.

Cheers,
Jim.

A few yellow wags at Cley this morning , Stonechat , linnets & Woodlark at Kelling pm

I saw Woodlarks at Kelling a few weeks ago two visits running. I was thrilled as I had never seen them before and also in the evening two Nightjars, another bird new to me :t:

Last edited:
I saw Woodlarks at Kelling a few weeks ago two visits running. I was thrilled as I had never seen them before and also in the evening two Nightjars, another bird new to me :t:

The Woodlarks up there are awesome aren't they? Such a lovely area! Quite glad I have it as one of my local patches.

Titchwell August 3rd

Today’s highlights

Wood sandpiper – 2 around reserve
Green sandpiper – 3 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 4 on fresh marsh
Hobby – 1 over reserve

Paul

The Woodlarks are awesome! I have also added Kelling Heath as one of my local patches, might see you there!

No doubt you will! Might be up there Sunday if you are about, although may be at Snettisham or in Norwich looking at new cars! ahhh haha
Will be up there a lot more once the car crash I had is sorted out!
Just look out for a youngish guy with dark hair carrying far too much haha That's usually me!

No doubt you will! Might be up there Sunday if you are about, although may be at Snettisham or in Norwich looking at new cars! ahhh haha
Will be up there a lot more once the car crash I had is sorted out!
Just look out for a youngish guy with dark hair carrying far too much haha That's usually me!

I won't be there for a while but I'll keep a eye out for you next time :t:

Titchwell August 4th

Today’s highlights

Curlew sandpiper – 2 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 2 on fresh marsh
Dunlin – 26 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 4 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 3 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper – 1 on reserve
Grasshopper warbler – 1 singing male on grazing meadow
Spoonbill – 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Is anyone planning to go for the White-rump tonight or tomorrow who could offer a lift in exchange for fuel share? I live in Swaffham, but can get to King's Lynn for pick up. Been struggling with my own transport and the bus routes do not accommodate the reserve.

Many regards, Kieran

Locostella.

If you can't get a lift you can get the bus to Dersingham and then follow the public footpath directly west to near the southern end of the pits. There are usually a few birds along the way and it isn't really much further than walking from the car park.

Good luck with the sandpiper. I might go up on Sunday. Does anyone know if it's mostly being seen on the pits or on the wash?

Pec of the day

Just walked into N Hide at Cley late morning and was asked to help out with the ID of a wader which they suspected was a Pec Sand.
Bird flew in closer, nice Adult Pectotal Sandpiper! Released the news and a few birders including S Gantlett managed to see it before it flew out of sight. Seems to like the left corner looking out from the hide.

Cley is looking in perfect condition for a really rare wader this month.

Stopped at Buxton Heath on way home briefly. One Crossbill flew over but highlight for me (of the day!) was a new moth. A Beautiful Yellow Underwing . Dayflying Heathland species.

Will add a record shot of the Pec to my blog later.

Locostella.

Good luck with the sandpiper. I might go up on Sunday. Does anyone know if it's mostly being seen on the pits or on the wash?

At the high tide (check for tide times) we saw it on The Wash this morning until the water moved it off and it flew with the Dunlin onto the pits where we saw it from Shore Hide (2nd hide down)

Once again it was a gorgeous wader spectacular morning!

Sue

Today’s highlights

Spotted redshank – 9 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 4 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Pintail – 1 on fresh marsh

Coastal Change Project
On Monday August 8th the diggers will arrive and work can start. The project is due for completion by the end of October but we are hopeful, weather permitting, that things may be finished sooner.

The first task to finish is the construction of the new sea wall to the east of the Parrinder Hide, they will then move to the brackish marsh and put the breach in the east bank. While this work is going on, we will be taking the opportunity to clear some of the vegetation from the islands and the edge of the fresh marsh. This work will cause some disturbance to the birds but we will be keeping that to a minimum.
From there they will move south along the bank putting in the new sluice structure and repairing the east bank as they go. A new section of low bank will be constructed beyond the dead trees and that will complete to work on the east bank.

Work will then start on the new reedbed area to the east of Fen Hide which will include finishing the habitat creation and putting in the visitor infrastructure. Once that work is complete, we have a short section of the west bank path to upgrade between the visitor centre and the meadow trail. At present the exact timings of this work are unknown but we will be keeping people up-to-date through our blog, twitter and on the reserve. You can also get in touch with us by email [email protected] for the latest news.

Paul

Unfortunately the Wensum Valley Watchpoint ( Gt Rybrough ) will be closing next Friday and Natural England will no longer have a presence on the site. The Swanton Novers Watchpoint will remain open , though in very wet winter weather the gates may be shut for short periods to avoid rutting the grass.

Unfortunately the Wensum Valley Watchpoint ( Gt Rybrough ) will be closing next Friday and Natural England will no longer have a presence on the site. The Swanton Novers Watchpoint will remain open , though in very wet winter weather the gates may be shut for short periods to avoid rutting the grass.

Sad to hear! May I ask the reasons why it is closing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back