• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (3 Viewers)

Well done with the Garganey Dan! Even though most of the wildfowl move off it can be a great time of year at College Res for birding.

Cheers! I was looking in the hope, and for once, had the desired result. If it can get Purple Heron ... it must be able to get other 'marsh' stuff like this... will have another look in later on today of course ...

30th March 2010, College Reservoir

The Garganey still present on College this evening. Sand Martins c.140, Swallows 10+, difficult to count as they were hunting low over the water - all previous occasions I've seen them they've been at least at tree top height - sometimes far higher. Could be something to do with the high winds experienced ...

Mini-fall of Willow Warbler (4) up at mine near Treverva after a squall, and Merlin again - adult male.

Couldn't find the Garganey on Wednesday morning, in poor weather (frequent heavy hailstorms) but lots of Swallows and Sand Martins.

A Sandwich Tern past Pendennis Point at 12.20 yesterday, as we sat eating our pasties!

Jon

If the Lizard is counted here....
"Woodchat Shrike (male) in church cove on slope between lifeboat access road and lane running down to cove, flitting between gorse bushes and ground at 1420hrs"
Found by Alix and Mike Lord

No sign of the two Garganey at College res. late afternoon. They were probably there but i wasn't looking hard enough :t: good numbers of Swallow + Sand Martin. All the normal residents. Also 2 LT Tits with nesting material.
Woodchat Shrike showing well at Church cove.

Couldn't find the Garganey on Friday at College Reservoir. Do they come and go or am I just not looking in the right place? They've been reported Saturday and today. Are evenings better?

Couldn't find the Garganey on Friday at College Reservoir. Do they come and go or am I just not looking in the right place? They've been reported Saturday and today. Are evenings better?

Seems like they could be elusive (there isn't really anywhere else they'd be going, I'd have thought? ... and surely unlikley that a procession of pairs coming in to replace earlier ones lol) ... I last had a brief look on Friday morning too, with no success - no sign to the west of the island at the south side where I had seen them previously in the week (over the little bridge and taking the better boardwalk to the left side of the lake, and then taking a loop near the island, after a hundred yards or more, taking care not to spook anything). Spoke to someone today who'd apparently gone down earlier on today (sunday), given the place a good grilling, but not connected.

Evenings the light was better at any rate. The vegetation isn't too bad - but they could easily be hidden I guess, and not everywhere is quite visible (eg the very southern end of the lake). Don't know the specifics of the later sightings meself. Good luck if you try again.

Incidently, wellies probably advisable (but you'd get away without them with care - definitely useful if taking the path to the right to view the main waterbody), back on friday there were singing Willow Warbler, Blackcap and plenty of Chiffchaff, in addition to the 'regular' 50+ Sand Martin and handful of Swallows.

There has been a sign at the start of the path saying that it is closed due to health and safety reasons (mud/collapsing boardwalks I guess?), so of course no-one should be actively encouraged to go there ;) . I have also heard that there is talk of opening the lake up for better public amenity use - whether that just means repairing the boardwalks so more people can walk around, starting up of fishing like on Argal, or something else, I don't know. My natural suspicion is that anything would be to the detriment of the wildlife present, but I don't know for sure ...

Thanks Dantheman,

I did walk both sides, well halfway up the eastern edge (I know what you mean about wellies:eek!:), all the way down the western edge, getting off the boardwalk to get a closer look at the lake every now and then. There are a lot of hiding places though so I probably just missed them. :-C

Off to try for the Woodchat Shrike now, may try College after.

Thanks again!

Hi All,
I was under the impression that College Res. was closed to visitors due to the bad state of the footpaths, is this not the case anymore?

The official line from SWLT (South West Lakes Trust) is that College Res. is closed to the public and protected as a nature reserve for now. There are plans to open it up and possibly put in a hide which would be a good move to avoid disturbance at the marsh end. That marshy end has had Lesser Scaup, 3+ Ring-necked Ducks and Purple Heron in the last few years alone.
A couple of year back the BTCV (British Trust for Conservation Volunteers or should that be Vandals?!) removed a large section of boardwalk on the southern stretch and never got round to putting in a new one leaving a 100m section of seriously boggy narrow path, so wellies definitely advised for a full lap of the lake.
This lack of accessibility probably helps to make the lake good for birds however, so definitely worth a visit. Good for passage white-wingers and scarce migrants at this time of year although usually a bit quiet for waders unless the water level drops. The last time the water level seriously dropped (back in the 80's), Long-billed Dowitcher and Least Sandpiper were found!
Thanks. Henry.

College Reservoir;

Despite the poor state of the paths, I still encounter 'the general walking public', often with a dog or two (sometimes even on a lead ;) ) maybe every 3rd visit or so. During last friday's brief 20 minute visit I encountered 3 other members of the public on the path. The gateway from the road between the two reservoirs is not physically blocked at all, although it is a little inconspicuous.

Garganey pair still present this evening at 6pm at the same place I'd seen them early last week; starting from the southern end from the road, taking an obvious left before reaching the water and going over the bridge. 250 yards or so further on and just after the 2nd section of boardwalk there is an obvious turn to the right leading to the waters edge. Continuing parallel to the water for maybe 40 yards (?) and before the path loops back to main boardwalk you have a fairly obscured view of the main reservoir. The Garganey were out in the floating vegetation behind the island, at maybe 12:30 - o- clock as you look to the north end of the reservoir from this point, visible between the branches of a mossy dead tree in the water ... about halfway or further up the side of the 'island' of mature trees.

A couple of Teal present too, and Swallow (60+), Sand Martin (30+) and House Martin 1 as viewed from the east side of the res. Willow Warbler etc.

Pic below; spot the Garganey ... somewhere in that spit of floating vegetation in the middle of the pic! Not the best viewing position possibly, there might be better access further up the side of the reservoir, but it's a balance with minimising disturbance of course.

Attachments

• image009.jpg
    image009.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
College Reservoir;

Despite the poor state of the paths, I still encounter 'the general walking public', often with a dog or two (sometimes even on a lead ;) ) maybe every 3rd visit or so. During last friday's brief 20 minute visit I encountered 3 other members of the public on the path. The gateway from the road between the two reservoirs is not physically blocked at all, although it is a little inconspicuous.

Garganey pair still present this evening at 6pm at the same place I'd seen them early last week; starting from the southern end from the road, taking an obvious left before reaching the water and going over the bridge. 250 yards or so further on and just after the 2nd section of boardwalk there is an obvious turn to the right leading to the waters edge. Continuing parallel to the water for maybe 40 yards (?) and before the path loops back to main boardwalk you have a fairly obscured view of the main reservoir. The Garganey were out in the floating vegetation behind the island, at maybe 12:30 - o- clock as you look to the north end of the reservoir from this point, visible between the branches of a mossy dead tree in the water ... about halfway or further up the side of the 'island' of mature trees.

A couple of Teal present too, and Swallow (60+), Sand Martin (30+) and House Martin 1 as viewed from the east side of the res. Willow Warbler etc.

Pic below; spot the Garganey ... somewhere in that spit of floating vegetation in the middle of the pic! Not the best viewing position possibly, there might be better access further up the side of the reservoir, but it's a balance with minimising disturbance of course.

Well dagnam it that's where we walked last Wednesday, and looked we thought quite carefully at all the vegetation......:-C

But the viewing doesn't improve further on.

Jon

Well dagnam it that's where we walked last Wednesday, and looked we thought quite carefully at all the vegetation......:-C

But the viewing doesn't improve further on.

Commiserations/apologies ...

That blinding white head stripe of the male is actually quite good camouflage in the vegetation, and earlier in the day maybe they are resting up more ... at least you've got Sarnie (not Pasty?) Tern on Pendennis point ... ;)

Apparently Otters have been seen on College too (last year I think), haven't seen anything myself yet ...

Not had much chance to do that much birding myself the last week or so ... but anyway ...

Sat 10th April - today, went on a family orientated ferry trip across to St Mawes from Falmouth. Pleasant day, lots of Chiffchaff singing and a few Swallows. Avian highlight was four Whimbrel on the rocks just around the corner from St Mawes Castle with 20 Oystercatchers and 2 Little Egret at high tide. The main highlight was a pod of maybe 10+ Bottlenose Dolphins on the way back, just off Falmouth. The boat slowed and stopped even as everyone crowded to the front to get views which included a bit of jumping action etc. Something (presumably) put all the gulls and pigeons into the air as we disembarked back at Falmouth, couldn't pick anything out though unfortunately ...

Wednesday 7th April - male House Sparrow inside Falmouth Asda!

Female Goshawk reported in the area during the week - quite possibly flew over me whilst I was tree planting as it was seen over the neighbouring farm to me between Treverva and Constantine, circling high before heading SW. In fact, bit disappointed as I might even have got onto it if I'd been alerted at the time!! Oh well ...

Interesting to see an influx of Red Kites to the region today (including 1 over Asda at 7.30am - I was up at the field not so far away at the time checking the moth trap at the time!), and mega news a little further afield of a Balearic Shrike on the Lizard! Might have to pay a visit that way ...

I'm down in Falmouth on Monday for the night - please keep both Shrikes on hold!!

A case of two shrikes, and you're out? ... ;)

Balearic reported this morning, not sure about t'other. College res. this am - couldn't see the Garganey, and no hirundines whatsoever either.

Made it down to the Lizard today, unfortunately no Shrikes to be seen :-C

Windmill Farm - almost the first bird I set eyes on was a distant Red Kite. It eventually came closer - nice. Lots of Willow Warblers singing, must have been dozens in total, lesser numbers of Chiffchaff. A Dartford Warbler started singing about ten feet away from before popping up onto the top of a Gorse bush. Half a dozen Wheatear on the edge of Predannack Airfield. A smart male Ring Ouzel and 3 Tree Pipits in the small fields were very nice, with a few more Meadow Pipits, Skyark and a couple more Wheatear. Small numbers of Swallow and Sand Martin.

Lizard Point - after a brief stop at the shrike stake-out, and there having been so sign so far, I took on the walk around the headland from Church Cove. Very little on offer - lots of the public enjoying the sunshine. Usual birds like Stonechat, Rock Pipits, Gannet and the pair of Chough and a Raven. Highlight was 13 Wheatear in a field on the west side of the point. Returned back to Church Cove for another go at the Shrike, but still no sign.

Haven't really done any proper birding for weeks now - too busy, and it's main migration time. Crazy.

I see there was a Purple Heron reported at Stithians yesterday (16:00). Wondering if anyone has heard anything on this? (Thinking ****, had a heron fly low over me against the sun yesterday afternoon up near Treverva (a couple of miles away). Couldn't really get enough on it, but I was thinking possible Purp at the time .... aaghhh! ;) )

Erm ... not much else that I've seen, Whitethroats back, visited College Res this morning but it was even quieter than a few weeks back...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back