• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (3 Viewers)

I receive many reports of Adder from Mallorca but I’m sure these all relate to Viperine. As far as I know, there are no Adders on the Island.
The four species seen on the Island I believe are:
Southern smooth snake
Ladder snake
European Rat snake
Viperine snake
Plus the odd escape.
If anyone knows more it would be very helpful. Thanks, Mike

I receive many reports of Adder from Mallorca but I’m sure these all relate to Viperine. As far as I know, there are no Adders on the Island.
The four species seen on the Island I believe are:
Southern smooth snake
Ladder snake
European Rat snake
Viperine snake
Plus the odd escape.
If anyone knows more it would be very helpful. Thanks, Mike
Hi Mike
I've also seen and photograped Montpeliers snake, Malpolon monspessulanus (Hermann, 1804) in Sa Roca - but this is an accidental introduction (I have a publication where my photo is used).
I've also read that the Ladder snake, sometimes given as Rhinechis scalaris, and the False Smooth snake, Macroprotodon mauritanicus, are both regarded as introductions. There is also one more introduced snake in the Balearic Islands: the Horseshoe Whipsnake, Hemorrhois hippocrepis.
Martin

It is indeed Drimia maritima aka Sea Squill - a Hyacinth-type which is widespread and as is characteristic of the Med having a bulb producing leaves in the Spring with an Autumn-flowering spike��

Laurie -

Birds around Alcudia?

Hi guys,

I will be staying from October 22-24 (all day Sunday through Tuesday evening) in Alcudia. I know it's short but couldn't get a better flight to merge with a workshop in Palma starting Wednesday.

Anyway, I have Albufera, Albufereta, La Gola(?) on the radar. I definitely want to drive to Cap Formentor. I'm a sucker for sunrises and sunsets too, as are the birds I understand? ;)
I am no good in photographing small birds (robin sized). Either I don't see them or when I do they flee or my pictures are blurred. I would therefore go for the bigger ones, preferrably ones that wade the water and don't mind me being there, too. Is there anyplace "best" that I could go to considering the short span of time I'll be there. And is it helpful to rent a bike in the parks or rather walk (I'm good on foot.).

Sorry for the lengthy first posting. I hope to get some tipps anyway. Thank you.

Hello Herona, and welcome to BirdForum. I'm sure others who know better than me will be along with their advice soon, but ...
Assuming your main interest is photography, then you should find the hides at s'Albufera will keep you interested for a good long time. If you're a good walker then you certainly don't need a bike. From the bus stop at the entrance, it's quite an easy walk into the Visitor Centre (please do call in there to say hello and get a permit), and most of the hides are very near there.
I hope you have a good trip.

Hi Herona, I agree absolutely with davercox, Albufera is far and away the best place for bird photography, even for small birds which can be right by the hides. There will be great opportunities to photograph Purple swamp hen, waders, ducks and gulls. Also Osprey catch fish and settle near the hides at times giving great shots as they consume their prey.
Many places are walkable so no need for a bike unless you want to venture further.
I hope you have a great time, let us know what you see. I may bump into you up there as I am back from the UK by then. Mike

Ps if you make it to Son Real, there is a hide on blue walk number four where small birds come to drink and bathe. They rest on twigs right by the hide offering close ups for even the smallest of birds including Firecrests. Crossbills are common there. There is an influx of Hawfinch at the moment so you may even be lucky enough to see some of those. Mike

I have been to my local lighthouse in the south-east every night for just over a week. The first evening there were only two Balearic Shearwaters and four Scopoli’s.
Every day the numbers have increased and this evening in only one hour I logged over 120 Balearic Shearwaters and about 20 Scopoli’s.
Just out of interest, Balearic Shearwaters lay eggs in the last week of February to early March, hatching takes place during the last week of April and they fledge during the first week of July.
I noticed tonight just how variable they are, some appeared very white, especially in the late evening sun, whilst others were quite dingy looking. Mike

Little Bittern and Flamingo salbufera, 10th sept and Bee-eaters cap de ses salines.11th sept
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_0168 (1024x734).jpg
    IMG_0168 (1024x734).jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0194 (1024x730).jpg
    IMG_0194 (1024x730).jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0282 (1024x730).jpg
    IMG_0282 (1024x730).jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0284 (1024x731).jpg
    IMG_0284 (1024x731).jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 54
Thanks Steve for all your great photos. How I love those flocks of Bee-eaters on their way south in September. This autumn I was lucky enough to see a flock of 85 spiral upwards at the Cap and then head off directly towards Africa. It was a magnificent sight. Mike

The Short-toed Eagle was seen again today near Pollensa so it did linger as Max suggested it may do. A couple have been seen which is about average. Mike

The Short-toed Eagle was seen again today near Pollensa so it did linger as Max suggested it may do. A couple have been seen which is about average. Mike

I had one in the same area many years ago. It too caught a snake and flew off with it in the direction of the Ternelles valley.

Simon, sorry for the delay to answer, I've not been entering in birdforum for a long time.

As you say, most of the raptors seen in postnuptial migration in the Balearics are young birds. I've not data for Booted Eagles, but I have for other species. For example, 92% of the Honey Buzzards seen in Cabrera in 1994-1995 were juveniles (and 100% of Common Buzzards, 79% of Sparrowhawks, but only 62% of Marsh Harriers).

You have a summary of what was seen in Cabrera these years here (pages 11-17, in catalan): http://ibdigital.uib.es/greenstone/collect/anuariGobVolums/index/assoc/AOB_1995.dir/AOB_1995v10.pdf

Best wishes

Thanks mike, also had around 85 on the 11th sept not all in this shot.
Balearic warbler, sp. fly boquer 12t sept.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_0329 (1024x733).jpg
    IMG_0329 (1024x733).jpg
    201 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0344 (1024x736).jpg
    IMG_0344 (1024x736).jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0436 (1024x734).jpg
    IMG_0436 (1024x734).jpg
    545.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0496 (1024x733).jpg
    IMG_0496 (1024x733).jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 58
The only news I have today is of a group of 32 Booted eagles leaving Mallorca at the Cap de Ses Salines, heading towards Cabrera. Seen by Juanjo. I am still in the UK, Leighton Moss tomorrow which will be a trip down memory lane. Mike

Didn't see any more vultures for the rest of the week. Red Kite, Peregrine and some Booted Eagles around Andratx and Port Andratx. Enjoyed watching the Eleonora's Falcons on Sa Dragonera - very impressive.

From Dragonera we saw a group of about 10 large, slow-flapping birds land on an islet off St Elm. Looked rather more like dark herons than raptors, but were about 1 km away and we only had binocs! Any suggestions, anyone?

Hi Pancho44, I have seen quite a few groups of both grey and purple herons on the move from the Cap this year. It’s quite normal at this time of the year so maybe they were herons? Mike

Thanks for your replies and recommendations, guys. Yes, I am taking my camera and the longest lens I have or have recently bought just for the event 400mm. It basically replaces spy glasses as well.

I also ordered a birder's guide to Mallorca and a map, both of which arrived this weekend. I can only recommend them. Very well made - with love! So, at least I should be able to name what I see or capture with my lens.
Sa Dragonera is definitely on my list of visits next week, and I hope to see/take pictures of some of the larger birds there.

One more question: If the parks only open at 9am and close at 5pm, won't it be rather late/too early to see the majority of the birds come and feed/drink?

Mike,

I've looked at some video of Purple Herons flying and I'm sure that's what they were. Mainly, possibly all, juveniles.

Hope you're enjoying the warm UK October!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back