• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

National Moth Night 23rd September 2006 (1 Viewer)

If the present warm spell continues it ought to be productive. Everyone round me seems to be getting convolvulus hawks (except me!) - I'm probably paying the price for not leaving the trap out all night.
Ken

I had a fairly good night with Feathered Ranunculus added to the garden list at last but none of the targets. A few Convolvulus turned up at Dungeness where a lot of friends trap.

I hear a Crimson Speckled turned up in Hants!!

I had a very good night.
I trapped at my local nature reserve in South West Suffolk - a small wetland with Black & hybrid Poplars, so thought there may be a chance of Pale Lemon Sallow.
Alas I didn't catch any PLS, but did get 51 species which included both the other two target species Dusky Lemon Sallow & Convolvulus Hawk-moth.
Also caught were Vestal, Deep Brown Dart, Beautiful Hook-tip, White Point, Brick & Large Wainscot.

Stuart.

Attachments

• dscn9913 (3).jpg
    dscn9913 (3).jpg
    276 KB · Views: 129
  • dscn9890 (3).jpg
    dscn9890 (3).jpg
    307 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Nerine said:
Thanks for bringing this to our notice, Ken. Nice article. I know what the asst warden means: “It’s like getting a present every day.” not that I have a moth trap but I do have an outside light which has given me quite a few surprises during the summer and autumn.

Nerine
Hi, Nerine,
Perhaps Santa will bring you a moth trap for Christmas! :scribe:
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back