• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Guide: To tip or not to tip? (1 Viewer)

Kathi Hutton

I have hired a bird guide for a day trip in the Cairngorm area this autumn. He has quoted me a price for the full day, including picking me up in Inverness and bringing me back. In the USA, we sometimes tip our bird guides over and above the agreed-upon fee. Often, this is because the guide is working for a company, and relies on tips as part of his income. However, as I understand it, one generally does not tip the owner of a business, which is the case here. My guide is independent, not an employee. In reading up on social behavior in Scotland, I find that tipping is done less often and at a lower rate than here in the USA.

What is the right thing to do? Should I tip my guide or not? And if so, what would be a correct amount?

Thanks for your advice,
Kathi, counting the days till her Highland holiday

I would say tip if you think it's particularly merited but don't feel obliged to do so. If you do tip, it should be more about expressing thanks than about augmenting their income. The guide should be charging enough already for their income, at least in this case.

Im a bird guide in the Highlands, some people tip others do not. It is a farly even split. As Andrew says the price quoted is the price qouted and a tip not a necessity and I certainly do not expect a tip. In saying that when I use guides abroad I do tip!! :) Hope you have a great holiday whatever you decide.

Regards

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back