• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

I went on holiday to Norfolk thinking that the Cranes were a winter thing. I went along to Hickling Broad as two had been reported from the visitor centre. The lady in the visitor centre told me that the Cranes do indeed come into Stubb Mill in August. I went along and at about 8.45pm two Cranes came in followed by another party of around 10. Then a Barn Owl appeared and started hunting.

As for Swallowtails, apparently the second clutch has been poor with only a handfull of sightings. I didn't manage to see them despite going on a walk at Strumpshaw and checking Hickling everyday. Maybe next year

northerly wind was really getting up this evening so i put on the waterproofs and spent an hour seawatching 7:00 - 8:00 until the mist and rain closed in

4 Arctic Skuas
4 Common Scoters
13 Teal
7 Grey Plover
3 Knot
11 Oystercatcher
1 Dunlin
1 Golden Plover

several parties of terns bombing through, mostly Commons and Sandwich and several Gannets. And an unidentified skua.

Long-tailed past Sheringham and a Pom too this afternoon

could be good tomorrow morning - might chance the Sheringham shelters

Last edited:
Had a look around Stiffkey Fen and the flood yesterday and there were a good numbers of waders. On the Fen, avocet 11, ruff 25, greenshank 11, green sand 1, pintail 1 drake. On the flood, little egret 11, ruff 5, green sand 9, greenshank 1, wood sand 1.

Seawatching off Titchwell produced 14 manx shearwaters and another single so far this morning.

Paul

Seawatching from Waxham this morning 06:30 - 08:30

6 Sooty Shearwaters
3 Manx Shearwaters
3 Black Terns
2 Great Skuas
9 Arctic Skuas
101 Teal
1 Common Eider
30 Common Scoter
8 Shelduck
11 Grey Plover
1 Curlew
1 Whimbrel
3 Knot
3 Dunlin
2 Wigeon
12 Oystercatchers
1 Fulmar
c.25 Kittiwakes

and Gannets in good numbers, Common and Sandwich Terns

Last edited:
Storm petrel west past Titchwell, 150yds offshore at 12:35. The bird was battling against the strong wind and was last seen at 12:50 just east of Thornham Point still heading west.

Paul

Thanks Tim, only the 4th Titchwell record. Not much else of note through today but now 2 wood sands on the fresh marsh this afternoon.

Paul

Great Snipe, Greenish Warbler and Barred Warbler on Blakeney Point today.

Pomarine skua at Holme NOA

Pied flycatcher at Titchwell (as Paul Eele said earlier)

White rumped sandpiper at Breydon Water

Wood Sandpiper and Marbled Duck at Cantley Beet Factory

Pied fly at Sea Palling

Sooty Shearwater at Eccles on Sea and Waxham

Highlights from an hours watching at Happisburgh from 06:40 were single Sooty Shearwater and 3 Manx Shearwater, a Fulmar, 2 Arctic Skuas, a 1st W Little Gull along the shoreline, 8 Kittiwakes, 2 Wigeon, 70 Teal, 3 Shelduck, 8 Scoter, 14 Knot, 5 Grey Plover and 7 Dunlin. All westward. Several Gannets up and down too.

James

Last edited:
Pretty good seawatching yesterday, pretty poor this morning.

Arctics passing yesterday morning at about 7-8 per hour.
Single Sooty and similar stuff to James above, plus Whimbrel and a few Curlews.

2 Wheatears at Sea Palling y'day and 4 at Waxham plus Garden Warbler

Very little this morning... 30 Knots, 15 Grey Plover, 2 Whimbrel of note and a single Spotted Flycatcher in the village

It'll be interesting to see what crawls out of the woodwork, so to speak, when the sun peeps through later on Friday and through the weekend. There's gotta be a lot more rares out there. As the wind dropped this afternoon I took Ozzy for his walk and turned up a few Chiffs, Willow and Garden Warbler but nothing vaguely exciting. Yet.....

James

Lots of goodies dropping in Norfolk today for those of you coming to Norfolk at the weekend:

Long tailed skua at Blakeney Point

Red backed shrikes at Holme NWT, Cley NWT, Sea Palling & Trimmingham.

European Storm Petrol Cley Marshes NWT

Wryneck at Holkham Pines & Sheringham

Pied Flycatchers at Holme NOA, Walsey NOA, Stiffkey

Spotted Flycatchers at Holme NOA, Walsey

Greenish Warblers Blakeney Point and at Holkham Pines and at Weybourne

Red Necked Phalarope at Cantley Beet Factory

I can't wait to get out at the weekend:t:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see what crawls out of the woodwork, so to speak, when the sun peeps through later on Friday and through the weekend. There's gotta be a lot more rares out there. As the wind dropped this afternoon I took Ozzy for his walk and turned up a few Chiffs, Willow and Garden Warbler but nothing vaguely exciting. Yet.....

James

Yes, it looks like an exciting weekend ahead, hopefully James:t:

James

too right James

I was in Derbyshire for most of day but managed 30 mins at dusk and had another Pied Fly in the village and two Wheatears. Plus there was an RBS in the afternoon...

will be up at dawn...

Tim

Lots of goodies dropping in Norfolk today for those of you coming to Norfolk at the weekend:

Red backed shrikes at Holme NWT, Cley NWT, Sea Palling & Trimmingham.

European Storm Petrol Cley Marshes NWT

Wryneck at Holkham Pines & Sheringham

Arrrrgh!

I'm coming over all twitchy ..and I can't get out to play til next tuesday!! ..somebody pleeez tether me the Cley/Sheringham stuff til next week.

Matt

A bit of effort and hard slog paid of this morning with a Barred Warbler at Waxham.
in scrub and bushes 50-100 yards north of the end of Waxham track

Also
2 Whinchat
2 Lesser Whitethroat
Garden Warbler
several Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs
Reed Warbler

Hooching (the technical term!) with birds here this morning. Load of willows, chiffs, blackcaps and a couple of redstarts. Greenish found at Thornham Point also whinchat and loads of warblers.

Hopefully the weather won't improve too much!

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back