• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leucistic Jackdaw can any one confirm (1 Viewer)

Probably yes, but the pic quality is so poor it's hard to be sure - looks like it was taken through a window, and a lot of the "leucism" may just be reflections in the glass. Where was it taken, please?

Hi ,yes the picture was taking from my living room window ,it was a sunny day buti did see it later and it looked the same as in the pic but much clearer.

I don't thinks it's leucistic.. Leucistic is usually a paler to white colouration overall... This looks like a juv Jackdaw with bits of white flecks here and there... You see it a lot with Carrion Crows... They usually moult out to black when they next moult...

That is almost and in fact maybe, albino rather than leucistic, note leg and bill colour lacks pigment too. Not sure about irides, if they should change colour but the pupil, which isn't clear here maybe reddish?

Just to be clear, again, as this has been covered many times, even a single white feather is partial leucism, they don't have to be pale all over. Conversely, an all white bird isn't necessarily an albino unless even the bare part colours, including the eyes, lack pigmentation. This Jackdaw is an awkward one as they have grey eyes anyway.

A

Last edited:
From what I remember the dictionary definition of albino is any animal with white pigmentation which deviates from it's natural colour... So an all white leucistic is still an albino as well an animal of dilute colour.. I once went to see an albino Cassowary expecting a pink-eyed white bird, but instead found it had a pale ginger body with pale not quite pink eyes..
Many people claim an albino must be pure white and pink-eyed, but that is not the case...

From what I remember the dictionary definition of albino is any animal with white pigmentation which deviates from it's natural colour... So an all white leucistic is still an albino as well an animal of dilute colour.. I once went to see an albino Cassowary expecting a pink-eyed white bird, but instead found it had a pale ginger body with pale not quite pink eyes..
Many people claim an albino must be pure white and pink-eyed, but that is not the case...

I'd go back to the dictionary if I were you, they are white because they have NO pigmentation.

Yes, albinos are white where fur or feathers are concerned and red or pink where bare parts are concerned as blood (red colour down to haemoglobin) show through = no pigment.

Leucistic is where partial pigment loss occurs, either in patches or dilution throughout. Various other terms apply in specific cases.

Or something like that ...

I'd go back to the dictionary if I were you, they are white because they have NO pigmentation.
Thanks Andy... Your right.. Of course no pigmentation.. But as you know the lack of pigmentation results in a white animal.. I'm just pointing there are degrees of albinism.. They don't have to pure white pink-eyed to be an albino...

Thanks Andy... Your right.. Of course no pigmentation.. But as you know the lack of pigmentation results in a white animal.. I'm just pointing there are degrees of albinism.. They don't have to pure white pink-eyed to be an albino...

They need to lack pigmentation everywhere, including the eyes which somehow manifests in the red colour as Dan explained. Without the pink eyed appearance, even a totally white bird is luecistic, not albinistic.

In an albino, even the bill and the legs, lack pigmentation just like the Jackdaw here, we just can't see quite enough of the eyes but I'd guess that it is an albino rather than leucistic.

A

Last edited:
They need to lack pigmentation everywhere, including the eyes which somehow manifests in the red colour. Without the pink eyed appearance, even a totally white bird is luecistic, not albinistic.

In an albino, even the bill and the legs, lack pigmentation just like the Jackdaw here, we just can't see quite enough of the eyes but I'd guess that it is an albino rather than leucistic.

A

Andy is right, I second that :t:

Note that albinos are always all white for life because they are genetically unable to produce pigment, while leucistic are able to produce pigments; a dysfunction made the distribution of pigment erroneous, or reduce; the mistake, reduction or lack of pigment can be limited to a part of a feather, th the whole plumage or any intermediates. If he survives up to the next moult, it can have a different plumage, including a normal one. Never in albinos.

Last edited:
They need to lack pigmentation everywhere, including the eyes which somehow manifests in the red colour. Without the pink eyed appearance, even a totally white bird is luecistic, not albinistic.

A

Think you were slightly more right before you edited your post ... very disappointed :-O

Bizarrely, given the subject, this just popped up on twitter -

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/896774839087792128

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back