• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carving (1 Viewer)

cobalt32

Hoping to find some bird carvers here.
I mostly carve birds and rely a lot on photos , Ihave tried taking photos myself but my gear is`nt up to the job.
I make most of my templates for carving myself,mostly for stickmaking,but one or two of the carvings seem a bit dead ,others i am pleased with ,so hoping to use some phots here as a guide.
So hope to get something different, i have tried carving a woodpecker clinging onto a hiking pole but dont seem to have captures the birds characture, but not sure why?
any pointers?

I will put some hiking poles on here when i can . There are a few retsrictions on when i can load them as i have only just joined.I have only been carving about 15mths so its been a learning curve both in carving and learning about birds.
I enjoyed your website and the detail of the carving is impressive
But always enoy other stickmakers work

okay mark havnt got one of the woodpecker yet still not painted,but heres a couple anyway if i can load the,not exactly the best computer worker, and sure the keysmove whilst i type or try to
004.JPG

p&j hiking (104).JPG

p&j hiking (37).JPG

Last edited:
Fabulous carvings you have shown to us here

Are they for the tops of walking sticks?

What other areas/uses do you cover with your carvings?

Regards
Kathy
x

Yes there all for hiking pole toppers ,I mostly do wild life ,birds mainly but some gargoyles and punch and judy puppets .I harvest with permission from a local site hazel shanks as the people in charge of the woods dont bother with hazel its just used as a windbreak for the trees they plant.But there getting old and never been coppiced and it dosnt help them grow. if not coppiced .
So hopefully it will help the hazel and provided other benifits to wild life but i am careful what and where i take them from and only harvest them in when the sap stops rising
Birds are a favourite but getting good photos is difficult particularly front views as i usually make my own patterns and my camera is a joke for taking wildlife so its a chioce of carving or photography
But thanks for your kind words

a tad more carving done .started a black belly whistling duck and a mallard hen .always looking for new subjects
heres where i am at
mallardwhistling duck 006.JPG

mallrd 007.JPG

Seeing those sparrow paintimg has made me look at more common garden birds interesting subject matter for carving and mouting on hiking poles
Another black bellied whistleing duck just needs mouting on the hiking pole
black bellied whistle duck 013.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back