• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Water fowl ID help please, Wales, Llaneli Wetlands (1 Viewer)

Shirl

Hi everyone,

took some photos on a holiday visit last July but didn't make a note of ID's at the time. Looking at blogging with them now. Can anyone help me out with ID's please? I've spent some time looking through my books but water birds I am not familiar with.

I'm guessing No.1 is a Ruddy Shelduck - is that it molting or is it sick? I'm guessing No.2 is some sort of Goldeneye perhaps? The others I've no idea.

Attachments

• SGW10 JUL  (1).jpg
    SGW10 JUL (1).jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 137
  • SGW10 JUL  (2).jpg
    SGW10 JUL (2).jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 146
  • SGW10 JUL  (3a).jpg
    SGW10 JUL (3a).jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 125
  • SGW10 JUL  (4).jpg
    SGW10 JUL (4).jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 125
  • SGW10 JUL  (5).jpg
    SGW10 JUL (5).jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 130
Hiya, 1 is Ruddy Shelduck (maybe Cape, not sure)
2 is Barrows Goldeneye
3 is Bar-headed Goose
4 is Red-crested Pochard
5 is Philippine Duck

Jan

Edit. Just googled Cape Shelduck, and was right the first time, it is a Ruddy

Last edited:
Thanks Jan :t:

I wondered about Barrows for No.2. Thanks for checking further on the Shelduck. I do appreciate it. Thanks for the others too. it's a great help. I never quite know where to start with water birds and geese.

I googled too after you gave me the names and found a sweet pic of the Bar-headed Goose with chick. If you're interested, I followed that to an article on how this bird manages to fly so high see http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/features/green/2009/08/scients_discover_how_geese_can.html

Thanks again, Shirl :t:

Thanks Jan :t:

I wondered about Barrows for No.2. Thanks for checking further on the Shelduck. I do appreciate it. Thanks for the others too. it's a great help. I never quite know where to start with water birds and geese.

I googled too after you gave me the names and found a sweet pic of the Bar-headed Goose with chick. If you're interested, I followed that to an article on how this bird manages to fly so high see http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/features/green/2009/08/scients_discover_how_geese_can.html

Thanks again, Shirl :t:

My pleasure, just wanted to check on the shelduck as they are notorious for hybridising, but I'm pretty sure it looks good for pure, if rather scruffy, Ruddy to me.

It's interesting about the Bar-headed Geese, and thanks for the link. I knew they had been recorded migrating at incredible heights over the Himalayas, but hadn't read anything on the science of it until now. I've always found it interesting when I've been mountain climbing how loud the flapping of birds like Ravens, and even Herring Gulls can be over mountain tops. Also Peregrines can sound almost like jet aircraft when they stoop through the thin air.

All the best :t:

Jan

If it helps when you next visit the collection at Llaneli, or any other wildfowl collection, I just found this link may help for many species: http://www.psiloswildlifephotography.co.uk/headers/psiloswildfowlgallery.htm where there are sections with photos of many of the World's ducks, and also a link to geese and swans. The ones there aren't photos of you can google. There are a lot of species you'd not find in any European fieldguide!

Jan

Thanks again Jan :t:

That link to bird photos is great. Realistically, I may never visit Llanelli again as I live North of Edinburgh. I'll keep a note of the link though as there may be other places we might visit where it would help.

Ah... I can imagine what it must be like hearing birds fly over as you climb. When out in my garden I can here Pink footed Geese flapping overhead. However, the loudest flapping has to be from a Heron which just clears my house en route to a garden pond probably. When I finally complete mine it may just land here although I don't plan in adding fish in it.

Just posted my blog which includes a thanks to yourself plus link to the Birdforum. I also found a couple of interereting videos too. You can see it here http://blog.shirlsgardenwatch.co.uk/2011/02/everest-via-wales.html if you are interested :)

Cheers,
Shirl :t:

Hey Shirl, thanks for the mention on your blog and for the link :) Nice part of the World you're from. I stayed in Pitlochry a number of years back when I was getting into birding and had had some decent birding :) (Sand martin colony, nearby Ospreys, good views of Dipper etc on the river)

I'll keep tabs on your blog :) Great garden you have there :t:

Cheers

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back