• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Bahrain photos (1 Viewer)

Beverlybaynes

Mod Squad
I'm participating in a friendly competition here at home -- with the prize being having your dinner bought at a Christmas get-together tomorrow (12/8) night.

With the clues I've been given, I've narrowed down the bird to Bahrain.

I'll be going to the local library to look for the Bahrain field guide (it's a terrific library and may well have it), but in the meantime, is there a site anywhere that might include photos?

I do know that the bird MIGHT be a babbler of some kind -- and I know there's some taxonomic quibbles about what are babblers and what aren't.

I do have a photo of the 'mystery bird' but haven't been able to reduce the jpg in size so I could attach it here (besides, that would be cheating, wouldn't it?). But I can tell you that it perches in thorn trees/bushes, is a dull buffy cream color, has darker facial markings running through the eye to the back of the head, dark tip to the tail and perhaps white feathers on the leading edge of the wing.

The photo gives no context for size -- I'm guessing this bird might range from 9 to 12 inches in length.

The bill is raptor-like, without the 'hook' -- or I might be thinking a shrike of some sort . . .

Any ideas? Any websites out there?

Thanks, friends!

(o)<

With thanks to IAIN! He emailed me a link to a rare-ish bird called a Gray Hypocolius, and this turned out to be the winner! The pizza was yummy, too!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back