• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acro warbler , Gull , swallows and martin. Ethiopia. (1 Viewer)

bassel

Hello for all again.

Had these birds last week in Ethiopia , and confirmation needed please.

1- African reed warbler ? (short and straight bill , buffy flanks and considerably small warbler).

2-Heuglins gull ?? (could be lesser black-backed , but I based the ID on the strong bill and size of the gull.

3-plain martin ?

4-Barn swallow ?

5-Barn swallow or red-chested ??

Am I right on my decissions ??

Thanks

Attachments

• african reed.jpg
    african reed.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture 252.jpg
    Picture 252.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture 530.jpg
    Picture 530.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Picture 796.jpg
    Picture 796.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Picture 348.jpg
    Picture 348.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 53
I'm giving up on the African Acros from pictures! But looks good for plain martin

Thanks TZ

I know these Acros are very tough. I should have memorized the sound ,although I am very weak on sounds, Also I based my decision from a downloaded photo from the net of an african reed(attached photo). I see they are very similar. Thanks for the martin anyway.

Attachments

• frican reed.jpg
    frican reed.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 38
What about Lesser Swamp Warbler?

Hello PIHA

Actually I think lesser swamp should be having longer bill and tail , and rich brown upperparts. But I am not dead sure , since really I dont know the main differences between the two. So let us see other's opinions.

Hello PIHA

Actually I think lesser swamp should be having longer bill and tail , and rich brown upperparts. But I am not dead sure , since really I dont know the main differences between the two. So let us see other's opinions.

Bassel

You should have learnt from the last one.

Brian S

Addendum (replying to PM) - sorry Bassel, I did not to be quite so brief. This image is not easy, so using my criteria from the other thread is not as applicable, but there is still something about this that does not equate with AfReed - the bill shape and colour/pattern, the strong feet would look odd on AfReed, the tip of p1 (outer) is perhaps just visible if you modify the image and is much longer than the pcoverts which are hidden (emarginations hard again, but the first seems far too short for AfReed), tail seems pretty well graduated to me. Finally, the feel of the bird, the crown shape, seems right for LSW, even though the face pattern is bland (bleached out by the lighting).

Finally, you ask about the book. Actually two are applicable: the first Birds of the Horn of Africa have my Acro illustrations in; secondly and with much more data 'Reed and Bush warblers' - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reed-Bush-Warblers-Identification-Guides/dp/0713660228

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back