• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (13 Viewers)

I am coming down to Norfolk next monday for a few days and am going across to Minsmere for the day next wednesday. If anyone wants a day out at Minsmere, please send me a personal message to organise something. I am staying in the Sandringham area.
Am leaving Scotland late sunday evening so would need to know by then.
Cheers
Darell

morning and evening seawatches yesterday

morning
50+ Gannets south
5 Arctic Skuas south
20 Common Scoters north
40+ Kittiwakes
1 Shelduck north
3 Guillemots south
2 Dunlin
1 Shag - same bird as previous day

evening
Med Gull north
19 Common Scoter north
7 Whimbrel north
70+ Gannets north
7 Arctic Skuas
1 Turnstone

no birding this morning but did have two Whimbrels over...

A few juv. Yellow Wagtails around the Blakeney freshes today. Also a pair (2 of 4) of this years Marsh Harriers practising their food-pass technique. muffed it up every time though. Mesmerizing/funny to watch.

Jason

No sign of the Roseate Terns (reported this morning) east of Happisburgh between 6 & 6:50 this evening. Only small numbers of terns on the old sea defences but 27+ Kittiwakes resting up again. 3 Arctic Skuas, 2 chasing terns well out to sea and 1 east close in.

James

No sign of the Roseate Terns (reported this morning) east of Happisburgh between 6 & 6:50 this evening. Only small numbers of terns on the old sea defences but 27+ Kittiwakes resting up again. 3 Arctic Skuas, 2 chasing terns well out to sea and 1 east close in.

James

James

I tried earlier in the day with no joy but lots of Sandwich and Common Terns and kitties too... lovely deserted beach though.

might be worth a look in the morning...

Tim

James

Probably the birds that are known to roost regularly at Breydon in recent times?? might be worth checking there late afternoons??

Well the tern search this morning proved fruitless; there were hardly any terns present at all. What was remarkable (to me at least) was the number of Kitti's on the defences and resting on the water between Happisburgh & Cart Gap.....190+. I've often seen them in larger numbers passing offshore but never such high numbers 'hanging around'. Has anyone else noted them in higher than usual numbers around the coast?

James

Hi James

yes, loads today off Waxham and aPalling - one group of fifty this afternoon

but as you say, very few terns today.

did have four fantastic Arctics together, from the beach, just prior to the evening pint...

Tim

1st summer Wheatear still at Salthouse, and probably a female there as well, but only saw it briefly. Ringed Plovers with one well developed juv, and 1 fluffy pingpong ball on stilts as well. Also a young lapwing. No Yellow Wags though, which was what I was hoping for.

Jason

Breydon - 12.30-1300 :
3 imm Spoonbill still showing well from Asda car park and hide
Tide quite far out still so couldn't get a good look at waders but c.100 Black t godwits, 1 greenshank, 1 L egret and c.120 common terns

Winterton - around 1400
6+ Arctic skua south
1 Kittiwake
2 Guillemot on sea
4-5 distant Gannet

Sacha

4 spot flys on wires in village, at least 2 were juvs - not sure about the turtle doves...I would guess she's incubating as I haven't seen them since the nestbuilding approx 10 days ago. Swifts have built up in numbers recently, none this morning.

too much DIY and gardening today but did manage to snatch a few minutes on the beach on the way back from the tip and had a lovely adult Med Gull float past

also a few Guillies, Gannets and a couple of Arctic Skuas south

Breydon - 12.30-1300 :
3 imm Spoonbill still showing well from Asda car park and hide

Today 13.00 - 14.00 at Braydon South wall.
Didn't think to look towards asda, just set straight off towards Burgh.

*!*@*!#@#*

I am officially an idiot.
HD (Who has still never seen a spoonbill)

Did manage an immature Peregrine flying straight up the channel

Lots of Common Terns here this morning, fewer Sarnies and c.30 Kitti's. Red-throated Diver & 2 Guillies on the sea and a Wheatear along the sea wall...

James

Good day focused on butterflies at Holkham, with lifers in the form of a Small Heath, lots of female Silver Studded Blues and a Wall Butterfly (dont think I've seen one before anyway). Also seen were probable Dark Green Fritillaries (didn't see the underwings), a couple of White Admirals and Small Coppers, a few Small Skippers (although their antennae were entirely black. Is this right? I thought they should be orangy/yellow), lots of Gatekeepers, Peacocks, Red Admirals and Whites.

Also 2 1st summer Wheatears and 7 Sand Martins passing through Salthouse.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back