• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Sandpiper? (France) (1 Viewer)

Gduff

Is that an individual with plain, unbarred tertials?

I thought it was diagnostic for Spotted Sandpiper?

Attachments

• IMG_2455.jpg
    IMG_2455.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2459.jpg
    IMG_2459.jpg
    792.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    742.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2461.jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Don't Spotted tend to have lighter bills and legs too?

Spotted legs should be grubby orange through to yellow, and tail looks quite long also. Think the bill could be fairly variable. All suggests Common here to me, but only bird I saw had bright yellow legs, so much easier with that feature on it’s own. Tertials look only point for Spotted for me, although not too clear, and greater coverts look off.

Thank you for your answers. Everything points to a Common, except the plain tertials.

That means that you must have several criterias to properly ID a Spotted Sand, and unlike what's written on some books (Vinicombe's Helm Identification Guide), the 'unbarred tertials' criteria is NOT diagnostic !

Thank you for your answers. Everything points to a Common, except the plain tertials.

That means that you must have several criterias to properly ID a Spotted Sand, and unlike what's written on some books (Vinicombe's Helm Identification Guide), the 'unbarred tertials' criteria is NOT diagnostic !

From what I can see there IS a hint of barring there, but it's not easy to see due to slight softness in the image. Perhaps the tertial edges are partly worn off too, but I'd be wary of saying this feature is unreliable as an ID feature-you just have to look really hard for it on this bird ;)

ID of Spotted can be a bit of a nightmare.

I've recently had a similar problem which started off as a difficulty with the tail projection beyond the primaries. I thought that was a clincher until I started reading up and looking at pictures on a well known bird reporting site. It seems that Spotted can have quite a long tail extension (according to the Advanced ID Guide up to half the length of the bill, whereas Common should be longer than that). There are pics showing Spotted (luckily in breeding plumage) with seemingly quite long extensions - and Commons with seemingly quite short.

Other supposed ID features also seem to show quite a lot of overlap.

At the end of the day if you can get close enough and get good enough pictures then all should be well.

ID of Spotted can be a bit of a nightmare.

I've recently had a similar problem which started off as a difficulty with the tail projection beyond the primaries. I thought that was a clincher until I started reading up and looking at pictures on a well known bird reporting site. It seems that Spotted can have quite a long tail extension (according to the Advanced ID Guide up to half the length of the bill, whereas Common should be longer than that). There are pics showing Spotted (luckily in breeding plumage) with seemingly quite long extensions - and Commons with seemingly quite short.

Other supposed ID features also seem to show quite a lot of overlap.

At the end of the day if you can get close enough and get good enough pictures then all should be well.

Make sure you find an adult in summer, job done

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back