• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (1 Viewer)

Cracking job - as Colleen points out, very clever comp. Particularly using the polled cattle in the fore of the herd allowing the space which would otherwise be taken up by the horns to open and let the landscape in and the birds out. Superb! And congrats - well deserved (just hope for a sale, now).

excellent, and definitely one that will stand out! Love this one. Where are the results online? Can only see the usual homepage.

Thanks for the replies Colleen and Tim....your analyses of the comp are alot more insightful than the actual process involved - I kinda just stuck things where they looked right!!
Cheers for that Nick - the results are under 'Call for entries' which then brings up another page with a photo-box for 'Selection Notification' and the numbers are listed in there

Thanks for the replies Colleen and Tim....your analyses of the comp are alot more insightful than the actual process involved - I kinda just stuck things where they looked right!!

One more vote for the accomplished composition. But I know what you mean about just sticking things where they looked right. And they do look right!

Love those crossbills and I look forward to seeing the larger pic at SWALA. Well deserved, I hope it sells for you.

Mike

Thought I'd make up for not doing any birdy stuff lately and cheat and look busier with some old sketches.....;)

Black & Red Broadbill (Large).jpgCrested Fireback (Large).jpgSouthern Cassowary (Large).jpgWhite-headed Woodpecker (Large).jpgWhitehead's Trogon (Large).jpg

very damn nice too - keep looking back at the gloss you've got on the pheasant thing - stunning!

That'll do! Hmm, wait, no -- on second though, I think a full back catalogue is in order. Stunning stuff -- and I'm as envious of the birds you have to sketch as I am of your ability to put them down on paper!

That'll do! Hmm, wait, no -- on second though, I think a full back catalogue is in order. Stunning stuff -- and I'm as envious of the birds you have to sketch as I am of your ability to put them down on paper!

They are fantastic on all sorts of levels- I've just spent a very happy couple of minutes just looking at the different eye shapes on the woodpecker.

You would have thought this lot and more bundled up as book of bird sketches from Asia would be a winner, but
I guess it is a harsh world out there when it comes to publishing and selling books of bird paintings.

Fantastic work, obvoiusly the results of very acute observation. If you ever want to throw out some of your 'old stuff' send it my way and I'll 'dispose' of it for you!

Mike

Thanks for the comments all - far too kind!!
Ed - I did ask Nigel at Helm about publishing a book of my sketches from my year out in 06, with several finished pieces, a couple of photos, some witticisms (!) but he said it was hard to push this kind of book. I get back and one of the new books in AC Black's catalogue was a book of sketches of the British countryside and stuff by some woman....Oh well, should jus publish it myself!!

Collared Owlet (Large).jpgDusky Broadbill (Large).jpgOrange Dove (Large).jpgRed-winged Fairywren (Large).jpgSilktail (Large).jpg

Fabulous work Ads - and there's definitely a market for these in some format, of that I'm certain. Just as a word of encouragement - Eric Ennion is just getting 'Bird Man's River' published by that fine bunch at Lavenham. The great doctor died in 1981 and Bird Man's River was written and illustrated in the 1930s. To quote a famous Irish drink's slogan - Good things come to those that wait.
You won't be waiting that long - that's for sure.

Cheers Tim - why is it with art that dead artists seem to make more money...?!?!? I suppose I'd best call Lavenham as a 'good friend' of the late Ads Bowley.....;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back