• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Exe Egret (1 Viewer)

Gerry Hooper

Certified User
Took a quick shot of this Egret as it flew past me on the 27 feb on the river Exe near Turf.
Looks like aCattle Egret to me what do you think ?

Attachments

• DSCF3082[1].JPG
    DSCF3082[1].JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 337
Thanks for your comments folks, though I'm still not convinced it was a Little Egret.
The bill does look a bit long but it was very yellow.

I am wondering if a trick of light is to play here?

Its not a Cattle Egret as the bill is far too long, I would expect a Great White Egret to be larger overall in terms of body mass (they look long in flight), I would also expect to see much longer legs. If this bird had all dark bill and all dark legs would anyone question it as a Little Egret? Doubt it.

So it's a Little Egret that is either abnormal or its an effect of the camera.

Cheers,

I'm thinking GW Egret on this one. The most important thing is how it looked in the field. I think the "squatness" is probably down to the angle of the shot and the way its been taken. If it was a lot bigger than Little Egrets you see, then it was probably Great White. If it wasn't, then its a Little Egret. It is definately not a Cattle Egret, however I would have no qualms about it being a Little.

Sam

Thanks for your input folks, sorry have deleted all other copies.
Will learn from this and make a point of properly identifying birds before I get the Camera out.
Looking back through other Little Egret Photos it's apparent there are a few with yellow looking bills.
Cheers

Great White Egret for me, the bill is yellow (not clearly visible due to the dull lighting) and the feet are black (unlike the yellow feet of Little Egrets). Agree with Knotsbirder the "squatness" is down to the angle of the shot.

Although it looks like a little, on my monitor is has a very strong, consistently yellow beak and yellowish legs. I have never seen a little with nearly this amount of yellow-though maybe I have just never seen this variation.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back