• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P600 and Kowa 883 + zoom (1 Viewer)

petemorris

Nikon P6000 and Kowa 883 + zoom

I realize that much of this may have been covered already, but can anyone advise on the simplest way of attaching these two items. I prefer to use a simple tube that can simply push on and off, and I do not wish to remove the rubber from the eyepiece (primarily, I need to have the scope available to look through). I currently use a Sony plus their adaptor and an LCE tube. Is there an equivalent simple set up for the coolpix 6000 and Kowa plus zoom? The hot shoe cable release looked very good and sturdy, better than the one that's superglued on the top of my long suffering and nearly dead w17!

Any good advise much appreciated

Pete :t:

Last edited:
... also, does anyone know the thread size of the UR E21 adaptor? is it 52mm? If so, does anyone know where I could get a step up ring, to go from my 30mm current 'tube' to the 52mm, and whether or not this would work?

Thanks in advance

I realize that much of this may have been covered already, but can anyone advise on the simplest way of attaching these two items. I prefer to use a simple tube that can simply push on and off, and I do not wish to remove the rubber from the eyepiece (primarily, I need to have the scope available to look through). I currently use a Sony plus their adaptor and an LCE tube. Is there an equivalent simple set up for the coolpix 6000 and Kowa plus zoom? The hot shoe cable release looked very good and sturdy, better than the one that's superglued on the top of my long suffering and nearly dead w17!

Any good advise much appreciated

Pete :t:

Pete,
As the P6000 lens is a bit more tricky to digiscope with than the P5100 due to it's wider lens , it's not as easy with a zoom eyepiece. Leaving the rubber eyecup on would make it more difficult to have a tube that's easy to slide on and off. I suggest you do some tests using rolled up cardboard tubes of various lengths and check the vignetting at various zoom settings. You can also do this using two tripods and measuring the distance from camera body to eyepiece.
I have the Kowa 25x LER eyepiece modified on my Swarovski STS80HD scope and this works well with the P6000 ( long eye relief ) but I don't have an adapter for it yet.
For adapters SRB-Griturn are a good place to start
http://www.srb-griturn.com/

Neil

Hi Neil

Thanks for the help. The issue with the scope is that I need to have it available for clients to look through.

I wish it was as easy as going to a shop and trying it out. There's no shops near me.

I have had great success with the w17, and using a tube on my 883 + 20-60 zoom, I lose all vignetting at 1.7x zoom on the camera (= equiv c65mm) when at 20x on the scope. Do you not think it would be similar on the p6000?

The rubber can only make c1mm difference on the Kowa eyepiece (in terms of how close the camera gets to the lens), but does make it easier for the folk to see the birds when I'm not taking pictures!

Do you recommend the coolpix family as the best route to go down currently? The discussions on the Sony cameras seem to have dried up, and no-one seems to be raving about anything else at the moment.

Cheers

Pete

If you want to have a professional look for your clients you should us the Kowa DA4 swing-out adapter with the DA10 eyepiece adapter. If that is too pricey then the DA10 with the proper adapter ring to thread onto the UR E21 might work. I don't know the adapter ring thread size you need or if the UR E21 takes a male thread.

good luck,
Rick

Hi Neil

Thanks for the help. The issue with the scope is that I need to have it available for clients to look through.

I wish it was as easy as going to a shop and trying it out. There's no shops near me.

I have had great success with the w17, and using a tube on my 883 + 20-60 zoom, I lose all vignetting at 1.7x zoom on the camera (= equiv c65mm) when at 20x on the scope. Do you not think it would be similar on the p6000?

The rubber can only make c1mm difference on the Kowa eyepiece (in terms of how close the camera gets to the lens), but does make it easier for the folk to see the birds when I'm not taking pictures!

Do you recommend the coolpix family as the best route to go down currently? The discussions on the Sony cameras seem to have dried up, and no-one seems to be raving about anything else at the moment.

Cheers

Pete

Pete,
The Coolpixes have very good screens and good functionality for digiscoping. The P5100 is the easiest to use and works well with zooms. There are many cameras that will digiscope these days. Maybe you could look for one thats fits snuggly in the rubber eyecup of your zoom. The Canon A590IS is also very good for zooms eyepieces but the screen is not as good as the Nikons and a bit difficult to see in sunlight. It's a good price now though.
Neil.

... also, does anyone know the thread size of the UR E21 adaptor? is it 52mm? If so, does anyone know where I could get a step up ring, to go from my 30mm current 'tube' to the 52mm, and whether or not this would work?

Thanks in advance

UR E21 = 43mm adaptor
UR E21 = female thread and it takes male threads

Last edited:

Thanks in advance

Try SRB Griturn Website, you will find something or call them for advice.

Cheers
Rob
Swift

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back