• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (17 Viewers)

Richard's Pipit at Kelling looked settled in for the winter.
It is mobile but with patience can give good views. I saw it today about 4 times in flight (calling regularly) and on the deck along the grass path leading up the hill to the edge of Muckelburgh tank area.
Plenty of Red T Divers on sea and a very Common Guillemot.
Can someone please find a nice Brunnich's in Norfolk. Portland is outside of my twitching radius nowadays
:)

Nice day at Titchwell RSPB yesterday with a good selection of birds. Shocking how much the dunes have disappeared!!!

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Has anyone come across any Redpoles or Siskins outside the Brecks this winter .

Hi Pete,
Whilst I do pick up both Redpoll and Siskin on regular visits to Surlingham church marsh and Wheatfen, neither species are numerous this winter and good views of Siskin in particular hard to achieve! Wheatfen was excellent for both last winter, anywhere around Surlingham wood or groups of Alders out on the fen held good numbers.
Not sure about Strumpshaw, but I recall a recent RSPB blog post in which a single Mealy was reported with Lessers.

I would pose a similar question with regard to Brambling. Just 2 for me this winter,.both at Wheatfen. How are others getting on with these?

Cheers,
Jim.

Sculthorpe Moor Reserve

Visited today for the first time. What an enjoyable reserve with well maintained boardwalks. Plenty to see with highlights being Brambling, Siskin, and the Marsh Tits. All the expected woodland birds seen. Certainly will be visiting again.

Hi Pete,

Not sure about Strumpshaw, but I recall a recent RSPB blog post in which a single Mealy was reported with Lessers.

I would pose a similar question with regard to Brambling. Just 2 for me this winter,.both at Wheatfen. How are others getting on with these?

Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim/Pete

At least 1 (probably 2) Mealy Redpolls have been at Strumpshaw this winter, first seen on 10th November, I saw another 'good' one in early December with the Goldfinch flock (60+) and 5-8 lesser redpolls. To be honest I think they probably are both still kicking about but I have not had decent enough views in the past couple of weeks to confirm. Lesser Redpolls (5-15) are guaranteed at Strumpshaw between the reception and Fen Hide (seen/heard every time I have walked passed in the last 2 months)

As far as Bramblings go I agree that away from the Brecks their numbers appear to be down on last year. Again Strumpshaw has a regular 1-2 at the feeders at the moment and earlier in the autumn quite a few overhead but less than last year. My garden held good numbers of brambling last year and have yet to see one in the garden this winter.

My Patchwork Challenge total for this year has finished on 160 species in the North Mid Yare Valley- (Strumpshaw, Buckenham and Cantley). Not bad at all for an inland site, especially considering I had no BB rares at all :( (missed a couple though!)
This figure beats my previous best year by a clear 11 species, its been great having this challenge and has got me out and about more than usual as well as added some unexpected species to my Mid Yare list, I highly recommend patchers to join in with a bit of healthy competition and banter, its not too late to join 2014.

Happy New year everyone!

Last edited:
What an excellent and informative run of posts on this thread to bring 2013 to a close. Made great reading :t: Hope 2014 starts off in such a manner, what with everyone gearing up for tomorrow and the year ahead. Certainly, I'm one of them.

I wish all the wardens / staff / volunteers of our lovely nature reserves in North Norfolk all the best for next year, because of all people, they have some big jobs and decisions to undertake regarding our decimated coastline - a coastline which was only there in the first place because of their tireless dedication to protecting what little precious habitat we have left. Many thanks for what you have done and for what you will do.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone and roll on 2014!!

What an excellent and informative run of posts on this thread to bring 2013 to a close. Made great reading :t: Hope 2014 starts off in such a manner, what with everyone gearing up for tomorrow and the year ahead. Certainly, I'm one of them.

I wish all the wardens / staff / volunteers of our lovely nature reserves in North Norfolk all the best for next year, because of all people, they have some big jobs and decisions to undertake regarding our decimated coastline - a coastline which was only there in the first place because of their tireless dedication to protecting what little precious habitat we have left. Many thanks for what you have done and for what you will do.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone and roll on 2014!!
Lovely postB :):t::t:

Happy New Year to all in Norfolk

Here is a bit of a sado's statistic

In the whole of 2013 Norfolk had 819,510 hits on Bird Forum
we at Upton WARREN IN WORCESTERSHIRE had 818,781 hits, not bad coming second to the best birding county in the UKB :) John Belsey warden at Upton warren.

Just returned from a weekend in Norfolk. We were staying at Salthouse. it was sad to see how much the sea has ravaged the coast. Had another Brilliant weekend. Happy New Year to all the Norfolk birders. We meet so many lovely people there and love visiting to see the birds. Good birding to all in 2014.

Thanks Penny

Unless any new year revellers hallucinated churring Nightjars over Norwich city centre or calling Cuckoos in their kitchens, I hereby claim the first Norfolk bird record of the year.

Species - Robin
Time - 0548
Location - singing in my garden

Hope everyone gets some good birding in before the rain hits.

Steve

Thanks Penny

Unless any new year revellers hallucinated churring Nightjars over Norwich city centre or calling Cuckoos in their kitchens, I hereby claim the first Norfolk bird record of the year.

Species - Robin
Time - 0548
Location - singing in my garden

Hope everyone gets some good birding in before the rain hits.

Steve

me bruvver, i'm on tempterhooks, what d'you bring home today :cat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvwZR4S513k

An incredible 24 Moorhen recorded on the patch this morning, with a group of 17 feeding close together on Kelling Water Meadow. The rest were north of the duck ponds at Salthouse. Smashing my site record.

Highlights of a hurried morning -trying to beat the rain- were a Slavonian Grebe mid-way of Weybourne Beach carpark and a single Harbour Porpoise moving east.

Unfortunately, no Richard's Pipit.

Hope everyone had an enjoyable start to the year and those who partake, are not feeling the effect too much.

Kieran

I raced round all day and in the rain! 89 species seen in Norfolk, sadly didn't beat last year's 101, but I didn't expect to, in the dire conditions today! The wind and rain at Titchwell was wicked!

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Hey sorry about the self-promotion - its going to stop soon, someone is really going to put a sock in it very soon - but I have a new arrival - I think I'm going to call him Twist!

Congratulations Joshua!

Your website, feishokman.weebly.com, was born at 1:15am UTC on Thursday, January 2, 2014.

It weighs a healthy 4 pages and 6 elements.

You must be very proud! We're happy and excited for you.

Be sure to spread the word and tell your customers, family and friends!
Sincerely, The Weebly Team

PS this thread is dying a death right, ''the last man on earth was sitting in a room, there was a knock on the door...''

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back