• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Service (1 Viewer)

It's certainly preferable to have a nice smooth focus action. I'd rather the focus be done right with no issues.
When I had the CL 8x30 it had a couple of gritty spots in the focus, but I didn't pay it too much mind.
I liked most other aspects of the bino and the imperfect focus action wasn't a deal killer for me.

I do think the new CL will have improved focus just like the Field Pro SV's have been improved.
Tried a FP SV 8x32 a few weeks back for the first time and found the focus action to be excellent.
Was the FP SV 8x32 as smooth as a Nikon?

Was the FP SV 8x32 as smooth as a Nikon?

I don't have any experience with Nikon roofs, but I owned the SE 8x32 porro in the past which I thought had very smooth and precise focus.
So, it's hard for me to say, but I did find the FP SV nice and smooth with overall equal tension...felt real nice. One thing that I noticed right away was the upgraded armor which feels luxurious ... a silky smooth feel. I felt like buying it on the spot and had to talk myself down.

I don't have any experience with Nikon roofs, but I owned the SE 8x32 porro in the past which I thought had very smooth and precise focus.
So, it's hard for me to say, but I did find the FP SV nice and smooth with overall equal tension...felt real nice. One thing that I noticed right away was the upgraded armor which feels luxurious ... a silky smooth feel. I felt like buying it on the spot and had to talk myself down.
All the Nikon's have good focusers even the low end ones. I hope Swarovski improves their focusers because I admit they do have good optics. It's funny how little things can make you want a binocular like the armour. The Nikon MHG 8x42 feels nice too. The eye relief just didn't work out for me. Thanks for the answer. Maybe like you I will look at the new Swarovski 8x30 CL. If the focuser is smooth and the FOV is larger and they make eye placement easier with the "light box" it could be a nice handy binocular.

Last edited:
. Maybe like you I will look at the new Swarovski 8x30 CL. If the focuser is smooth and the FOV is larger and they make eye placement easier with the "light box" it could be a nice handy binocular.

I'm looking forward to some initial reviews and more photos, but it seems we'll have to wait some time.

I AGREE! Quite honestly....the new Field Pro SV focus adjustment is amazingly smooth. While out biding yesterday I was comparing the SV 10X42 with the SV Field Pro 10X50. The difference is REAL. So equal in both directions and smooth.

You have more will power than I do! ;)

:t:
I AGREE! Quite honestly....the new Field Pro SV focus adjustment is amazingly smooth. While out biding yesterday I was comparing the SV 10X42 with the SV Field Pro 10X50. The difference is REAL. So equal in both directions and smooth.

You have more will power than I do! ;)
Chuck. You are a real asset to Bird Forum! It is really helpful to have member that has such a wide range of binoculars and uses them in the field. It is nice to have somebody that has the motivation and ability to acquire the latest binoculars like the Nikon MHG and Leica Noctovid and then describe their strong points and weak points and then describe how they perform in the field. That is extremely helpful to the rest of us because we may not be able to try all these binoculars. Then you make it more interesting with all your pictures comparing the sizes of the different binoculars. You write in a knowledgeable but more common sense style that everybody understands. We have many members on Bird Forum that are very knowledgeable about optics but few that have the all the latest models at their fingertips. Most of your reviews are right on and I pick up a lot of information from them. Keep up the good work. I enjoy your posts.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to some initial reviews and more photos, but it seems we'll have to wait some time.
Sometimes it is hard to go by the reviews although they can tell you if you should try a binocular. In the end you have to try it yourself. The new Swarovski 8x30 CL could be a really nice compact birding binocular.

Chuck. You are a real asset to Bird Forum! It is really helpful to have member that has such a wide range of binoculars and uses them in the field. It is nice to have somebody that has the motivation and ability to acquire the latest binoculars like the Nikon MHG and Leica Noctovid and then describe their strong points and weak points and then describe how they perform in the field. That is extremely helpful to the rest of us because we may not be able to try all these binoculars. Then you make it more interesting with all your pictures comparing the sizes of the different binoculars. You write in a knowledgeable but more common sense style that everybody understands. We have many members on Bird Forum that are very knowledgeable about optics but few that have the all the latest models at their fingertips. Most of your reviews are right on and I pick up a lot of information from them. Keep up the good work. I enjoy your posts.

+1! :king:

Ted

+1! :king:

Ted

Thanks for that guys! Very nice!

I have learned PILES from folks on BF such as yourselves here....and it never stops.

I am fortunate to be able to hopefully contribute a few useful things and a privilege to do so.....

Sometimes it is hard to go by the reviews although they can tell you if you should try a binocular. In the end you have to try it yourself. The new Swarovski 8x30 CL could be a really nice compact birding binocular.
Agree with you there ... I take all reviews with a grain of salt, but I do enjoy reading them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back