• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

Undoubted highlight of the last few days around the patch was a Wryneck at Sidestrand (in an area with no general access).

Also good numbers of Redstarts, Whinchats and Wheatears, plus the odd Pied & Spotted Fly's, Yellow Wags and a Reed Warbler were also evident on the daily rounds.

Still a few Swifts lingering with 3 over the village this morning.

Simon

Attachments

• Wryneck1.jpg
    Wryneck1.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 226
The Wryneck has NO SPOTS ! !

Stuart: if you are unable to see it (the Wryneck) in the centre of the pic, I suggest you quietly hang up your bins and take up crochet.

After the catching-up of yesterday, a much quieter time, with coverage of just some of my local patches.

Gramboro’ held nothing earlier, but in the afternoon, a nice Knot had appeared again- as had a Wheatear.

It is immediately apparent why some drivers enter the Cley VC car park the wrong way: one of the ‘no entry’ signs has faded to almost white and the other can’t be seen if coming from the Cley direction.

Walsey was interesting only for insects- as was Friary Hills. There was the most objectionable dog person, who thought that permission could be given to break the law ! Guilt was written all over her blustering face.

A fine array of fungi, an accommodating Comma and, best of all, a tip-off (thanx 2 Shanx) to some Henbane flowers, on the legally-accessible grounds of Wiveton Hall.

Attachments

• 129psesm.jpg
    129psesm.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 033psesm.jpg
    033psesm.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 003psesm.jpg
    003psesm.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 015psesm.jpg
    015psesm.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 70
  • 009psesm.jpg
    009psesm.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Arctic Warbler - stunning views!!!

Arrived at Holme NOA carpark at 8.20am at the same time as Connor and Ray!

Stood with others to try and view the Arctic Warbler. Lovely views of a Spotted Flycatcher round the back of the pines. Had my first viewing of many, of the Arctic Warbler at 9.35am - awesome bird and got a half decent shot aswell! Incredibly difficult to photograph as you only got a few seconds viewing before it disappeared again! Around a hundred people watching the bird.

Walked to Gore Point with Irene, Ray and Connor to try and see a reported Lapland Bunting but no luck, only a flock of 20+ linnets on the beach. Hobby also at 12.45pm. More views of the Arctic Warbler later on including it showing well in the sunshine continuously for a good 5 minutes. I then walked back through the observatory and sat in the middle hide on bank for a while, but no birds of note. Went to the Firs and showed Pat my Arctic Warbler picture and bought a bar of chocolate. Relocated the car to half way down the Firs road and walked around the NWT Forestry to find nothing but magpies!

Went to Titchwell RSPB and walked to the Island Hide to have a nose and see what they had been up to - it all looks very different! In the ladies loo! I found 3 moths which I photographed with the iphone: a Snout, Smoky Wainscot and Setaceons Hebrew Character (ID'd by Sophie later).

Thornham Harbour
- along with Eddie Myers watched 9 Spoonbills at 6.20pm distantly in the channel.

Went back to Holme to attempt another viewing of the Arctic Warbler and pictures, but no luck. Took some sunset pictures and then ended up in Hunstanton for fish 'n' chips!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Stapled

I hope this helps ! There's your goal. It might also assist Stuart in locating the bird. ;)

Assisting no-one yesterday was the photographer I spied from Walsey, when scanning the Wry-twitchers, sitting almost INSIDE the bush it preferred to inhabit. :C Everyone else was considerately high upon the shingle bank.

With any luck, we'll find some more before you arrive, 'peteh', and thereby'll hang a tale- unlike from your felines ! :cat: (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Attachments

• 012psesmstapledsmsm.jpg
    012psesmstapledsmsm.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 185
The Same

I hope this helps ! There's your goal. It might also assist Stuart in locating the bird. ;)

Assisting no-one yesterday was the photographer I spied from Walsey, when scanning the Wry-twitchers, sitting almost INSIDE the bush it preferred to inhabit. :C Everyone else was considerately high upon the shingle bank.

With any luck, we'll find some more before you arrive, 'peteh', and thereby'll hang a tale- unlike from your felines ! :cat: (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

It was the same on tuesday when the Wryneck was 1st spotted everybody on the shinglebank & 1 photographer 6ft from it .

Pleasant afternoon either side of the Yare.
Buckenham Marshes did not harbour quite the wader fest I had hoped for, Snipe and Lapwing the best I could manage. A little better on the raptor front though: Buzzard, Marsh Harrier Kestrel and best of all a Hobby.
Excellent views of the Black Tern which has made Rockland Broad its temporary home, although no sign of the Osprey here.
Surlingham Marsh was surpisingly lively considering Sunday is a shooting day nearby. New patch ticks included a Mistle Thrush, fly-over Mipit, Coal Tit, Goldcrest and the mighty Rook! Should really be out there now getting some owl action, but I do also need to eat at some point.

Cheers,
Jim.

At Stiffkey this afternoon, with the Fen yielding the most variety Ive seen there - 10 Curlew Sands dwindling to one by the evening, a Little Stint, 2 Wood Sand, 2 Green Sand, Common Sand, Spotted Red, 6 noisy Greenshank, 8 Ruff, a few Snipe, also a Black Tern patrolling the far bank, Water Rail, 2 Buzzard grappling under an incredibly bright rainbow.

Massive display from senior officers of the Russian Navy ?

Gramboro’ started the day very quietly: nothing of note- the Goldfinch numbers now dwindling. Walsey and Friary, the same. Surely, it wasn’t going to be one of those days.

The westernmost track at Warham Greens was notable, but for its profusion of butterflies: 10 Red Admirals, 5 Commas and an extremely faded Painted Lady in the same ivy bush. A Small Tortoiseshell nearby.

The brilliantly sunny and warm autumn day then continued at Wells Woods, where 2 Spotted Flycatchers were the undoubted highlights. I just don't see these all that often. Does anyone, now ?

Sarbury Hill held a probable Garden Warbler.

Returning to Gramboro’, a female-type Redstart, with faint pale wing panels (!), must have been new.

A couple of Wheatears were along from Weybourne to Kelling.

Attachments

• 001psealtsm.jpg
    001psealtsm.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 010psesm.jpg
    010psesm.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 036psesm.jpg
    036psesm.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 043psesm.jpg
    043psesm.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 100
The brilliantly sunny and warm autumn day then continued at Wells Woods, where 2 Spotted Flycatchers were the undoubted highlights. I just don't see these all that often. Does anyone, now ?

Fortunately yes, 2 pairs took up territory in our small village, [one pair failed first time round then moved and built a nest in an ivy covered ash tree], another pair successfully raised young near Heydon.

Artic Warbler again!

Had the best Monday morning EVER on a working week!!! Every week 2 therapists from our team have to work a late shift resulting in one per month each and so today I worked from 12pm until 8pm which mean't I could go birding this morning!;)

After doing a double shift yesterday I didn't set the alarm, but woke up at 7am and ended up at Holme by 9amish. On the way down to the reserves, 3 Goldfinches were on teasels half way down the Firs Road. I had to leave by 10.30am to get back to work, so I had an hour and a half to see and attempt to get a better photograph of the Arctic Warbler! (ha ha) Beautiful sunny morning, sea right up the dunes again and to my surprise quite a few birders on site for the Arctic Warbler. I was soooo lucky to both see and photograph it again, in fact I saw it more or less straight away at 9.15am and got some half decent shots (pre the sun coming fully out of course!). I havn't seen any photographer get any prize winning shots yet though - its a little devil to photograph which actually is what compels me to keep going back to get the perfect shot! It seemed alive with birds this morning and I so wished I didn't have to leave to go back to work (must find myself a rich sugar daddy, so I can go birding, photograph, start painting again etc etc!;))

Bumped into Bas Harding whilst there who showed me his NOA permit - it was the first one he had ever bought he said - he had never had to pay in all the 65 years he had been coming to Holme! He smiled and said he was going to get it framed! Also bumped into Barry Jarvis (long time NOA member). Walked back to car via the observatory - on route I saw something I had never seen, which equalled seeing the Arctic Warbler again - alongside the steps up to the main bank (from obs.) I suddenly spotted a common lizard lounging on blackberries, a good few feet off the ground - it was the perfect Macro shot and where was the macro lens..... in the car!!! It simply looked stunning, it glittered in the sunshine and set against black and red blackberries it would have been a masterpiece - there was no way I had time to go back to the car for the macro lens, so stood back and took a record shot (at wrong angle) with the 300mm lens - how frustrating! Anyway, I continued along the main bank and stood with others to attempt to see the Barred Warbler which had been showing 'a couple of minutes ago', so Barry J. told me! Missed the barred warbler as HAD to leave for work now - it was now 10.35am and the supermarket I had intended on going to would now have to be scrapped! Stopped at Old Hunstanton shop to grab a vege pasty which I ate on route back to King's Lynn and made it to work on time! No sign of the Red necked Phalarope today.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

These pictures taken on Saturday 11th September.

More pictures on blog and more to come!

Attachments

• IMG_7609-web.jpg
    IMG_7609-web.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_7702-crop-new.jpg
    IMG_7702-crop-new.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
morning all
well we are back home after a hectic couple of weeks
1st day out went to cley decided to walk round the out side of NWT reserve
1st bird we spotted Marsh harriers what a great raptor
walking upto wards beach met a nice guy with a very big camera stopped for a chat told us about the little egret so off we plodded and their it was
what a great start to our holiday

walked round the reserve spoke to various folk who told us what was around
then went in to NWT centre both became members as it seemed the best option

over our time in norfolk
tree creeper frielbrigg
bearded tits godwits curlews and sandpiper curlews stint spoonbills avocets red shanks snipe, love the shellducks cormorants kesrtel wheater all at cley oh forgot the ring plover
hobbys
black swans
sedge warbler cley but looking at a photo on here might have been artic stood only 5feet from it
purchased the book best bird watching sites in norfolk really helpful
also a dvd on birds
will be back next may and september
thanks to everyone who I spoke to at cley for pointing out alot of these birds

yep meant bearded in my excitement to tell you put crested sorry

Last edited:
morning all
well we are back home after a hectic couple of weeks
1st day out went to cley decided to walk round the out side of NWT reserve
1st bird we spotted Marsh harriers what a great raptor
walking upto wards beach met a nice guy with a very big camera stopped for a chat told us about the little egret so off we plodded and their it was
what a great start to our holiday

walked round the reserve spoke to various folk who told us what was around
then went in to NWT centre both became members as it seemed the best option

over our time in norfolk
tree creeper frielbrigg hall
crested tits godwits curlews and sandpiper curlews stint spoonbills avocets red shanks snipe, love the shellducks cormorants kesrtel wheater all at cley
hobbys
black swans
sedge warbler cley but looking at a photo on here might have been artic stood only 5feet from it
purchased the book best bird watching sites in norfolk really helpful
also a dvd on birds
will be back next may and september
thanks to everyone who I spoke to at cley for pointing out alot of these birds

I hope you meant Bearded Tits!!!

Penny.
They are the best pics of the Arctic I have seen. Well done.

John

Hi all, there has been a juvenile Marsh Harrier at Strumpshaw with 2 wingtags, Left white 36 and Right pale blue.
The bird has been tagged as a chick on the Isle of Sheppy, would be interesting if this bird is recorded elsewhere in Norfolk this winter, keep an eye out.
Other than that I spent 5 mins in reception hide and saw Bittern, Otter and Hobby, not bad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back