• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

Just asked Sophie B. H.B.O. AW and she said no one has reported it today.:-C

Doesn't mean to say its not there though, especially if not many people have been looking!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Appreciate that Penny, I will keep my ears to the ground tomorrow. I drove 3.5 hours on Wednesday but could not find it in the 1.5 hours I had until Holme closed, but it was wiindy. Thats 7 hours driving in total ! I love my warblers tho but will not set off tomorrow unless I see it reported on Birdguides.

Your excellent photos of this bird made me drool Penny!

As with most phyllosc's, its just doing a circuit and consistently returns to the same area of pines on the north side of the track along the seaward side of the reserve. We saw it well there Monday, and it was showing well in the same place this afternoon too once the rain had stopped.

Simon

You obviously failed to mimic tractor boys fieldcraft skills, as did I ;)
We saw it briefly wednesday but it was difficult in 30+ mile an hour westerly winds !! It was pretty, calm, cool and clear last night so there is a good chance its gone I'm afraid, hopefully I'm wrong though.

Cheers lads - i too think it has gone.

Never mind - one day another twitchable one will come long, probably in the Shetlands !

Lovely reserve is Holme - in all my years of birding that is the first time i have been there.

Can anyone tell me where the whirlygig is at warham green? I know where that iron gibet thingy is but dont know which way to walk for the whirlygig (also what is a whirlygig?)
Cheers

Two Barred Warblers and Pinkfeet arrival!

Arrived Holme Reserves at 9.15am.

Beautiful, sunny day but quite cold due to the NW winds. Had a good look round the back of the pines to have a final look for the Arctic Warbler, but no sign at all - Connor was also looking. A couple of goldcrests appeared, wren, usual tit flock, but not alot else. Walked round to observatory and had just sat myself down on the seat in the sunshine when Jed called out 'Barred Warbler' just in front of the Dell hide (just in front of 'Fred's Pool' as my father and I always called it affectionately, as Fred Britton built it). The Barred Warbler gave brief views through the gaps of the wood panels to right of the hide, but you can't photograph through these, so I dived into the hide to get the hot seat and I sat there from 11.00am when I first saw the Barred Warbler until 1.35pm - this paid off as I got some decent shots at 11.49am although all shots had annoying pieces of grasses/reed in front of the bird! Lots of Coal Tits and Goldfinches on the Feeders, several chaffinches, hedge sparrows, a moorhen and a pheasant added to the scene. My first skein of Pinkfeet arrived in blue skies flying east at 12.35pm as I sat in the hide. The warbler seemed to disappear, so I gave up waiting for better shots and walked round to the observatory where a lady called Jo alerted me to 7 Common Buzzards circling round in the blue skies at 1.40pm. Photographed a beautiful Migrant Hawker by the Obs. pond.

Walked back to NOA carpark via The Firs to say hello to Pat and buy a bar of NWT chocolate! Bumped into Dave Holman who had come to look for the Barred Warbler.

Redwell Marsh Hide - nothing at all of note apart from a few Teal and a Hare - in fact I have never seen so little here!

Visited to my parents and was kindly given apples and tomatoes from the garden. No phone signal here at all, so didn't realise until I got a few miles along the coast road that there was a Barred Warbler at Warham. Trundled along (well kind of!) the A149 and parked at Stiffkey Campsite carpark and recognised several familiar cars here! On route to Stiffkey I observed several skeins of Pink footed geese. Made my way west along the path to approx. 100 yards past the whirlygig to find a handful of birders including Eddie M. and Carl C. watching a VERY elusive Barred Warbler - the light was shockingly bad now BUT I very luckily got some record shots! Every so often it would pop out to eat some elderberries and then dive back in to the thickest part of the bush! Saw it intially at around 5.15pm and then very good views at around 5.50pm.

Cley Coastguards with other regulars for a last minute seawatch just in case a Fea's Petrol flew past!!!! (Ha ha!) Nothing was seen apart from a few terns going west. Enjoyed the last of my chocolate and a sandwich.

Arrived home 8.45pm.

Pictures of Barred Warblers etc on blog.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_7789-web.jpg
    IMG_7789-web.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
It's NOT a gibbet !

Please see my post #7092, for an explanation:
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1584842&postcount=7092

After years of unrelenting effort, I seem to have 'educated' at least one of the bird information service providers.

On my way back from an unsuccessful search for the Purple Sandpiper on the seafront at Sheringham (people cavorting on its rocks), I took this self-portrait. It's one of the interesting murals, with local themes. I’m sure it couldn’t have been painted without a degree of tongue in the artist’s cheek: his name is Colin Seal.

Attachments

• 001psesm.jpg
    001psesm.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 104
Croc in Blakeney ? !

Yes, I spotted this, on the small pond just north of the kissing gate at the west entrance to Friary Hills NT.

I can’t recall having seen one there previously, so close to people and their illegally-marauding canines. Perhaps a certain ‘resident of Blakeney’ could inform us otherwise (?).

Attachments

• 025sm.jpg
    025sm.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 305
Pec Sand at Cley 1420hrs. Nice to get informed after 9pm. Good work fellas.

On behalf of everyone at Cley (I know, I shouldn't really), my sincerest apologies. To think people were too busy birding yesterday, in conditions ripe for an arrival of a few Pec Sand. Whatever next. I suppose I am guilty here too, I was too busy down the patch, looking for one.
Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited:
Not a Barred tick for Gramboro’

Although not the only Dakota I’ve seen over The Hill, it’s definitely the first one with WW2 markings- USAF.

At last ! The Stiffkey Barred Warbler gave itself up- and was even on view as I arrived. This makes a change from the previous sightings this year, mainly of tails flying away. It also seemed reasonably unconcerned about some quite loud chit-chat; not a new race of Saxicola !

Otherwise, Red Admirals continued to spring up from most sheltered tracks that I drove down.

Attachments

• 068sm.jpg
    068sm.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 045psesm.jpg
    045psesm.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 153
4 Lapland Buntings, 120+ Black-tailed Godwits and 60 Golden Plover in fields SW of Wells caravan park this afternoon - the Laps flew NE. Also several hundred Pinkfeet and many small groups dropping in all the time...

Last edited:
Jimbob. I was indeed at cley yesterday (as per normal at the weekend), at the time the pec was claimed. There was several birders about and i cant believe if anyone saw the bird they would not pass on info to other birders there at the time. I know for sure if any of the Cley birders had seen it, the message would've got out much sooner.

Yes, I spotted this, on the small pond just north of the kissing gate at the west entrance to Friary Hills NT.

I can’t recall having seen one there previously, so close to people and their illegally-marauding canines. Perhaps a certain ‘resident of Blakeney’ could inform us otherwise (?).

i think its a Cormorant, John

Titchwell September 20th

Today's highlights

Pectoral sandpiper - 1 briefly on fresh marsh med afternoon before flying east
Little stint - 4 on fresh marsh
Lapland bunting - 8 on fresh marsh but very elusive
Hen harrier - probable ringtail hunting over saltmarsh at Thornham Point late morning only

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back