• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Coolpix P310 for Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Neil, thanks for your efforts here, and in a previous post. I find it much more understandable when one of the variables ie. the scope is kept constant and we can make good comparisons of the cameras. All too often, the scope changes as many times as the cameras on trial.

Of all the cameras there is still not one that has all the functions of a great digiscoping camera. The closest is probably still the Nikon Coolpix 8400 , although the WB can be off a bit and it doesn't have HD video.
The Nikon V1 and Panasonic GF1 could do with a Rotatable Screen, the Canon A640 had a low rez screen and the Sony NEX 7 has a complicated menu system and is a bit noisy.
But I still have fun playing with them all.
Neil.

Great shots Neil, hope i will also get such good photos with the ATX85mm

P.S. The Flamingo pictures you have taken with NEX7 are quite impressive, saw them in the digiscoping newsgroup, what a stunning result!

I'm sure the 85 mm scope with also give you excellent results from what I've seen so far and you have any advantage that it starts a little wider.
Neil.

Hey guys, i went to the netherlands the last four days and had a really great trip.
Here are some shots i took during this birding trip

Attachments

• DSCN0837.JPG
    DSCN0837.JPG
    448.4 KB · Views: 362
  • DSCN0846.jpg
    DSCN0846.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 462
  • DSCN0942.JPG
    DSCN0942.JPG
    450.7 KB · Views: 308
  • DSCN0997.jpg
    DSCN0997.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 377
  • DSCN1039.JPG
    DSCN1039.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
I am not sure if its okay to upload more than 5 Pictures, if not i will delete the second post.

Attachments

• DSCN1035.JPG
    DSCN1035.JPG
    370.8 KB · Views: 371
  • DSCN1045.jpg
    DSCN1045.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 339
  • DSCN1117.JPG
    DSCN1117.JPG
    453.3 KB · Views: 365
  • DSCN1139.jpg
    DSCN1139.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 363
  • DSCN1153.JPG
    DSCN1153.JPG
    320.5 KB · Views: 368
I am not sure if its okay to upload more than 5 Pictures, if not i will delete the second post.

Some nice images here.
I think 5 is the limit per post but multiple posts is ok. You should post some of these in the Gallery though so more people with see them.
Neil.

Hi

Out of interest how do you keep the camera still while taking pics?
I am finding I am getting camera shake from pressing the button.
Any Tips??
Glenn

Hi

Out of interest how do you keep the camera still while taking pics?
I am finding I am getting camera shake from pressing the button.
Any Tips??
Glenn

Glenn,
I use burst mode, which I think is about 7fps, and look at the middle frames. It also helps a lot if the scope is balanced. Loosen the head and see if it flops. With the Manfrotto 501 head I'll lock it down sometimes when I've found a subject as I want to be ready to start shooting video. This also helps a lot.
Neil.

I will use this thread for posting some photos, think its better to use one Thread for expamples (It will be easier to find for people searching for digiscoping examples of the P310)

I agree. It's easier also if people post questions in the one thread.
Neil.

Thanks Neil.
I will give the burst mode a try.
I think I need a new tripod - I only have a very cheap one at the moment and as a result when I "lock" the scope when I let go the scope "settles" meaning I have to lock on a bit above the bird and hope it settles in the right place!
I will post in the tripod section for advice but if you have any that would be great.
Also out of interest how do you attach your nikon P310 to your scope?

Thanks
Glenn

Thanks Neil.
I will give the burst mode a try.
I think I need a new tripod - I only have a very cheap one at the moment and as a result when I "lock" the scope when I let go the scope "settles" meaning I have to lock on a bit above the bird and hope it settles in the right place!
I will post in the tripod section for advice but if you have any that would be great.
Also out of interest how do you attach your nikon P310 to your scope?

Thanks
Glenn

Glenn,
I use the DCB 11 adapter for the P310 . I use Manfrotto video heads on various tripods . The 702 and 501 heads. The 702 is a bit light for the Swarovski STX 95 but I'm using it anyway at the moment as I have a bad back and don't want to carry a heavy tripod and head.
Neil.

Based on that video I prefer the look of Nikon over the Sony which was a shock to me. I Thought I was going to like the RX100's footage better. The P310's video quality looks really good. Thanks for putting it together Neil.

Based on that video I prefer the look of Nikon over the Sony which was a shock to me. I Thought I was going to like the RX100's footage better. The P310's video quality looks really good. Thanks for putting it together Neil.

Another advantage of the P310 is it's Macro range is longer than usual and much longer than the P300 - out to 55 mms , which is about half zoom. This means that I can shoot in this mode with no vignetting which is where I like to be.
It also does a good job of AF even if the scope focus is a bit off. It will hunt over a wider range than the RX100.
I like the RX100 for it's 1080/60p which I shoot in all the time with this camera as I like to slow down the fast action by 50 % which gives a very smooth look at 30p. I live in hope that I'll catch a peregrine going through the flocks and will be able to slow it down so I could see it hunt.
The RX100 will give sharper images at longer distances than the P310 (it doens't have Nikon's ED glass in the lens ) but needs more care to get them and of course costs a lot more.
We are lucky to have so many choices of cameras that will work.
Neil.

Shot this one today in austria. Light conditions were not this good but it tryed it and this is the result

Attachments

• DSCN1415.JPG
    DSCN1415.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 435
The cat's eye bokeh distracts from the subject. You should blend them into the background with software. But thanks for posting this as it has me thinking of an experiment on fieldscope exit pupil illumination.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back