• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 40D and Schmidt-Cassegrain scope (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
I have got a small Meade Schmidt-Cassegrain astro-telescope and a Canon 40D DSLR. The scope has a 4-inch (100mm) objective, 1000mm focal length and a focal ratio of f10. I am thinking of getting an adapter for it to mount my camera on it to get a lens of 1000mm. Ok, f10 will require excellent light, but it would make an interesting experiment.

What adapter do I need to attach the camera to the scope? Is it, at f10, even worth the bother?

Thanks
VB

I've never heard of a SCT that small. A Maksutov-Casse for sure but not an SC. Anyway, a T adapter is what you need to connect. The infamous auction site or probably a myriad of places will have it. "t adapter canon ef" should net some options. Is this for birds or astro? There may be focal reducers available for that scope too but that's something I haven't used.

Matt

Hi Matt, yes it is an SCT, not a Mak. I got the little gem at the Texas Star Party last year for $100, a bargain. I want to use it for birds, I am not into astrophotography (although I am into plain observing).

Are there any pitfalls or things I need to watch out for, using a T-adapter?

The scope is in the pic, below, with one of my eyepieces attached

Attachments

• 4in_meade.jpg
    4in_meade.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Meade used to make the 2045 which was a 4" SCT. Don't know what f10 looks like on a mirror lens. I use my refractor at f15 quite a bit with my Canon 450D without any trouble but a mirror might be different. It's an inexpensive experiment anyway to get the bits. Just get a T-ring in eos mount and then a scope adapter that screws into the t-ring. If your scope takes 1.25" eyepieces then you need something like this one. Loads of other photography stuff on that website here.

Paul.

As you wont have the 90° diagonal on the scope when it's mounted to the camera you will probably need a 50mm extension tube to allow you to reach focus. You can get ones that go into the eyepiece holder of the scope or you can get ones that screw into the T-thread. The site I linked to carries both.

Paul.

Thanks Paul.

I was given a load of stuff by someone from our astro society a while back, a load of odds and ends, and having a dig round in the box produced a camera adapter. So, I think I just need the T ring (the one in the box is Nikon fit, unfortunately) and I'm sorted. Pity it's back to work tomorrow rather than a quick trip to the camera shop and lots of experimentation!

The pic below shows the scope with the adapter I dug out of the box attached. The scope takes 2" eyepieces, but the adapter is a 1.25" adapter screwed into another attachment that came with the scope.

Attachments

• scope_cam_adapter.jpg
    scope_cam_adapter.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 150
Thanks Paul. I am going to go T-ring hunting in Jessops and the local independant camera shop tomorrow lunchtime but, sadly, no experimentation until Saturday!

I have sent off for an adapter from Telescope House as Jessops didn't have a clue what I was on about while the local independent shop had only Canon FD and Nikon fit ones and, furthermore, wanted an extortionate £18.99 for one. Telescope House sell them, including postage, for half that.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back