• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keeping records (2 Viewers)

Mike Beer

Hello
Is there a program I can download to keep records of my sightings. Im trying to keep a list but Im getting in a mess.
Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike
I use Jeff's program, find it HERE. It is Access based but Jeff does have a runtime version of access that you can download.
I've been using this for several years now and it does the job.

I use eBird to keep up with my sightings. It makes things much easier for me and easily keeps separate state/county/year/month lists as well.

It isn't a program you can download but it is immensely useful.

If you want a simple ''Ive seen'' record try 'printablebirdchecklists.homestead.com. If you download in Excel you can block in colour your sightings and add info if you want
Simple and free!

I'll add another vote for eBird. It's easy to use, and the data you enter aids our understanding of bird distribution. All you have to do is enter daily checklists, and it will automatically keep track of you life list as well as year lists, county lists, site lists, and whatever else you might be interested in.

I'm sure Ebird is invaluable in America but in Britain, Birdtrack is the one. Not only does it organise your records but it makes sure they get submitted to where they will do most good (surveys etc).

I'm British but bird watch in Saudi Arabia. I use the "American" ebird online database. I like the maps it creates by species and time. I chose it simply because birders in near-by countries use it and there was (and still is) little data input anywhere on Saudi Arabia

I am slowing inputting all my old records for Libya on it too

http://www.birdingforalark.blogspot.com

I use Bird Journal. You have to pay for it but it's so easy to use, there's different versions to, UK, Europe, World.
Gives you graphs, somewhere to put your visit photos. You can compare year to year, week to week etc.

Mike, great question. For the UK, I don't know. If you are in North America, eBird is the leader hands down. eBird is the largest single database of bird sightings in the world, gathering 3-5 million sightings per month. It is run by the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology. All of your sightings are instantly available to you, and to scientists. eBird also keeps track of your life, year and month lists for world, country, state, county ... whatever political region you are interested in. All of the data flows into the Avian Knowledge Network, which is the authoritative worldwide database of bird sightings used by scientists.

eBird is free to use online, but is a bit clunky to use in the field on an iPhone or Android. BirdsEye Bird Log is an app that makes field data entry into eBird much easier.

Another vote for Bird Journal. It's attractive, easy software, and has an excellent "Export to eBird" facility. There is an iphone version, but so far just for GB.

A locally installed programme can give much better ability to manipulate and view your data than ebird alone.

bird recording app for Android ?

does anyone know of a decent app for Android fones to keep a record of your sightings ?
I have done quite a few searches and found plenty of I phone and I pad apps but none for Android users. I currently use a Galaxy S2 .

I'm also after a simple excel or word format list of all UK birds for my Win7 PC but I can't seem to find one of those either :-C

thanks Roger thats very similar to the sort of thing I was looking for. what I really want though is a simple UK birdlist that I can tick off as I spot them . I want to avoid having to connect to the net on my fone for the program to work if I can
. I hate getting used to new fones :C

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back