• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Light winds... Birds Birds Birds (1 Viewer)

Suffolkringer

Inland birding is hard work!!
Finally, the wind has dropped.

Had my record catch at my site on Suffolk coast today, 77 birds ringed, 25 Lesser Redpoll, only ever ringed 1 before in first week in Nov, had approx 300 L Roll South, 150 Sisk South and 70 Skylark South today, so the birds are on the go big time now the wind has dropped, but look out for Sisk and Red Roll in your gardens this winter, gonna be a big big year for them, they never move this early in such numbers.

Jon

Well done Jon, you certainly hit it right with no wind and plenty of birds, ideal for mist netting. Nice to catch all those Redpoll

Thanks Jon. Today was quieter, more wind today though. Only 35 birds today and only about 6-7 Rolls and only 2 Song Thrush, But 4 GC... Tomorrow (Weds) should be a really good Goldcrest day, and I am hoping for alot of thrushes, Song and first 3 blackbird of autumn today aswell so should get alot tomorrow.

Do you ring?

Suffolkringer said:
only about 6-7 Rolls

<g> yesterday you said you had only ever had 1 before !

Good going anyway. Don't think we have ever had one - we had one in the net, one of the ringers tried to chase it's mate in, and number one got away. Stupid !!

Mike.

Hi Jon,

Yes I am a ringer and have been for more years than I care to remember. Getting a bit old in the tooth now and my efforts are confined to my garden. Have ringed a nice sample of juvenile starlings this summer and many house sparrows. I remember years ago at a particular ringing site near the East coast of Lincs a colleague and I caught almost 100 redpolls one day. Those were the "good old days" . Look forward to reading your further results, hope your nets are full the autumn.

Regards
John Marshall

Peaked to soon

Well John

Despite the fantastic forecast I was left somewhat miffed off when I only caught 20 birds. Only 2-3 Song Thrush, with that weather previous experience should of meant I have caught quite a few. I guess they are just coming a little later each year, also the weather is very mild so maybe they arent leaving wherever they are coming from...

Only 1 goldcrest aswell which I found quite staggering, again probably just a case of coming later on in the month. Patience is a virtue. But looks like I peaked to soon on 77... But 120-130 birds is a dam good 3 days ringing in anyones book.

To you tape lure John? Where abouts do you live?

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back