• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (5 Viewers)

Female Golden-backed Weaver in Dubai, UAE. Not happy about ticking this species as a Cat C species in the wrong country and region!

Been a while

Some recent and very shiny lifers found while tramping around the foothills of the Perez Zelodon region of Southern Costa Rica.

Northern Schiffornis
Red-crowned Ant Tanager

Couple of weeks ago at Lappalanjärvi, Kouvola, South-East Finland:

Great Northern Diver (Common Loon)

Edit: It was my 300th Western Paleartic tick.

Last edited:
White-ruffed Manakin,
happy to see this guy, a very handsome male.

Scarlet Tanager,
this was a first for me and even stranger was his bright red plumage which shouldn't be happening here in Central America at this time of year. I've been told it can but is rare. We both got very good, close views. Beautiful bird.

A couple of weeks ago I continued the slow ticking-off of the UK birds I really should have seen by now, when I flushed a Jack Snipe while walking round the reserve at Hickling Broad, Norfolk.

6 lifers in the past couple of weeks visiting family in Western Europe: Western Swamphen and Monk Parakeet in Spain, and Lesser Yellowlegs, both Common and Arctic Redpolls and Parrot Crossbill in the UK. I still have 13 more days, so hopefully there'll be the chance for a few more!

La Selva

This lot were all got in one day here in Costa Rica this past weekend while part of a team on the La Selva CBC. A great but gruelling day as our team leader kept us at it for 14 hours straight starting at 3 am.

Fasciated Antshrike
Great Green Macaw
Wedge-billed Woodcreeper
Rufous-winged Woodcreeper
Double-toothed Kite
Black-cowled Oriole
Scarlet-rumped Cacique
Melodious Blackbird
Central American Pygmy Owl
Dusky-faced Tanager

CBC's = lifers

Even a schmo like me can rack up the lifers while on a CBC here in Costa Rica.

Black-breasted Wood Quail, Quebradas Reserve
White-tailed Emerald Hummingbird, Quebradas reserve

Carara National park CBC.

Long-tailed Woodcreeper
Steely-vented Hummingbird
Ovenbird
Black-hooded Antshrike
Sulpher-rumped Flycatcher
White-wiskered Puffbird
Buff-throated foliage Gleaner
Rufous Piha

2 lifers added recently:

Snowy Owl (poor/distant views, but I was still very happy to see it!)

Canvasback (flock of about 100 at well-known location)

Even a schmo like me can rack up the lifers while on a CBC here in Costa Rica

Wow! That sounds great! I've done a bunch of CBC's up here in the GWN, but always wanted to do one in the tropics.

Who organizes the Carara one, anyway? I have lots of great memories of birding there, would love to go back...

Peter C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back