• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some birds in Oran, Algeria (2 Viewers)

spocki

Hello

Any help with ID is really appreciated. Habitat was pine forest scrubland close to the Med.

My own ideas were:
bird 1 - some kind of warbler
lark - crested or Thekla
bird 3 - really no idea (and sorry for bad photo)
bird 4 - blackbird, Great grey shrike, sick-looking blackbird

Cheers

Attachments

• bird 1.JPG
    bird 1.JPG
    872.6 KB · Views: 95
  • bird 4.JPG
    bird 4.JPG
    664.2 KB · Views: 101
  • bird3.JPG
    bird3.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 97
  • lark.JPG
    lark.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 80
In the order of the photos

1. Sardinian Warbler
2. Blackbird and "Southern" Grey Shrike - the right hand Blackbird probably is just moulting.
3. A Wheatear, looks like Northern
4. Crested Lark I reckon, though I'm not very familiar with N.African Thekla's.

Last edited:
wouldn't the shrike be ssp.algeriensis of Great Grey?

I think that's correct but I'm a little bewildered with the large grey shrike taxonomy - I wasn't sure if a ssp. of Great or Southern. From a listers point of view that could mean seeing L.meridionalis (Iberian in the Collin's) in Iberia and L.excubitor in N. Africa (or in the winter on the east coast of Britain ;)) I know its a complex group but is it all cleared up now - from a WP perspective?

I know its a complex group but is it all cleared up now - from a WP perspective?

I don't think it's cleared up, no. As far as I can see, both IOC and Clements still group it under meridionalis, whereas HBW and Howard & Moore now class it as a race of excubitor.

THank you!

Do both shrikes (Great and Southern/ Iberian) overlap? Today my husband saw this one: http://chinese-poems.com/blog/?p=1663

I think Iberian always has a white brow and would be darker/dirtier and/or pinkish underneath than this one, so I'd go for algeriensis again - the range is coastal N Africa, which is where I presume you saw it.

I think my friend Rob Tovey saw some of this form in Mauritania, where it's not supposed to occur - I'll check.

Last edited:
Agree with Andrew that both birds are algeriensis and best treated as a form of Southern Grey Shrike IMO.

Grahame

On a genetic point of view, algeriensis is very far from meridionalis, the later being closer to... North American taxa.

Possibly together with koenigi of the Canaries, certainly elegans and probably some other African and Middle-Eastern taxa, algeriensis will definitely be classified in a species different from both excubitor and meridionalis.

http://birdingfrontiers.com/2014/01/22/desert-and-asian-grey-shrikes/

The North American taxa have already been split to form Northern Shrike (IOC)/Northern Grey Shrike (HBW) L.borealis which includes invictus and borealis from N.America and mollis, funereus, sibiricus and bianchii from Asia.

And of course IOC differs from HBW and Howard & Moore in recognising Great Grey Shrike L.exhubitor which includes exhubitor and homeyeri. HBW treats Southern Grey Shrike L.meridionalis (Iberia) as a monotypic species.

Grahame

Last edited:
On two visits to sw-ish Morocco (Sous valley and the mountains/desert to the E), I remember being surprised (nay amazed) to find ssp algeriensis, despite the name's clear meaning, applying to the birds down towards the coast, while the inland (desert) birds were ssp elegans (not that they aren't elegant of course).

Last edited:
I think Iberian always has a white brow and would be darker/dirtier and/or pinkish underneath than this one, so I'd go for algeriensis again - the range is coastal N Africa, which is where I presume you saw it.

I think my friend Rob Tovey saw some of this form in Mauritania, where it's not supposed to occur - I'll check.

Yes, correct, Oran is a coastal city, and the scrubland were I saw it is on top of a cliff just above the Med.

The North American taxa have already been split to form Northern Shrike (IOC)/Northern Grey Shrike (HBW) L.borealis which includes invictus and borealis from N.America and mollis, funereus, sibiricus and bianchii from Asia.

And of course IOC differs from HBW and Howard & Moore in recognising Great Grey Shrike L.exhubitor which includes exhubitor and homeyeri. HBW treats Southern Grey Shrike L.meridionalis (Iberia) as a monotypic species.

Grahame

I'm aware of that Graham, and IOC is right to consider meridionalis as monotypic species, but they need to split the African and Middle-East taxa now. Soon coming, for sure.

I'm aware of that Graham, and IOC is right to consider meridionalis as monotypic species, but they need to split the African and Middle-East taxa now. Soon coming, for sure.

Careful here. It is not IOC that treats meridionalis as monotypic, far from it (actually ten ssp including the nominate at the moment).

I am sure you are, but the comment was not just for your benefit Alino.

Out of interest this is what the IOC have to say 'Lanius exhubitor complex (inc. taxa at present under meridionalis) requires revision inc. possible split of Asian Grey Shrike Lanius lahtora (inc. aucheri) (Svensson et al 2009, Olsson et al 2010).

So, not the final word.

Grahame

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back