• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Tyke Meet of 2013 (1 Viewer)

As you say - looking good. I'd forgo the waxwings for glaucous gull at Rufforth.

How sad things are....when King Keith is resigned to Gulls! (Quote from Shakespeare;Ken,chapter 2,"Thye shall never watche gulles,unless the be a lesbiane").

And yet,we still would bury you here,amongst these waxwings!

Ok...pushing it now!But will check tomorrow and sunday for you as its 5 mins around corner.Think I nstill have Kens number,hope you have a good day!

Doc

No glaucous about today (by my inexperienced eyes) I did suspect one bird might be a caspian but need to get confirmed. Both sets of gulls and airfield spooked after 5 mins because of the microlites taking off & landing.

Went on to askham bog had 4 marsh tits & 2 willow tits down to yards away, if you want to go tomorrow bring a small bag of mixed seed, great photo op

Edit: juv glaucous gull reported at poppleton this morning

Last edited:
Doc - love the quote, dare you to call Andy Kinghorn a lesbiane... ;)

Nail the bloody glauc to the floor so it'll be there for me tomorrow. Not bothered 'bout the waxxers too much.

Cracking day out around the LDV. Racked up the year ticks and Bewick's Swan makes it onto my Yorkshire list. Took some finding though at long range by Derwent Cottage Farm. Just shy of 70 species for the day.

Oh, and 4 species of raptor :t:

The Waxwings showed well in Acomb and left deposits on Andy's car (he parked under the tree) and Keith's head. Poppleton and Rufforth were damp squibs although I did find a 1960 OS map of York

The Waxwings showed well in Acomb and left deposits on Andy's car (he parked under the tree) and Keith's head. Poppleton and Rufforth were damp squibs although I did find a 1960 OS map of York

Keith was asking for it with a comment like this "Not bothered 'bout the waxxers too much." :-O

I'll disagree with you Ken, I've 70 ticks on my crib sheet for the day. Richard and I picked up herring gull at Rufforth in the large flock that flew over before the micro light spooked them all.

Guano on the noggin is supposed to be good luck isn't it? Twas the bird's reply to my taking photos of it's arse.

I've not counted coal tit either, so really 71.

Hells bells - it's 72 as I've not listed the mistle thrush we saw when leaving Ellerton

Last edited:
Cracking day with good company, always enjoy the meets, looking forward to the next one!

Oh and I'm not washing my car now, not many people can say they have waxwing poo on their car! (and also washer fluid doesn't even touch it!)

The complete day list & for once I reckon I've got the lot
1. Little grebe
2. Gt crested grebe
3. Comorant
4. Grey heron
5. Mute swan
6. Bewick's swan
7. Whooper swan
8. Pink-footed goose
9. Greylag goose
10. Canada goose
11. Barnacle goose
12. Egyptian goose
13. Shelduck
14. Wigeon
15. Gadwall
16. Teal
17. Mallard
18. Pintail
19. Pochard
20. Tufted duck
21. Goldeneye
22. Goosander
23. Sparrowhawk
24. Buzzard
25. Kestrel
26. Peregrine
27. Pheasant
28. Moorhen
29. Coot
30. Golden plover
31. Lapwing
32. Dunlin
33. Ruff
34. Black-tailed godwit
35. Curlew
36. Redshank
37. Black-headed gull
38. Common gull
39. Herring gull
40. Gt black-backed gull
41. Stock dove
42. Woodpigeon
43. Collared dove
44. Green woodpecker
45. Gt spotted woodpecker
46. Sky lark
47. Pied wagtail
48. Waxwing
49. Wren
50. Dunnock
51. Robin
52. Blackbird
53. Fieldfare
54. Mistle thrush
55. Redwing
56. Song thrush
57. Long tailed tit
58. Coal tit
59. Blue tit
60. Gt tit
61. Magpie
62. Jackdaw
63. Rook
64. Carrion crow
65. Starling
66. House sparrow
67. Tree sparrow
68. Chaffinch
69. Goldfinch
70. Bullfinch
71. Reed bunting
72. Corn bunting
73. Feral pigeon - this is an optional extra;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back