• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

Cley today

Apparently the roseate terns were seen but not by me and didn't get the time to go looking for the spoonbill. Did have:

Sandwich Tern
Common tern
Green sandpiper
Common sandpiper
ruff
Black tailed godwits
Whimbrel
redshank
Spotted redshank
avocets
oystercatcher
polish cygnet mute swan
(Black swan also present)
Yellow legged gull.
Marsh Harriers

ETA A few pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8773601@N03/sets/72157600503537448

Last edited:
Started at Great Ryburgh this morning at 10.15am.

1 male marsh harrier, 3 hobbies (at least), 4 common buzzards, linnets, 4 yellow hammers, skylarks, green woodpecker (calling), reed bunting, little ringed plover on field with 1 chick!, 2 red leg partridge, 2 hares and 2 turtle doves on wires (about a mile from Gt R) and 1 tree sparrow in private garden!

Salthouse 3.30pm

1st summer wheatear at Salthouse, spoonbill on pools along with 3 little egrets, sandwich and common terns, cormorants, 2 black blacked gulls, pied wagtails.

Walsey Hills 5pm

From Walsey Hills could see: 13 Egyptian geese, 3 curlew, avocets, 1 bar tailed godwit and at the centre 1 Adder basking on the bank!

Not a bad day's birding for late July, with glorious weather.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hi all,

today had a good seawatch/beachwatch of Holme NOA, which produced 1 Velvet Scoter west with c. 100 Common Scoter, 1 dark phase Arctic Skua lingering offshore then east, 3 Med Gulls (1 ad, 1 1st sum and 1 2nd sum), 4 Whimbrel and a Greenshank.

Then moved on to Titchwell RSPB and had 4 Little Ringed Plovers, 2 Little Stints, 3 Whimbrel, 3 Greenshank, 6 Little Gulls, 13 Spotted Redshanks and one Common Sand. Water levels looking pretty good now.

cheers,

Connor

Walcott today

Yo folks.

Had an hour or so with the family down the beach at Walcott today. I suppose I probably spent 20 mins birding and 40 mins playing with the kids. It was pretty breezy but we found a sheltered spot.

Apart from the general gulls you see It produced:

5 Turnstone
2 Bar Tails
3 Curlew
2 possible Whimbrels, they were a bit distant to be 100%
7 Ringed Plover
1 Cormorant
4 Sandwich Terns
2 Common Terns
1 Roseate Tern

I was really pleased to see the Roseate Tern, totally unexpected. I guess this is part of the magic of birdwatching.

Best wishes.
Johnny.

3 little ringos and a turnstone at Buckenham. Seawatching at Waxham produced naff all expect a very distant wader that might have been a stone curlew. Paninis at the Barn made it worthwhile - can recommend the Jarlsberg and Ham. Matt - if you can be bothered to do the walk, try Burnham Marshes for spoonbills - walk west at the seawall for about a mile and a half until you come to some freshwater pools (assuming they haven't dried up). I'd estimate about a 50% success rate with them there the last seven or eight times of gone. Also, you can usually get excellent views of Bearded Tits in the shallow fringe of reeds next to the path that runs along the sea wall on your way down.

Tried Waxham again this evening Ilya but likewise very slow

just Gannets and a few Kitties etc

shame we missed you this morning - my fault. Was looking forward to some stories from your recent trip. Ended up at the Dun Cow, Spoonbill and Montys etc...

back to the seawatching in the morning...

Tim

Matt - if you can be bothered to do the walk, try Burnham Marshes for spoonbills - walk west at the seawall for about a mile and a half until you come to some freshwater pools (assuming they haven't dried up). I'd estimate about a 50% success rate with them there the last seven or eight times of gone. Also, you can usually get excellent views of Bearded Tits in the shallow fringe of reeds next to the path that runs along the sea wall on your way down.

Cheers, will check out the maps'n stuff...

Matt

Wander from Salthouse carpark to Arnolds Marsh produced several Yellow Wagtails (still no decent views though. Really doing my head in now!), lots of Dunlin in various plumages (personal consensus was that they were all probably dunlin, anyway... ;)), 2 Knots, a few Ringed Plovers with young, several Greenshanks, 1 Golden Plover, Avocets wth young, 1 Whimbrel and 2 1st summer Wheaters still on Little Eye. Also several Essex Skippers and plenty of Graylings and Peacock butterflies about.

Nice sunny day as well.

Jason

Now debating the female Silver Studded Blues I saw the other day at Holkham in the dunes. Think they may have been Brown Argus' after looking at some pics on the net. I'm using a 1966 Observer Guide to id these butterflies, and the pics appear to be very different to what I'm seeing in the field. I'm debating the Essex Skippers as well :p May have to fork out for a new guide!

Jason

Good day focused on butterflies at Holkham, with lifers in the form of a Small Heath, lots of female Silver Studded Blues and a Wall Butterfly (dont think I've seen one before anyway). Also seen were probable Dark Green Fritillaries (didn't see the underwings), a couple of White Admirals and Small Coppers, a few Small Skippers (although their antennae were entirely black. Is this right? I thought they should be orangy/yellow), lots of Gatekeepers, Peacocks, Red Admirals and Whites.

Also 2 1st summer Wheatears and 7 Sand Martins passing through Salthouse.

Jason

good numbers of Arctic Skuas passing by this morning, and a few Whimbrels and Barwits.

Adult Little Gull north past Sea Palling this evening, couple of Grey Plovers, couple of Fulmars, 60+ Sandwich north, Little Tern, a handful of Commons but only two Arctic Skuas this evening.

Gull-billed Tern went past Eccles 30 mins after I left for home this lunchtime... arse.

Tim

Amazing afternoon at the Ryborough watchpoint, between about 1 and 2:30pm. 3 excellent views of what must have been both birds, and a 4th probable of one soaring against the trees. On one occasion a bird soared up high and actually displayed repeatedly (missed this sadly), bringing its wings together above its body. The rest were pretty close views of the bird(s) soaring leasurely above the trees. A chap had already had 4 sightings before I'd arrived. Reckon now is the time to get down there to see them.

Also seen were one or two Hobbys, a Sparrowhawk and the Little Ringed Plover.

Jason

Managed to see the spoonbills at Breydon yesterday. Straight on them as I turned the corner from the ASDA carpark. One question, the Birdguide website had them as immatures, yet the birds I saw had orange tips to the bills - my guide has immatures as having plain black bills, with adults having yellow tips. Anyone able to explain? Lots of people there looking for rosy terns, apparently at least one seen earlier in the morning. The thistles in the scrub behind the hide were full of Narrow-bordered Five-spotted Burnets -worth a look if you're there.

Went on to Winterton - where we had over 50 Grayling but only 1 Dark Green Fritillary - the wind obviously keeping the frits down in the grass. Good numbers of small copper,gatekeeper and small heath also seen.

got a male Peregrine chasing and catching a house martin/swallow (it was too quick) outside the red lion in stiffkey yesterday afternoon. It was an awesome sight!

I don't know if anyone else, like me, has noticed the absence of reports from Karl J recently. I really enjoy hearing about his epic cycling and birding excursions. I notice from another thread that he has been in Addenbrooks hospital for about three weeks so I hope he is well on the road to recovery and look forward to reading more of his reports on here as soon as possible.

See the final post on this thread:
http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=70600&page=2

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back