• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 10x42 Vs Zeiss Fl 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Chabi

Hello friends:

I´m going to buy a new pair of binoculars the next month but I have doubts between Swarovski EL 10x42 and Zeiss Fl 10x42, What of the two advise me??

Thank You
Regards from Zaragoza (Spain) and sorry for my bad english¡¡

Chabi said:
Hello friends:

I´m going to buy a new pair of binoculars the next month but I have doubts between Swarovski EL 10x42 and Zeiss Fl 10x42, What of the two advise me??

Thank You

I very recently bought a pair of Leica 10X42's. I did consider the Zeiss 10's, but could find no difference other than the Zeiss had closer focusing. I did however prefer the build quality of the Leica's (added to the fact that I own a pair of 8X32's and a Leica scope). I didn't consider the Swarovski's I have several birding friends have these and have all suffered bits dropping off and dodgey focussing wheels. If I were to choose between the Zeiss and the Swaro's it would definately be the former.

Mark

Chabi said:
Hello friends:

Thank You

You will find lots of comments on this issue if you do a search in BF, or look at binocular threads from the past 6 months. I much prefer the Zeiss 8x42 FL over the Swarvoski 8.5x42, due to the higher contrast and reduced CA, but you really should try for yourself as you might come to the opposite conclusion. They are both excellent optics.

Leif

I have bought a pair of the Zeiss 8x42 FL's and couldn't be happier. Very good for close focusing - I also like the focus wheel, very smooth - they are also extremely bright, which I need as I live in woodland, and they are comfortable to hold.

As Leif says, you really should try both binoculars for yourself, and buy whichever you feel happiest with. Each to their own...

Regards

PS - You're English is just fine!

After recently having compared these in the 8x (and 8.5x) versions, I would choose the Zeiss FLs over the Swarovski.

But before I bought the Zeiss FLs, I'd carefully compare them to the Nikon LXL 10x42s. The LXLs can be had for a few hundred dollars less, and they are outstanding.

Doug

In January I had same question and compared Zeiss 10x42FL (bought this), and revelant Leica and Swarovski side by side.

Zeiss has the best image, Leica is marginally worse and Swarovski much worse.

Definitely Zeiss not Swar. If anything, I would consider switching to Leica. I spend a month birding side by side with friend owning Leica. Leica's bigger field of view and brighter image (evening mammals!) was very attractive. Minus was bigger sun-glare in Leica (suppose a problem in Spain).

I wear eye glasses when observing with binoculars. I have both the Zeiss 10x42 FL and Swarovski 10x42 EL. The Zeiss has better eye relief. I find the Swarovski 10x42 EL so short in eye relief that in bright light I am very aware of how much of the field of view I'm missing.

I very much enjoy using the Zeiss 10x42 FL. I love my Swarovski 8.5x42 EL but not my 10x42 EL.

Rich

Hi:

This morning I test the Zeiss FL 8x and the Swarovski EL 8,5x . In my opinion the two are greats binoculars but I think that the zeiss could have a better image....However my father thinks that the EL vision is better than FL

Regards

IMO the els or slc has a flater field than the zeiss and are as good or better in resolution.I think its beats the leicas in both these areas by a solid amount.The zeiss have less ca, higher contrast, and are brighter than the els. But for that kind of money their warranty doesn't compare to swaros. Swaro covers impact damage, zeiss does not, you pay for it. I know, I've done it. Leica also has a good warranty but you may wait 6 months and its for the original owner only.

Chabi said:
Hello friends:

I recently bought the 8x42 fl after compareing them to the sworo 8.5x42 el.In the store I could read finer print whith the fl and they were noticeble brighter.I whent outside on a bright day and was looking into the shadows of the woods from a field area.I kept going back and forth with the el and fl thinking that I wasn't looking at the same spot.Then I realised that I was.Whith the fl it looked like their was a light on in the woods compared to the el.I think I used the word WOW.

Swarovski Warranty??

JCJ said:
IMO the els or slc has a flater field than the zeiss and are as good or better in resolution.I think its beats the leicas in both these areas by a solid amount.The zeiss have less ca, higher contrast, and are brighter than the els. But for that kind of money their warranty doesn't compare to swaros. Swaro covers impact damage, zeiss does not, you pay for it. I know, I've done it. Leica also has a good warranty but you may wait 6 months and its for the original owner only.

Are you sure about Swasrovski's warranty? Per their warranty page, they say they provide a 30-year warranty for defects in materials and workmanship. Furthermore, it appears that just for the first 5 years do they pay the labor costs to repair defects. I am attaching web addresses

Warranty page: http://www.swarovskioptik.at/pdf/EL_e.pdf

Home page: http://www.swarovskioptik.at/english/home/

There is no mention of a 'no fault' or 'impact warranty.' If it is not in the warranty, just because they repaired some persons binos it does not mean they will others.

Good birding

Lew

Lewie said:
Are you sure about Swasrovski's warranty? Per their warranty page, they say they provide a 30-year warranty for defects in materials and workmanship. Furthermore, it appears that just for the first 5 years do they pay the labor costs to repair defects. I am attaching web addresses

Warranty page: http://www.swarovskioptik.at/pdf/EL_e.pdf

Home page: http://www.swarovskioptik.at/english/home/

There is no mention of a 'no fault' or 'impact warranty.' If it is not in the warranty, just because they repaired some persons binos it does not mean they will others.

Good birding

Lew

In my experence they have been great to work with. A friend took my els, which I bought used, to Africa. They came back with all lenses scratched and mared,the rubber armor looked 100 years old but they still functioned fine. I sent them back not expecting much. 5 days later they sent me a new in box el.Droped a 10x50 slc off a ridge in New Mexico, shattered right side and bent left . Agiain was sent a nib 10x50. Even though they don,t state this kind of warrenty, its there. Thats why so many hunters choose them over the other 2.They will even send you a loaner as yours is being repaired or replaced if you happen to need a pair at that piticular time. Thats why there used binos sell so well. Find a used pair and send them in if needed,you won't be dissapointed.

Lewie said:
JCJ:

They will even repair ones that you buy used? Interesting, and good to know. Thanks for the info.

Lew

Yes indeed, as long as they were bought from an authorized daeler to begin with from the orgional owner. So find a good, or not, used (cheak seriel numbers make sure its not gray) and your good to go. I usually look for the cheapest pair I can find and if need be just send them back in.

Today I received my new zeiss................They are GREAT. I have used a 8x56 and the Zeiss have better BRIGHTNESS with 42mm ¡¡. Very sharp and ergonomic.

hunttr said:
Chabi said:
Hello friends:

I recently bought the 8x42 fl after compareing them to the sworo 8.5x42 el.In the store I could read finer print whith the fl and they were noticeble brighter.I whent outside on a bright day and was looking into the shadows of the woods from a field area.I kept going back and forth with the el and fl thinking that I wasn't looking at the same spot.Then I realised that I was.Whith the fl it looked like their was a light on in the woods compared to the el.I think I used the word WOW.

I compared these two binoculars also. I agree with what you said but I found the Swarovski EL's to have a better image off-axis or as you get nearer the edge it is sharper and I also found their depth of field to be superior to the Zeiss FL. Depth of field is very important to me because it makes for comfortable viewing without having to refocus all the time. For example, when you are looking at two birds and one is on a different branch slightly back from the first bird.
I guess it comes down to what kind of image you prefer. I don't think you can say one is superior to the other one. If you like brightness go with the Zeiss and if you like depth of field and a bigger sweet spot go with the Swarovski EL's. In high end binoculars it all comes down to personal preference.

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back