• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

deskbound (1 Viewer)

Strandman

Loooooong and boring phone conference at the office this evening so inspired by Buzzard12 here's the biro put to productive use- a scan of the top left corner torn from my notes. Technical details:

- biro a bic, estimated at #5 on the blinman scale http://www.blinman.com/biro.htm

- brown colour is cold office coffee flicked and dragged with forefinger, although next time I am doing a Hawfinch I think a mixed IrnBru/Lucozade wash may be the thing to try on crown and cheeks..

Ed K

Attachments

• 1.68postinghawfinch.jpg
    1.68postinghawfinch.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 157
What can I say Ed?!!....(Glad you were bored?)

Must say that my current favourite biro is somewhere between stage 6 and 7 . The cap goes straight in the bin from the start. Then when I find one with a good tip and even ink dispersal I start to chew on it intermittently between sketches! Its not deleberate you understand, it just happens...

Hawfinch is cracking too by the way...

...inspirational use of cafeine.

Last edited:
Love the Hawfinch Ed.

I just hope your boss doesn't ask you to provide the minutes for the meeting since you were paying such close attention!

buzzard12 said:
What can I say Ed?!!....(Glad you were bored?)

Must say that my current favourite biro is somewhere between stage 6 and 7 . The cap goes straight in the bin from the start. Then when I find one with a good tip and even ink dispersal I start to chew on it intermittently between sketches! Its not deleberate you understand, it just happens...

Hawfinch is cracking too by the way...

...inspirational use of cafeine.

I had a quick try at jazzing up the colours on crown and cheeks over breakfast with a ribena/orange squash mix but nothing really stains with the same intensity as coffee. Could try blood..or even paint I guess

Ed K

ed keeble said:
I had a quick try at jazzing up the colours on crown and cheeks over breakfast with a ribena/orange squash mix but nothing really stains with the same intensity as coffee. Could try blood..or even paint I guess

Ed K
You wanna be steering well clear of paint, young sir - it'll make you a madman!

ed keeble said:

Ed K

These are just pigments of your imagination!

Dave

Dave B said:
These are just pigments of your imagination!
Dave

Deskbound again today- but my gaolers have given me a sachet of soy with my lunch..

so all being well should be able to post something with both a literal and a metaphorical oriental flavour this evening..

Ed

Here we are- a slightly more advanced deskbound effort this time- heavy biro work combined with mixed media- finger painted soy sauce/white coffee/black coffee. It is intended to be instantly recognisable as a Long-toed Stint....

Ed K

Attachments

• 86Kpostingltsstint-copy.jpg
    86Kpostingltsstint-copy.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 154
Jeez! These are absolutely superb, Ed! Good use of the soy...

For everyone here's sake (though probably not yours!), I hope your work remains boring, and we get to see a few more.

You are one talented (and mad) boy, Ed - why no like soy sauce? (other than as tinting media) and who's coffees are you pilfering? (or is the coffee machine being raped for your art!!!!). I wouldn't peronally know a long-toed stint if it trod on my foot, which by the sounds of it, it could from several paces - but it is a truly sensitive and textural piece of work. Probably the only bit of work you've done today - ha ha!

timwootton said:
- why no like soy sauce? (other than as tinting media)

Plenty like soy sauce, but the great news is that even after you have used a sachet for its intended purpose there's enough left to finish off a medium-sized biro drawing- so I am not mad after all. Just making wise use of the dregs.

Not sure where to go next with this particular art form, but maybe I should do a Little Mustard.

Ed K

Whatever - just this time SWALLOW it more SWIFTly.
Ah well it is late and it is my birthday, so I'm off to bed to the strains of ...
" . . . move over starling . . "

ed keeble said:
Here we are- a slightly more advanced deskbound effort this time- heavy biro work combined with mixed media- finger painted soy sauce/white coffee/black coffee. It is intended to be instantly recognisable as a Long-toed Stint....

Ed K

Superb! Draw any more and it will either fly off the page or peck you!

Well it's been a bit of a busy week but when the wind blew yesterday the desktop doodling hand could not be stilled..here's some ultra quickfire skuas lifting off having sat out a storm (in the spring if their plumage is anything to go by)

The usual media for this particular thread- biro+ finger painted strong coffee + a little splash of orange and mango smoothie for the cheek markings. Sadly the coffee stains come out a bit gingery- so not quite dark enough for the satanic goth-hound look one likes to see on ones skuas...but atmospheric I think.

Attachments

• 84kbSKUAS.jpg
    84kbSKUAS.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 149
ed keeble said:
Well it's been a bit of a busy week but when the wind blew yesterday the desktop doodling hand could not be stilled..here's some ultra quickfire skuas lifting off having sat out a storm (in the spring if their plumage is anything to go by)

The usual media for this particular thread- biro+ finger painted strong coffee + a little splash of orange and mango smoothie for the cheek markings. Sadly the coffee stains come out a bit gingery- so not quite dark enough for the satanic goth-hound look one likes to see on ones skuas...but atmospheric I think.

I love them they are outstanding!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back