• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weird problem with thumbnail (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I cropped this photo to what you will (hopefully) see. Then something strange happened:C
The thumbnail shows the full (pre-crop) photo but when I click and open it-it shows the cropped version.
I don't know what we will see when this is posted-or what will happen when we click on it but.......can someone tell me why/how this has happened.
I have tried copying it to different locations/folders but the same thing occurs every time.
Thanks
Edit
Now I have posted it I can see that it only shows the cropped photo----hopefully someone can understand what I am trying to explain (I'm beginning to sound like my signature:eek!:)

Attachments

• CoalTit.JPG
    CoalTit.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
What program are you using to crop it in & what program to view it?

I'm guessing that the viewing program has cached the thumbnail, most do, and is showing its cached, older pre-crop, version. There will be some way to get it to redraw the thumbnail, it depends on the program.

What program are you using to crop it in & what program to view it?
I'm guessing that the viewing program has cached the thumbnail, most do, and is showing its cached, older pre-crop, version. There will be some way to get it to redraw the thumbnail, it depends on the program.

I stored in a simple folder on my desktop. I then opened & cropped it using Photofiltre (which I normally use). I then did a little work and closed it down-then noticed it showed the original 'full photo'. I thought "that's odd" and opened it up only to see the cropped version.
I dont understand what "cached" means (I understand the word but not in computer terms)

In windows, there is a hidden file called thumbs.db (in WinXP, at least). In that folder is hidden the small image that windows shows as the thumbnail for the image. I don't know why, but the image inside that file has not been updated when you did your editing and cropping. I am not sure how to force windows to update that database?

Try to see what happens after a shutdown and restart of you machine.

Niels

David,

It takes time for Windows to scan the images and draw the thumbnails so once it has done it it saves them away, caches them, so that next time it can just look in the cache. As Niels has said in Windows each folder has a hidden file called thumbs.db that contains the thumbnails. Hitting F5 should force Windows to redraw the thumbnails failing that you could got to Tools > Folder Options > View and set it to show hidden files and then delete the thumbs.db in that folder. Also in Tools > Folder Options > View you can tell Windows not to cache your thumbnails.

Mono

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back