• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

Its amazing how far it actually was! Took 1 1/2 hours to do 80 miles and you are over in west Norfolk so guessing it was a good 100 miles? possibly more!
What we go through for moments like this! SO worth it!

92.5 miles each way and worth every mile! I only drove half this though. Got a lift with someone half way! Left King's Lynn 4.45pm got to Norwich 5.30pm and saw the Roller at 7.10pm!:t:

92.5 miles each way and worth every mile! I only drove half this though. Got a lift with someone half way! Left King's Lynn 4.45pm got to Norwich 5.30pm and saw the Roller at 7.10pm!:t:

Ah least it was under 100! 45 minutes from Kings Lynn to Norwich is going some! Hope you obeyed the law Penny ;) Can't blame you if you didn't though! I didn't either!

Ah least it was under 100! 45 minutes from Kings Lynn to Norwich is going some! Hope you obeyed the law Penny ;) Can't blame you if you didn't though! I didn't either!

'Penelope Pitstop' (as Eddie Myers calls me;)) There was no way I was going to miss that bird for anything! Actually I take a short cut, it takes at least 15 minutes off the journey. From the hospital, go straight over the roundabout past the crem., and turn off at Gayton Mill to join up with the A47. Also it was 'Easton' I went to, which is approx 10 miles west of Norwich;)

'Penelope Pitstop' (as Eddie Myers calls me;)) There was no way I was going to miss that bird for anything! Actually I take a short cut, it takes at least 15 minutes off the journey. From the hospital, go straight over the roundabout past the crem., and turn off at Gayton Mill to join up with the A47. Also it was 'Easton' I went to, which is approx 10 miles west of Norwich;)

Ahh yea I know that short cut! Yea Easton is surprisingly far out of Norwich so 45 minutes is reasonable!
Did you go straight down the A140 to Ipswich or cut through Debenham and Eye etc?

Fantastic views of the Red footed Falcon at Hickling this afternoon - waited an hour an a quarter for the bird to come closer - and it did;) got some half decent shots sitting on the fence and in flight. Dipped on the Marsh Warbler at Winterton though:-C

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Red-footed Falcon - more on blog.

Attachments

• IMG_3035-WEB.jpg
    IMG_3035-WEB.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 153
Titchwell June 14th

Today’s highlights

Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh mid-morning only
Green sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Bittern – 2 juveniles on grazing marsh
Little gull – 2 1st summers on fresh marsh
Black tailed godwit – 70 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

How many red-foots?
A walk down the main track from Horsey Corner car park this morning resulted in a deja vu moment when I came face to face with a male red-footed falcon sitting on a post at the side of the path. From a head on view it looked like an adult but as soon as it turned slightly it was apparent it was a 1st summer.
Based on plumage I'm convinced that the bird is the same one that was there last Wednesday in exactly the same place and is also the bird which was at Hickling over the weekend.
After 'finding' the Hickling bird with another birder and putting the news out on Sunday (at the time didn't know it had been present late Saturday) myself and two others also had very distant views in the haze of what we were convinced was a female red-foot and put the news out as a 'probable'. In the afternoon the pager came up with both 1-s male and a female and would be interested to hear if anyone saw the female on Sunday.
Of interest(?) the bird this morning did what I think hobbies often do early in the day and that is to just sit around waiting for the air to warm up and the insects to become active so they are not always easy to find first thing. In the hour or so that I watched the bird for 99% of the time it was just loafing about on fence posts until it was eventually flushed by a group of holidaymakers walking down the Nelson Head track and I didn't see it again.
[Just seen on the pager it's back in the same area this evening - always worth a look!]

Mick

Today’s highlights

Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh mid-morning only
Green sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Bittern – 2 juveniles on grazing marsh
Little gull – 2 1st summers on fresh marsh
Black tailed godwit – 70 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

spoonbill over west bank at 4:15, bittern over marsh soon after. Also little egret over about 3:45. Blackcap near fen hide and several sedge and cettis warblers and bearded tit and reed hunting around 2:30.2 marsh harriers also present.

Pete Snook just phoned me to say his is watching the Red-footed Falcon at Horsey all by himself with stunning, close views. He said he can't believe there is no one else there!!!:t:

Well done Pete!;)

No twitchers present?

Pete Snook just phoned me to say his is watching the Red-footed Falcon at Horsey all by himself with stunning, close views. He said he can't believe there is no one else there!!!:t:

Well done Pete!;)

• Many would have gone on Sunday. I had other commitments.
  • After the roller twitch yesterday, I wasn't keen on a trip to Horsey Nelson's Head area, starting from north Norwich in the rush hour.
  • How mobile is the bird? Is a long(ish) walk involved? I was able to watch the roller whilst drinking tea next to where I had parked.
  • May well have gone if the red-foot was in the Cley Square. Not many records of the species there. I have seen a few over the years in the east of the county but none on the north coast at all, strangely.

Well Ruth (Girlfriend) has been desperate to see a Bittern for a while so took her to Titchwell today and luck was on her side with 2 sightings!
Also got a picture of these beauties, nothing major just a photo which I thought came out well for a small Samsung WB600!
Enjoy :)

Attachments

• SAM_1502.jpg
    SAM_1502.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 77
Marsh Warbler at Horsey Corner-Anyone know the exact location it was heard? Nelson's Head track?
Also same for the Red-Footed Falcon, don't know the area too well so directions would be great :)

If you look at the attached map Oliver you'll see (the arrow) where the Nelson Head track joins the dunes. Easiest parking is further to the north, as marked on the map. :t:

Can anyone elaborate on today's probable longipennis Common Tern at Breydon Water? Following this Surfbirds discussion and the article in the latest Birding World it would be nice if this bird were to hang around for a while...

James

Attachments

• Horsey Nelson Head track.JPG
    Horsey Nelson Head track.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Titchwell June 15th

Today’s highlights

Spotted redshank – 7 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 1st summer on fresh marsh
Wheatear – 1 by beach boardwalk
Bittern – female feeding 4 young and showing well from main path

Paul

If you look at the attached map Oliver you'll see (the arrow) where the Nelson Head track joins the dunes. Easiest parking is further to the north, as marked on the map. :t:

Can anyone elaborate on today's probable longipennis Common Tern at Breydon Water? Following this Surfbirds discussion and the article in the latest Birding World it would be nice if this bird were to hang around for a while...

James

Cheers James :).

Red-Spotted Bluethroat at West Runton today, majorly elusive but got 2 sightings between 5:00-5:15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back