• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hide clamps (1 Viewer)

Vivian Darkbloom

Has anyone an opinion on, or experience with, 1) The Velbon Delta hide clamp or 2) The Opticron BC -2 hide clamp (the sturdier one)?
I'm particularly interested in the ease of using the head with a 80mm scope.
They are both similarly priced and weight difference is negligible.

I have not used one with a 'scope, but I have a Velbon Delta that I use with my camera and 400mm lens. The results are pretty good and a lot less fuss than trying to erect a tripod in a hide! I should say, the centre column of my tripod fits the clamp so it makes for a useful accessory to keep in the kit bag.

I use a Velbon Delta hide clamp for my scope, only a GS 52 ED now but until last year it was a Kowa 823 and I have never had a problem with the hide clamp. Because it uses the centre column of the tripod there's no worry about the quick release plate fitting both tripod and hide clamp. I keep it permanently attached to the centre column of the tripod, after leaving it at home a couple of times when I used to keep it in my rucksack.
The only downside to any hide clamp is a flimsy hide shelf and that is something you can't do anything about.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back