• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first try at drawing (1 Viewer)

Oskar Moilanen

I have such a respect for those that can really paint or draw, this was confirmed even more after my first try.
At the start it felt so daunting, but the further I got the hand started to flow a bit more. It felt very rewarding when it was done.

I used one of my photos of a Whooper Swan as a model, trying to imitate it on the paper.
I guess it took me just over an hour to finish it, completely exhausted now!
But I've just dipped my toe in the water, feels like I want to go further in.

Attachments

• 20121111-_IGP28633.jpg
    20121111-_IGP28633.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 2012-09-12 Rudsjön (2)2.jpg
    2012-09-12 Rudsjön (2)2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 107
Oskar, I am not at all able to draw. Having said that I think this is an excellent attempt.

Thanks for the kind words. Coming from some of your work which I admire that is a warming compliment.
I think it counts as my first attempt. The only other experience I have with drawing is doodling when I was a kid and some graffiti when I was a teenager.
But anyhow, this is a start and I really want to improve.

A question to those who have been doing this for a while.
Does it always feel so hard to get things on the paper or does it come more naturally as you progress?
I've drawn two more things now and managed to get a headache. Rewarding, but really hard work.

This is a great first effort Oskar...you should definitely stick with it...

I find it gets easier over time but I also know from experience that I if I stop drawing for awhile I get rusty and it takes time to get back in the groove...

These days I seem to have to make a couple of attempts to get a drawing to look the way I want it to...but then I haven't done much drawing in the last couple of years - been too busy working...

Welcome to the club!

Thanks for the kind words. Coming from some of your work which I admire that is a warming compliment.
I think it counts as my first attempt. The only other experience I have with drawing is doodling when I was a kid and some graffiti when I was a teenager.
But anyhow, this is a start and I really want to improve.

A question to those who have been doing this for a while.
Does it always feel so hard to get things on the paper or does it come more naturally as you progress?
I've drawn two more things now and managed to get a headache. Rewarding, but really hard work.

Blady hard fella to start off with. I started exactly like you Im sure you will see improvment and it does get easier. Going off your first attempt probabaly a lot sooner than you think:t:

Drew another one just now, didn't work out as I'd like. Started out very concentrated but lost it quickly and started to doodle, think I'm gonna have to pick some easier targets as this one felt way too hard.
It's another experience at least, will have to start a personal thread for the next drawing, as this will get off topic.

Attachments

• 20121112-_IGP28677.jpg
    20121112-_IGP28677.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 2012-10-31 Nyvall1.jpg
    2012-10-31 Nyvall1.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 73
I think you may be in the wrong job! I guess theres a certain amount you can learn but you've either got it or you havent and you certainly have it, fantastic so far.

Hi Oskar and welcome to the best bit of BF.

For first attempts these look very accomplished I'd say. Keep 'em coming! It's not always easy and you'll find that you'll always be happier with some drawings than others. But that doesn't matter because each drawing you do is another lesson. Draw on is what I say!

Mike

Oskar - as others have said you clearly have ability, these are very good for first attempts. It will get easier stick with it!

Flying birds and birds at odd angles aren't easy ones to start with, but you are getting the shapes right first time.

cheers, Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back