• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Testing the Zeiss Terra 8x25 (1 Viewer)

Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED Compact Binocular -----

What do you think the story is on every "stateside retailer" being out of this binocular?

Everywhere I have looked they are on back order---- Do you think the next shipments out will be different?
Maybe made somewhere else ? Different quality? Just curious---

Maybe the word is out, they are a very nice binocular, and a great
value.

Jerry

Sadly, OP has reported they've been pushed back until at least the middle of May for delivery of these. I had to ask them to cancel my order in spite of the wonderful price. I didn't really need them in any event as I have some Victory 10x25's.

Update on replacement 8x25 and on stock availability

In previous posts (#19 and 39) in this thread, I described my purchase of a Zeiss 8x25 Terra, its floppy hinges, and the excellent (though slow, because of stock availability) customer service of Zeiss in sending me a replacement with tighter hinges (though not tight as preferred) and smoother focus. At the time, I had the feeling that the optics were nice in many ways but that something was off with obtaining critical sharpness. First impressions about that sort of issue are usually a red flag, but I tried to be optimistic when I wrote the following.

...The view doesn't seem lacking in any way by itself, though in side-by-side comparison to my Leica 8x20 Ultravid, the finest details are not as easy to see in the Zeiss. Perhaps it is just a matter of relative familiarity with the bins. Perhaps, as with my Zeiss 8x32 FL, it is a matter of requiring perfect eye placement to prevent astigmatism and other aberrations, unlike my experiences with Leica, Swarovski, and Nikon bins, which seem more tolerant of eye placement... Overall, I'm pleased with the Zeiss 8x25 Terra. I think it will be an excellent bin for my intended purpose--to provide a good bin to an 8 year-old with small IPD. She'll also appreciate the easy reach to the focus knob and the close (under 6 foot) close focus...

Well, since then I've had time to give the bins a thorough trial, play with the diopter, get to know them etc, and I can now say with confidence that they are optically flawed. My Zeiss 8x20 Victory and Leica 8x20 Ultravid are far superior, which is to say razor sharp by comparison. Used by themselves, with low expectations, or by someone with low acuity, these 8x25 Terra would probably be considered a fine binocular. What's wrong? Something about the left side keeps it from reaching critical focus, even in the center. Since I'm left eye dominant, it is especially bothersome to me. I haven't done a boosted magnification star test, and I don't really care what is wrong because it's a moot point since the verdict is that I find them unusable. I do note, at night, that I get big spike off the roof prisms, but that is true on both left and right sides. On a positive note, the zero position of the diopter is accurate, and both left and right sides focus in perfect synchrony, so if it weren't for whatever is ever-so-slightly-off that keeps the left side from reaching that last bit of focus, they'd be a breath of fresh air (or long-time reliable Japanese precision) compared to the mechanically imprecise bins (generally of Chinese manufacture) we so often see these days at this price point.

What's my next step? I called Zeiss and spoke to their excellent customer service. They will do another replacement, but unfortunately, the new stock is still not in and I was told wouldn't be in until June some time, so I'm holding on to these in the mean time for my 8 year old friend to use. I was also told that the issues with the floppy hinges and other mechanical issues were supposed to be addressed with production of this incoming stock.

--AP

Bummer...I've been very happy with mine. Reminds me of a time when I put up a new garage door opener. Stanley ended up sending me four of them before I got one that worked right (and then it was an older model without the sensors). They were good about it and I got real good at installing them :smoke:

I have two sets of the 8x25 Terra bins..[one is the wife's]...the one set has hinges that would just barely hold a set....now that I've used them a few times they don't hold at all....just sort of wilt..... guess I will have to get in touch with customer service.....otherwise I think
they are nice bins......

BTW...why are they replacing the whole unit when all it has is a loose hinge....???

8x25 hinges

I've had my Terra 8x25s for a year and the hinges are pretty loose. Makes them difficult to use. I've e-mailed Zeiss UK asking them if it's possible to tighten them. I'll let you know what they say.

Apart from this they're fantastic bins, and brilliant for slipping in a pocket for a sports event or when I'm just strolling round town.

BTW...why are they replacing the whole unit when all it has is a loose hinge....???

Gunny
If I was Mr Zeiss I wouldn't repair them. I would send unsatisfactory units back to the maker and knock the cost of them and the freight charge off the next payment. This would increase the quality of future shipments I think.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is why they are replacing rather than repairing.

Lee

like I said in thread 46 the hinge on one of the 8x25 terras was to loose for comfort....sent it in for repair back in mid May.....they said they would be replacing the unit....but that they were out of stock....contacted them earlier this week and after 3 months they are still waiting on a shipment.....will let you know when I get a replacement....and how they compare with the other older pair that my wife has been using....

OK-this may be/is a dumb question, but how does one use these?

My pair of the 8x25 Terras arrived today-my first pocket binoculars-and realize these are a different animal from normal binoculars

I attached the neck strap, like I always do with binoculars but worried re sweat falling on the EPs which have no rain guards.
I could get optional rainguards but then will not fit in small case.
May be easier to hold without neck strap? wrist strap? no strap?
Pocket only would work-but I do not have pockets in the summer.

So, how does one use/carry the pocket compacts ?

thanks,
edj

Last edited:
Edwin:

These are small pocket binoculars, just get out there and use it. I suppose you will need some
time to get acquainted.

Don't expect these small types to be as enjoyable and easy to use as larger binoculars.

That is not going to happen.

Enjoy in good health.

Jerry

Edwin:

These are small pocket binoculars, just get out there and use it. I suppose you will need some
time to get acquainted.

Don't expect these small types to be as enjoyable and easy to use as larger binoculars.

That is not going to happen.

Enjoy in good health.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you for your somewhat guarded posts on the pocket compacts-they convinced me to start with the Terra to see if they are a value to my observing.
If I enjoy then, I can always move up to the Victory or CL --or be happy with what I have.
If I do not enjoy them, I have saved money and frustration on the more expensive pockets.

yes I do "need some time to get acquainted"

edj

Last edited:
I don't use pocket bins if it looks like it will rain and in fact rarely use them outside. So in the car, the office window and so on.

If I wanted to take one out regularly then I would fit a rainguard and buy an appropriate aftermarket case for storage and transit protection. Zeiss do a nice Cordura case for 32mm binos which will have enough room for pocket binos and a cleaning cloth and your favourite gum.

Lee

If I enjoy then, I can always move up to the Victory or CL --or be happy with what I have.
If I do not enjoy them, I have saved money and frustration on the more expensive pockets.

I read a comparison on Cloudy nights that placed the Terra 25 above the CL in almost every area,from fit to Image quality,except a mm eye relief advantage for the CL and a shade brighter due to delivering 7.8X versus 8.2X for the terra...
The neck strap issue grows problematic as the size of binoculars decrease,I agree on that..when the bulk of the strap is bigger than the bulk of the binos and you aimed for ultimate compactness you feel strange..You want to have a strap or lanyard in case the bins need to be secured around the neck,but dont want it to be in the way ..I found the design of the strap lugs in my son's Pentax Papilio subcompacts to be a great solution..a quick release ,super integrated click-n-attach design that allows to fit or dettach the strap to the bins in a click..is a very good solution for small units..I appreciated the solution because I always thought that manufacturers are not very creative with the design of straps or strap lugs..They could create such elegant solutions with little thought and yet....

OK-this may be/is a dumb question, but how does one use these?

My pair of the 8x25 Terras arrived today-my first pocket binoculars-and realize these are a different animal from normal binoculars

I attached the neck strap, like I always do with binoculars but worried re sweat falling on the EPs which have no rain guards.
I could get optional rainguards but then will not fit in small case.
May be easier to hold without neck strap? wrist strap? no strap?
Pocket only would work-but I do not have pockets in the summer.

So, how does one use/carry the pocket compacts ?

thanks,
edj

We each have an 8x25 CL-Pocket, which as you might know does not come with rainguards (boooo!!!). We like to carry them around our necks, but were also worried about stuff getting on the oculars. We purchased two rainguards made by Opticron. They fit perfectly. Very inexpensive as well. IIRC, you can see these at the Eagle Optics site.......

I own the 8x25 Terra and have recently had the opportunity to compare it to the 8x25 CL. While the Terra is a great value and the view punches above it's price for sure...the CL is on a different level - brighter, sharp, more contrasty, low CA and with a wonderfully easy view for a 25 mm. I could see myself using it as a primary birding bin if needed.

Of course, at nearly three times the price, it really should beat the Terra on most counts - and it does apart from some glare. It doesn't diminish the Terra in my eyes but does show just how good a 25 mm can really get.

Seems like the unitl of the CL reviewed in cloudy night was not perfectly collimated,..perhaps a case of less tan perfect unit meeting a cherry..

I own the 8x25 Terra and have recently had the opportunity to compare it to the 8x25 CL. While the Terra is a great value and the view punches above it's price for sure...the CL is on a different level - brighter, sharp, more contrasty, low CA and with a wonderfully easy view for a 25 mm. I could see myself using it as a primary birding bin if needed.

Of course, at nearly three times the price, it really should beat the Terra on most counts - and it does apart from some glare. It doesn't diminish the Terra in my eyes but does show just how good a 25 mm can really get.

Totally agree. Terra is value, but doesn't compare.

A month ago I wrote on this thread "I've had my Terra 8x25s for a year and the hinges are pretty loose. Makes them difficult to use. I've e-mailed Zeiss UK asking them if it's possible to tighten them. I'll let you know what they say."

I sent them back to the UK repair agents, and a month later, I was sent a brand new pair from Zeiss Germany with nice firm hinges. Pretty good customer service.

Last edited:
Jeff..
I posted about this earlier in this thread but feel the need to bitch again......I sent my 8x25 into Zeiss USA 4 months ago.....same loose hinges issue...sounds like this is a design flaw if they cant fix the almost new unit...
they said they would be replacing them instead of fixing....but that they were waiting on a fresh shipment ....still waiting for them to replace it.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back