• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr bird video thread (2 Viewers)

These are great videos! I've been using my 7D for slow motion videos which works pretty well most times and other times not so well.
Here are two that I like using Canon 7D, 600mm f/4, 1.4x TC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYNVBDUeLyA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o81931bLZss&feature=BFa&list=UUdq3k6_NVrMtQBHw6qixqbw&lf=plcp

Great videos.
Amazing work at tracking the birds.
What are your settings for doing the slomo? Ive tried a few times and it always looks rubbish

Great videos.
Amazing work at tracking the birds.
What are your settings for doing the slomo? Ive tried a few times and it always looks rubbish

I put everything in manual mode on the 7D. Set the shutter speed to around 1/250 sec, then adjust the f/stop and ISO for current conditions. The faster shutter speed will make the video look jittery when played back normally.

Import the clip into your video editor (I use Premiere Pro) and stretch it out. Rendering out to an .mp4 file works well.

I like the video capabilities of the 7D, but precise manual focusing is difficult.

When you say stretch it out how much percentage wise do you slow the clip down by?
I tried 48% and it worked ok on a kestrel hovering but didn't really look as slow as I liked.
If i pushed further than 48% then it seemed to loose all detail

When you say stretch it out how much percentage wise do you slow the clip down by?
I tried 48% and it worked ok on a kestrel hovering but didn't really look as slow as I liked.
If i pushed further than 48% then it seemed to loose all detail

I can go 25-30% or so. Are you using the 1280x720 60fps setting? You really need 60 fps to make it work.

Photoslide Show set to music

Hello All,

I produced a Photoslide show set to music about the Snowy Owl. It's not a pure video so I hope you don't mind. It is 5 minutes long and I'm sure it is longer than the attention span of many. However if you stick with it you will be rewarded with a dramatic twist in the story in the second half.

It is best viewed with sound on and full screen.

http://vimeo.com/36885781

All comments welcomed.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks for producing this beautiful slideshow which was enhanced by the dramatic music and thoughtful editing. Great stuff!

Mike

Moviemaker is excellent for doing those short clips to put on the various websites but if you have say a dozen videos and want to put them on DVD they would have to be as one single but large video. There is as far as I could find no means of putting chapters in so one could select individual bird videos to watch. Neither at this time is there a means of writng Blu ray discs which is the way forward for me so that I can view my videos in full HD in due course.
I have recently taken my first steps in shooting video clips (.mov) on my 7D - a family of 8 fox cubs and the Vixen. Somewhat along the same lines as Robert, I merely wanted to do some basic editing (e.g. cutting out the rubbish bits) and burning them to a DVD to play on the TV via a Blue Ray DVD player (which plays "ordinary" DVDs too, of course). Hell's flames, have I struggled? Then I found a trial version of "Any Video to DVD Convertor and Burner" which I figured should do as it says on the tin!
Well, I used Zoom Browse Ex to edit and then the aforesaid software. After a few failed attempts I changed a setting from NTSC to PAL and it worked, I paid to buy the registered version but haven't been able to replicate a DVD which I can play on TV since. The player says "Cannot read the disc". The DVD however carries the burnt files and plays on the computer using programs like PowerDVD/Real player/Windows Media Player etc.,
The question is, does anyone more experienced have any ideas as to what the problem is and what to try?

Any assistance will be most gratefully received.

Regards to all.

Adrian

I have recently taken my first steps in shooting video clips (.mov) on my 7D - a family of 8 fox cubs and the Vixen. Somewhat along the same lines as Robert, I merely wanted to do some basic editing (e.g. cutting out the rubbish bits) and burning them to a DVD to play on the TV via a Blue Ray DVD player (which plays "ordinary" DVDs too, of course). Hell's flames, have I struggled? Then I found a trial version of "Any Video to DVD Convertor and Burner" which I figured should do as it says on the tin!
Well, I used Zoom Browse Ex to edit and then the aforesaid software. After a few failed attempts I changed a setting from NTSC to PAL and it worked, I paid to buy the registered version but haven't been able to replicate a DVD which I can play on TV since. The player says "Cannot read the disc". The DVD however carries the burnt files and plays on the computer using programs like PowerDVD/Real player/Windows Media Player etc.,
The question is, does anyone more experienced have any ideas as to what the problem is and what to try?

Regards to all.

Adrian

Anyone?

Adrian :eek!:

Anyone?

Adrian :eek!:

This recent thread from the AVForums website may have some clues:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/camc...ding-mini-dv-tape-advice-required-please.html

At the moment, I've given up on trying to get HD onto a DVD or similar. Using VideoStudio I've managed half-decently edited SD to DVD without too much fuss, but the world has moved on, and editing now seems to be taking a back-seat... I prefer to spend my money on long lenses, instead of a super fast PC for fairly rare video-editing.

Regards to all.

Adrian

When you put the dvd in your pc and use window explorer to look in it what is the file structure?
For a normal dvd player to play it the file structure needs to have some folders in it called Audio_ts and video_ts.
If that is the structure check in your software to see if it mentions finalise burn anywhere as I have known dvd players in the past to refuse dvds due to them still being 'open' (as in still allow more burning to be done)

Thanks Malcolm and Peteh.

I've recently had some success using "Zoom Browser EX" (to edit and add transitions) and then "Any Video to DVD Converter & Burner" - oddly, and you may be onto something with your "open" comment Peteh, after going through the burn process a second time on the same DVD. More oddly still, having successfully burnt a DVD which happily played through the television, occasional subsequent playbacks produced errors whereby the screen goes black and with jumps to different scenes. All very peculiar! Methinks now that there is perhaps a problem with my Blu-Ray player except that it plays commercial DVDs, no problem.

Thanks again to you both

Regards

Adrian

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back