• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon battery issue (1 Viewer)

Rob Laughton

Bird, bird, bird...
Hi all

Just this Friday I had taken delivery of a SH 1DMKIV Body. After my 7D had died on me. I had charged the battery up to full ready to use and at my first attempt to use my camera in anger it would not switch on! Forward till I got home, I had assumed the battery had somehow lost its charge? But on plugging it in to the charger I found it was still full!?

I put it straight back in the camera and it was back on again! I suppose my question is a) has anyone else had this happen and b) should I be worried and send back the camera or battery for a replacement or refund?

Many thanks in advance!

A few thoughts

1) Very cold weather will degrade the performance of most batteries to the point where they will die early. However unless you were in exceptionally cold weather I wouldn't think normal cold would render a fully charged battery dead. Unlikely but one of the only way a battery can lose charge early - warming it up again restores the charge somewhat.

2) The copper contacts on the camera/battery might be a little dirty; a careful clean might help ensure a clean good contact.

3) It might be the battery hadn't made a 100% contact and thus needed a small jiggle. A once-in-a-million occurrence.

4) A 3rd party battery might not have normal performance and might have more chance of glitches if its a very poor quality 3rd party battery. Own brand and good quality 3rd party should deliver faithful performance.

I'd clean the contacts and right now chalk this up as a once off. If you get repeated dead-spells where nothing works then consider replacing the battery and/or going in for repair. Ideally see if anyone has a battery you can swap/try for a day if its a regular error - at least then you can test in advance if its battery related or not before spending out.

Hi Overread

Many thanks for your reply. I will give the contacts a clean.

It wasn't cold, I was in Dorset so shouldn't have been this. It's also an original Canon battery where the camera has said its performance is good. I tried jiggling it about but with no luck at the time. I have repeated the same process I did the day before leaving the camera in the bag overnight with the battery in it charged and it is working fine. So, as you say, it must have just been a one off occurrence!

Best regards

Also it won't hurt to recalibrate the battery(mentioned in instruction manual)Basically drains the battery right down & then recharges it.

Cheers

Steve.

I have had this happen a couple of times and ater thinking the camera was broken, it just turned out that the battery cover lever wasn't fully turned. The camera won't turn on until it is fully rotated. Just in case ;););)

If you checked thie lever, my apologies......

Michael.

Thanks Stevo. I'm going to try that.

Michael. Could have been the case but I took the battery in and out many times in an effort to get it going. But I will bare this in mind in future, cheers!

Just another point that I neglected to put that would help others but not yourself with the 1D camera - if you're using a battery pack they can come loose from time to time (And if you over tighten the screw it can break the cogs inside and then get locked on forever). So sometimes remove and reinstalling the battery grip can resolve a power connection failure from otherwise fresh batteries.

1D cameras have the grip built in and a different battery design so its not a concern.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back