• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colonel Boris' scruffy old sketchpad. (1 Viewer)

Hi Nick and Gaby - thanks very much!
I've thrown a spanner in the works and suggested an emu-wren species instead of the third fairy-wren, but I think I might try to do a whole set of fairy-wrens as well. I'm quite enjoying them!

Last one for a week or so, but to slightly change the theme, a pair of Mallee Emu-wrens. Had a lot of fun finding some of these birds in clumps of spinifex grass. That stuff is evil.

Attachments

• mallee_emu_wren_1_800.jpg
    mallee_emu_wren_1_800.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 93
It really is all about the blue - the most exotic colour in an early girlfriend's car was the electric blue high beam indicator. Dazzlingly bright - just as this is. Classy piece of work.

Thanks Nick, Tim and Gaby!
Been away for a while in Japan, Melbourne, Sydney and the rest of it has been flat out getting samples made for various beamline trips. No time at all to even check in the wildlife art thread, much less draw anything...
However, I have some new source materials from a few days' birding in Japan, so with a bit of time, I can draw something a bit new.

That is a very delicate illustration of a nice-looking wren! I like the name of the bird as well, it's a good thing that not everything is called blue-throated or long-tailed!

Thanks Ulrike, Oivind and Jenny. I've got another couple of drawings on the board at the moment for Australian Birdlife Magazine. I'm hoping to get the first finished this evening (kids allowing) and I'll see if I can get it on here before bed.

Weeks late, I finally got the two drawings for the article sfinished and even managed one for fun. One of the two prospective articles on 'dirty ticks' (i.e. ticking Ostriches in Australia) and the other on the phrase 'crippling views' and how it related to Cassowaries.
I'll leave it up to you lot to tell me what the last bird is - all I'll say is that it's from one of my holiday snaps in Tropical North Queensland.

Attachments

• ostrich_800.jpg
    ostrich_800.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 66
  • cassowary_800_h.jpg
    cassowary_800_h.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 55
  • macleays_honeyeater_1b_800.jpg
    macleays_honeyeater_1b_800.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 60
And another one for no particular reason. Australasian Gannet from a recent pelagic trip out of Wollongong.
It's hard work to make pencils look flat for the sky.

Attachments

• australasian_gannet_1b_800.jpg
    australasian_gannet_1b_800.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 52
Thanks, Ken, Paul and Matt!
The pencils I used were a mixture of Prismacolor/Karismacolors (found out recently that they're the same line, just taken over by Sanford when Berol stopped producing them), Caran D'Ache Pablo (hard, waterproof) and Supasoft (fairly soft watercolours, but I never use them as such) and a few Faber-Castell. The Faber Castells are a bit hard, but they have the best range of flesh tones, which I used for the dry grassland.
I'm going to mount it with a pale yellow mat with an inlay of the same pink as the grass an send it to the guy who took the photo (who also happens to be the guy who wrote the article).
The finished picture for the article is attached. It wasn't the one chosen for this issue, but might make an appearance in December's if the editor wants to run with that. Generally, there are two proposed articles each quarter and the editor runs with the one he likes most. The other goes into a rainy-day bank.
Cheers,

Tony

Attachments

• TFTT_ostriches_b3ta.jpg
    TFTT_ostriches_b3ta.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 57
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back