• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (1 Viewer)

Hey all - how is everyone??

Thought I'd dig this thread up again instead of hijacking someone else's or starting another one....just to prove I am still alive and painting! Here's several plates from the accursed 'forthcoming' book that keeps me far too busy for not enough money and a little commission for a friend who had to wait far too long for it....(what's a couple of year's between mates..?!)

melanesia plate 49 (Large).jpgmelanesia plate 52 (Large).jpgmelanesia plate 60 (Large).jpgTwo-barred Crossbill (Large).jpg

the pigeons are amazing, are they really that blue?
the pages are beyond my ken, wow, what a lot of work and what a lot of knowledge it must have taken...So glad to see your work, it's inspiring...

Great to see more contributions Ads - the plates look superb! How many you working on? The two-barred painting is sublime and well worth the wait. Splendid.

Thanks alot Colleen - yeah, they're that blue...!
Cheers Tim - done about 30 so far, another 7 or so to go and left the best til last - pittas, kingfishers and hornbills. It'll just be great to paint something other than passerines.....yay!
Did you bother with the SWLA this year??

Last edited:
Thanks alot Colleen - yeah, they're that blue...!
Cheers Tim - done about 30 so far, another 7 or so to go and left the best til last - pittas, kingfishers and hornbills. It'll just be great to paint something other than passerines.....yay!
Did you bother with the SWLA this year??
I didn't, actually. I had a mind to make a couple of pieces but got sidetracked with work for the gallery and this exhibition that's upcoming. How about you?

glad to see you're still alive! Superb plates, I don't know how you stay focussed on them, but very glad you do. The 2 bar is a little gem.

Thans for the compliments everyone - praise indeed coming from you Andrew!! More on the way I promise! Nick, did you put anything in for the SWLA? Liking yiour output at the mo - maybe I should work pissed a bit more...!! ;)

Thans for the compliments everyone - praise indeed coming from you Andrew!! More on the way I promise! Nick, did you put anything in for the SWLA? Liking yiour output at the mo - maybe I should work pissed a bit more...!! ;)

Popped six in, three large three small, rather than just big ones seeing as space is the problem, maybe that'll help - so fingers crossed.

Would be interesting to see you get those emarginations right when pissed - I feel a challenge coming on!

Cheers Mark...looks like I should be doing some more species like the Xbill then....cool, really quite enjoyed doing that one too

I'm so tired of this book now I don't think I'd care.....!!

Know where your coming from on that one!! got a book thats been keeping me
going for a number of years now on Peregrines. Not sure when the illustrations will finally be done but one of the Co Authors said hopefully befor he slips this mortal coil!!!! Ha Ha.. Its mor of a labour of love for me though so I don't really mind .

The acceptance for this year's SWLA exhibition were put online today and mine was one of them which I'm pleased about!

Ankole Attendants (Large).jpg

painting is fantastic, almost surreal....you did and amazing job on the composition which is devilishly complex and yet perfectly realized....a lot of strong elements to blend and not lose the birds....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back