• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rainham Marsh. UK (1 Viewer)

Chris M

Hi All

Had a good day at Rainham today, the highlight being seeing a Peregrine on the tail of a Pigeon. Too fast to catch with my camera though. Could do with some help with these two please: I think I have a Linnet and a Redshank?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• P1030014_edited-1.gif
    P1030014_edited-1.gif
    75.6 KB · Views: 192
  • P1030107_edited-2.gif
    P1030107_edited-2.gif
    87.6 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
The Linnets are still confusing to the more experienced birder as they look like the much rarer Twite at this time of year, so don't worry!

Is the second bird a Linnet ? I see a dark bib , streaked flanks and dark moustache , not classic linnet features. bunting perhaps , reed possibly. It would be nice to see a second photo.

I think the contrasting grey head and brown mantle rule out reed bunting, though I can sort of see where your coming from with the apparent moustache and flank streaking. A trick of the light maybe? Redshank in breeding plumage and Male linnet for me also.

Thanks everyone. That was the best shot of the 'Linnet' but have this also if it helps to clarify things: same bird different position.

Attachments

• P1030103.JPG
    P1030103.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 82
Maybe its the colour presentation on my PC , but on my screen the bird in the first photo has a brown , not grey head. But clearly the much better second photo shows a linnet.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back