• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Midlands County News (1 Viewer)

Just stepped on a Woodcock in Alison's 3 paddock Netherton hill. It seem to drop down towards the Daphne pool per Todd Chater
Good Birding YAMYAM

Grey Wagtail x2 in my Back Garden today I think this note worthy only being one mile from west Bromwich town centre
Good Birding YAMYAM

Halesowen, overnight in 7hrs 2030-0330hrs. 87 Redwing & 2 Song Thrush. Peak 27 Redwing calls an hour 2320-0020 per Craig Round
Good Birding YAMYAM

6+ Hawfinches in Stourbridge at Mary Stevens Park flew over pool at 3.55pm yesterday per Phil Parsons
Good Birding YAMYAM

Tipton (over) 9 hawfinch towards Dudley. Possible waxwing towards Rowley /Portway Hill per Mel Jones
Good Birding YAMYAM

Tipton (over) 9 hawfinch towards Dudley. Possible waxwing towards Rowley /Portway Hill per Mel Jones
Good Birding YAMYAM

Just had hawfinch fly over golds hill West Brom towards hill top West Brom at 8am also redpolls per Dave Waite
Good Birding YAMYAM

Bilston 2 Hawfinch & 11 Redwing south west low over garden this morning per Hughie King
Good Birding YAMYAM

3 hawfinches at wton racecourse this am 2 landed for bit before going towards city with 1 over towards aldersley stadium per Gaz Clement's
Good Birding YAMYAM

4 hawfinch over sheepwash urban park at around 12 30 Per Mark Sheppard also willow tit around per Mark Shepard
Good Birding YAMYAM

Mealy Redpoll
It was with some sadness that I realised that this would be the last time I could tick these birds on my year list as in just 37 days they will become the nominate form of the complex and our resident Lesser Redpolls will be relegated to sub-species status once again. I still find this quite hard to accept, as most Lessers show a much darker, sometimes almost a mahogany brown tone of plumage and a much slimmer structure which contrasts markedly with the type of birds I was looking at today - still, I suppose that you cant argue with D.N.A. (well not so far at least) although I suspect that this complex will merit further review before too long? per Chaz Mason
Good Birding YAMYAM

10 Common Gulls and 5 YLG in the Bartley Roost yesterday with little change today. 6 Goldeneye still present per Terry Hinnet
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
West Bromwich Unbelievable just had 4 Hawfinch land in trees bottom of Garden !! Garden list now on 74
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Halesowen, 23-24/11.showing signs of tailing off now but a few thrushes still moving, 18 Redwing & 1 S.Thrush 1945-0345hrs per Craig Round
Good Birding YAMYAM

Mealy Redpoll
It was with some sadness that I realised that this would be the last time I could tick these birds on my year list as in just 37 days they will become the nominate form of the complex and our resident Lesser Redpolls will be relegated to sub-species status once again. I still find this quite hard to accept, as most Lessers show a much darker, sometimes almost a mahogany brown tone of plumage and a much slimmer structure which contrasts markedly with the type of birds I was looking at today - still, I suppose that you cant argue with D.N.A. (well not so far at least) although I suspect that this complex will merit further review before too long? per Chaz Mason
Good Birding YAMYAM

I thought IOC now split Lesser and Common. Wasn't it in their latest batch of changes?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back