• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2017 (1 Viewer)

A brilliant suggestion for all year listing where the annual lists are known.

I also agree about kicking out the plastics.

Cheers
Mike

A rubbish idea ... ;)

Perhaps the best chance (and the easiest/cheapest way of doing it) of reaching the highest % would thus go to those attempting a Big Year in the year in which the least vagrants occurred; or at least the easiest to connect with, thus minimising dips.

Brings it down to the lowest common denominator.

In reality too our brains work more intuitively with numbers than percentages.

ABA listing is as it is. I doubt at this point in time your going to see a transition to any sort of other numerical system.

I take a rather different view. I think birders going for a big year ought to record all identifiable sub-species seen, and their totals should be adjusted if these are subsequently split (and reduced by relevant lumps). It's up to them whether they want to go for insurance birds, and those who make the effort to do so ought to enjoy the benefit.

I would also remove all exotic / introduced species from the reckoning. To me it seems just plain silly to make arbitrary decisions about whether e.g. Budgie populations are self-sustaining. Spending hundreds (or is it thousands?) of dollars chartering a helicopter to see an introduced Asian partridge seems just plain nuts...

It would also presumably make Hawaii much easier to deal with.

Again, you would probably have to dump all the existing records, since that data is absent. Honestly, if you want this sort of system to exist, it really needed to be created back in the 70's (and even what exactly constitutes a field identifiable form could be debated).

Exotics should be left in, if only because in the states, more so than I think Europe, there is weird snobbery towards exotics which has actually hindered science. For instance, Ebird reviewers in some parts (especially California) intentionally remove records of exotic birds from ebay, which in turn damages the best source of data for tracking the spread of potentially invasive species. I've definitely done a xmas bird count where people attempted to route AROUND places where they know they would encounter starlings and pigeons, as another example.

Wouldn't really influence Hawaii at all either. the exotics are for the most part relatively easy and would be picked up over the course of a normal birding trip. The difficult logistics are all around the endemics, which are often in remote and inaccessible/limited access areas, or which require pelagics, which are not offered to the same degree as they are offered off North Carolina or California.

I see that our 2016 hero Olaf has bagged himself a SIBERIAN-HEADED CHICKATIT!

http://olafsbigyear.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/tit-for-tat.html?m=1

Seems he also got the long-staying American Bitterness too :smoke:

Interesting to see Bradley/Olaf not far short of 800:-

http://ebird.org/ebird/top100?locInfo.regionCode=aba&year=AAAA

I still really don't see the bitterness in his 'warts and all' writing style but having been branded as a cheerleader by 'he who should not be questioned', I don't suppose that is a surprise to anyone.

All the best

I don't see it either, at least not in this posting. Actually I thought he was being fairly humorous about his experiences...

I was referring to his rather barbed comments about "another person" (aka JW) claiming to have seen Gray-headed Chickadee last year, and the rather obvious insinuation that he strung it.

JW: "774 9-Nov Gray-headed Chickadee Noatak National Preserve, Brooks Range, Alaska"

OD: "I did not see this bird in 2016. One person reported it un-witnessed where the Boreal chickadee also lives in western Alaska and two weeks later in November it was reported again by another person again unwitnessed and nobody produced a single photo. It wasn’t worth my effort to try that for a five figure bird (more than $10 grand to get it), that in some likelihood was not even a GHCH."

I was referring to his rather barbed comments about "another person" (aka JW) claiming to have seen Gray-headed Chickadee last year, and the rather obvious insinuation that he strung it.

JW: "774 9-Nov Gray-headed Chickadee Noatak National Preserve, Brooks Range, Alaska"

OD: "I did not see this bird in 2016. One person reported it un-witnessed where the Boreal chickadee also lives in western Alaska and two weeks later in November it was reported again by another person again unwitnessed and nobody produced a single photo. It wasn’t worth my effort to try that for a five figure bird (more than $10 grand to get it), that in some likelihood was not even a GHCH."

Yes - I remember it well:-

http://www.birdingfordevils.com/2016/11/mid-november.html

You are drawing the insinuation but in fairness, he does rather lead you to that. He uses 'reported', 'unwitnessed' & 'nobody produced a single photo'. I struggle with the meaning of unwitnessed.

Actually Bradley is one behind Olaf - they fell out on St Paul and Olaf refused to provide directions to the Mottled Petrel that he saw fly past.

I heard that Bradley stormed off never to be seen again. :king:

All the best

Last edited:
The Deans are back on the road: Rufous-backed Robin & California Condor!

Joe

Attachments

• BigYears2017.xlsx
    106.4 KB · Views: 42
  • BigYears2017ByCode.xlsx
    595.1 KB · Views: 33
Yve is at 796, as officially as one can be at this point. This should be the day she becomes the sixth member of the 800 Club!

Joe

The Deans picked up Barnacle Goose (the first of the 2017 Big Year birders to get it), and Yve added two today to move up into a ties with the Stolls at 803 apiece. She's probably still birding as I type this!
Next up on my (incredibly unofficial) list is Laura with 818.

As I mentioned, I won't put my "with Hawaii" list out there until after ABA releases the new list. However, what's fascinating to me is how similar the number of species of Hawaiian birds are for all of them. Yve is about to blow past them all, but as of today all six birders have either 55 or 56 Hawaiian species on my list. Some are species only found on the islands; some are like Yve's Black Noddy, a bird already on the ABA list that she added out there. Some species may not make the cut (Olaf's Mitred Parakeet and Yve's Burrowing Parakeet have already been removed from my tally based on info from the recent ABA publication), but I highly doubt that any further additions to my list will be forthcoming (other than Yve's additions, of course).

Joe

Last edited:
Hope some big year birders are winging towards long island right now...Corn Crake off the Ocean Parkway, and I think the first actual twitchable bird in at least a decade!

(Of course one only shows up once I move FROM Long Island...)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back