• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2011 List Going? (1 Viewer)

This morning I birded around Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri and found four (4) late LINCOLN'S SPARROWS, in with some Swamp, Song, American Tree and Harris's Sparrows.

The Lincoln's are usually gone from our area after the first week in November!

This morning I birded around Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri and found four (4) late LINCOLN'S SPARROWS, in with some Swamp, Song, American Tree and Harris's Sparrows.

The Lincoln's are usually gone from our area after the first week in November!

It certainly is an odd year, Larry. Here we usually get only the odd individual of species such as Harris's Sparrow but this year we're seeing flocks of 20+. We're also getting birds that virtually never come to our area, such as Say's Phoebe and Lark Bunting.

323. Lark Bunting

Jeff

Last edited:
4 days in North Norfolk:

187) Western sandpiper
188) Green-winged teal
189) Shag
190) Yellow-browed warbler
191) Long-tailed duck
192) Meally redpoll
193) Rough-legged buzzard
194) Razorbill
195) Velvet scoter
196) Snow bunting
197) White-fronted goose
198) Bean goose
199) Short-eared owl
200) Common crane
201) Little auk
202) Merlin

Well, Brenda and I made it down to Smithville Lake, Smithville Missouri today in our quest for a Snowy Owl. Success times three (3)! We saw two immature females and one immature male.

262. Snowy Owl

Chased a rare western bird that has been seen in Indiana only a handful of times. I saw my target, so I'm up to 529 for the year. It was also a state lifer (number 308), my sixth of the year.

529. Say's Phoebe

Dave

Last edited:
End of Year

324. Greater White-fronted Goose

I'm glad I finally broke the 300 barrier. (Last year I ended with 299!) Maybe next year I'll try for 300 in Texas; this year I reached 279 and that's after missing quite a lot of common residents and migrants.

BTW, I'm even more glad that I got my local county (Harris) year list to over 200 (203). Of course, I wouldn't have managed this if the current drought hadn't pushed all sorts of uncommon birds into our area.

That's probably it for me for this year, since next week we're flying to the UK for Christmas. I'll no doubt see some birds there but I don't keep a British or world list.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Just got back from the Delaware coast, where I added four birds to my Year List, which is now up to 533.

530. Northern Gannet
531. Purple Sandpiper
532. Common Eider
533. Great Cormorant

The gannet and cormorant were ABA Area lifers, numbers 637 and 638, respectively.

Dave

What a way to end the year. I just got back from seeing Indiana's first record of Calliope Hummingbird. It has been coming to a feeder since August, but has been brought to the attention of birders only about a week or so ago. The homeowners graciously allow birders to look for the bird in their backyard as it comes to a heated feeder.

534. Calliope Hummingbird

This bird was a lifer for me (number 2542), as well as an ABA Area lifer (number 639, and my third in five days), and an Indiana state lifer (number 309).

Hopefully it will stick around for a few days so I can add it to my 2012 Year List.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back