• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How long until baby robins leave their nest? (1 Viewer)

laura

Hello everyone,

We are in the uncomfortable situation of having recent hatched baby robins in a nest just outside the house. The bad news is that we were about to have some landscaping done. Now I could never in good mind allow it to take place as long as there are babies. So -- my question to you experts is what might be the estimated time between now (let's estimate the birds hatched yesterday, June 12th) and when we might comfortably be able to have the landscapers come?

I don't have a clue! One week? Two weeks? Three weeks? More? And, once they do leave the nest, I know they are on the ground for a few days before they can fly, so how long, total, do we have to wait?

Thank you!

Laura
Boulder Co

Laura,
Good luck with your little ones. They should fledge within 14 to 16 days from hatching and then will probably stick close to the nest for just a few days more.

I'm glad I checked here! We're trying to do some work on our deck, and Mama Robin is sitting on 3 little hatchlings and one unhatched blue egg, but we'll wait until the little ones are out on their own. For now, my 7 year old and the dog are getting quite the thrill out of looking at them (although Mama's probably worried about the dog drooling - but they are totally safe and out of reach!). Thanks for the info!

Baby Robins

Hi there,
I had to post a reply after reading about your babies Laura. I know this was posted a few years ago but I'm curious if your baby Robins made it, flew away without any problems. We have been watching a momma Robin and her 3 babies for almost two weeks now. It's been quite alot of fun and interesting. The nest is hanging from a basket that was left hanging on my backyard fence. The babies are now 12 days old. I'm glad to find out they should be flying out of their nest in a couple of days. I would love to touch them (just because) but afraid momma will abandon them so I won't for now. Once they fly out, I understand they're on the ground for sometime before they actually fly away. How long is this period? We have a cat that often goes in the back yard and although she's clueless with birds and too old to bother, I know the babies might be afraid so we'll try not to let the cat out. We've been quite proud of this family of Robins in our backyard and feel like a momma bird myself watching them morning noon and night....(literally, before work, on my lunch hour and after work). So my questions are: 1. How long will they remain on the ground and 2. Can we touch them? :-O

Wow, all these nice people, reorganizing plans for robins - that's great. Robins are nice neighbors, and I see people really respect them!

Sandram, your fledglings should just be a few days hopping about, hiding in bushes until they develop their abilities to fly up to a branch to perch. This is the most dangerous time for them obviously and it would be good for you not to draw attention to them (or distress them) when they are so vulnerable. In general, it would be better not to handle baby birds; however, if one was in danger and you were able to put it up on a branch, I think that would be a good idea.

We have a nest of baby robbins in the back yard. They hatched 4 or 5 days ago. The parents dive bomb our dog every time she goes outside. She is a Golden Retriever. She isn't even interested in the birds. The second I open the door for her to go out they both dive bomb her. She immediately comes back in. She doesn't bark at them or try to fight back. She refuses to go outside to potty so now we have to let her in the front and sometimes the birds come to the front and dive bomb her there! So when are these little ones going to fly so we can have our yard back?

Hi Amy- Welcome to Birdforum!

According to the Cornell Lab's "Life History" page on the American Robin, the time from hatching to fledging is an average of 13 days. The timing may vary a bit, depending on exactly which day hatching occurred, but it gives you an outside limit for how long the young will remain in the nest.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back