• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Diamondback 7x36 Evaluation. (1 Viewer)

...Two or three years ago we started to see a variety of 7x36 roofs hit the market... Bushnell Excursion EX 7x36, Vortex Diamondback 7x36, Zen Ray ED 2 7x36, Atlas Optics Intrepid 7x36. I am sure there are others but those are the ones I could immediately think of.

I could be mistaken but I think that, out of that group, all of them either have been or will shortly be discontinued. ....

It is quite difficult to design a 7x roof with an Ultra Wide AFoV that does not have some serious compromises. On the otherhand, an 8x Ultra Wide is obviously not so difficult as seen by the proliferation of models across brands now. Anywhoo, it makes no sense to choose a 7x if its TFoV is smaller than an 8x FoV for similar apertures.

I would be highly suspect of any 7x roof that claims an AFoV >60°. Chances are either the clear aperture, mag, exit pupil, or TFoV specs are off. Most likely some combination of all of the above. Be even more suspicious of compact roofs less 40mm as prisms wiil be too small for anything much wider than 55° and/or poorly illuminated exit pupils.

Last edited:
BC
Your 6x32 Rangers are quite a bit smaller and lighter than the 6.5x32 Fury's, and have a smaller FOV. The Fury's will be slightly better in some areas than the Rangers optically, but you will have to do a lot of side/side to determine this. Since you seem to have been more than satisfied with the Fury's, I have always been puzzled as to why you felt the need to get the Furys, as they seem kinda redundant to me.

It will be interesting to see which one you keep and why.

I got them for the learning experience. This way I can test them against each other and then sell off the one I don't like. In the mean time I'm learning how to evaluate bins by direct experience. In the end I'll know a lot more and if it costs me a few bucks how is that different than paying for a college course and having to pay tuition and books? For me it's all worth it and a huge amount of fun to boot. Win win sez I. :t:

he's in full cheap binocular buying frenzy mode, don't talk to him about redundancy ;) the man is on a roll....

True dat :t: I just want to lay my hands on binocs and look at as many as I can right now. In the end I'll be able to pick a decent bin on my own and I can help my friends and family to boot. I'm having a lot of fun. I see no reason to stop until I'm not. And I'll end up with several pair of very nice bins. Or I'll unload all of them convinced only the best will do. I'm open.

True dat :t:

I dont know... The fury's are inexpensive now, however I'd not call them "cheap". IMO anything in the Fury-class has nothing to apologize for unless they were charging $600 for it.

If one can't get it done with Fury level glass, honestly, they're the problem, not the glass!

I dont know... The fury's are inexpensive now, however I'd not call them "cheap". IMO anything in the Fury-class has nothing to apologize for unless they were charging $600 for it.

If one can't get it done with Fury level glass, honestly, they're the problem, not the glass!

If that were true then why all the folk here buying multiple bins? And what is getting it done? Does that one bin fit all situations for all people? Are they going to work well for every person?

Myself I don't see any cheap bins being discussed here. Cheap to me is $12 bucks.

If that were true then why all the folk here buying multiple bins? And what is getting it done? Does that one bin fit all situations for all people? Are they going to work well for every person?

Myself I don't see any cheap bins being discussed here. Cheap to me is $12 bucks.

...and I have bought bins recently for $12...and sometimes less. Some are keepers and some go into the parts bin.

;)

On a related note, I did have the opportunity to briefly try the Vortex Fury 6.5x32s last night. Stet and I got together for a bit and he handed me his Furys. I had two units of this binocular when they first debuted but that was back when there were diopter issues with this model. I am glad to see that has been fixed. Anyway, here is what struck me in the brief time I had to handle them (and under the conditions I was observing...night time...slightly rainy, etc...).

Sweet spot is definitely big. Very big. I would easily say 80% of the field of view. The apparent sharpness is also very good. I had no problem finding perfect focus despite the fact that the focusing speed is quite fast. That would probably be my only "issue" if I had to hunt for one.

I won't comment on apparent brightness, contrast or color representation as it was night and these characteristics were difficult to determine.

Based on my limited experience though I would definitely say that these are a great purchase for the price they are currently selling for.

That all sounds good. I think those Diamonds might have been duds and thus my harsh evaluation. And to be frank- Frank I only bought them because Shacho turned me on to the deal and I jumped not realizing the Fury's were also on sale. So I figured that out and bought them the next day having read what people said in comparison to the Diamondbacks. I figured if I liked both I'd pass one on to a friend so I didn't mind having bought both.

If I end up feeling the same as you evaluated them and the sightrons come close to the niceness you've stated I'll likely be done buying for some time if not for good.

Once I feel I have really good bins that cover a few viewing situations I'll be happy. I'm not going to be a optifile like others here because I don't have the skills or desire to gain them. I've lived my life as a Jack of all and I'm not about to change that now. Mission is mostly accomplished. Then you'll only likely see the occasional post from BC and I'll be on to gaining skills in bird id.

Now hold on there a minute...once you get your binocular situation...situated then you need to start thinking of a spotter....and the eyepieces to go with it. This optiphile stuff never ends. You know that right?

;)

I have a Maksutov Cassegrain 90mm spotting scope with eyepieces including zooms.

I also have a more portable Barska 80mm zoom spotting scope.

I'm pretty happy with them.

Semantics.
I am interpreting cheap as a slight on its quality, and inexpensive as merely being low priced. Regardless of how inexpensive it may be now or later, Fury-level glass (approx optical level of fury/old vipers/sightron BSII etc) imo is not cheap.

As to "getting it done", I recognize I am painting with a broad brush. I am one who very much appreciates having a variety of binos of various styles and sized for various situations. (reference my recent thread re selling it all for one alpha... it was tongue in cheek because for me, i WANT multiples).

I digress. The point is that bino variety is, for the most part, mostly a function of want and not need.

For 90%+ of all birding or hunting at typical distances under typical conditions, if you cant see or ID a brid with a 6.5 or 8x32Fury/viper/Sightron, its not going to be attributed to a flaw in the bin's.

Fury's aint cheap...they're on sale. Thats really all I'm getting at.

No, that's why I tried them. Or will try them when they show. I just figured at that cost there was little to lose. At worst I send them back like the Diamondback.

Fury's aint cheap...they're on sale. Thats really all I'm getting at.

agreed ;) that's what I meant in the first place, you are the one who started the semantic digression.

all I was saying is that he is enjoying purchasing / trying / returning INEXPENSIVE (better? ;p) binoculars because it's a fun learning experience. No more no less... definitely not trying to slam the quality of the Fury (which I love!!).

BTW - my free Zen-Ray Vistas came yesterday and I definitely concur you got a dud (the Vistas are clones of the D'back). The Vista is clearly less bright and not as sharp as the Fury or ED3, and has a smaller sweet spot, but no way as dramatically bad as the experience you had with the D'back 7x36.

agreed ;) that's what I meant in the first place, you are the one who started the semantic digression.

all I was saying is that he is enjoying purchasing / trying / returning INEXPENSIVE (better? ;p) binoculars because it's a fun learning experience. No more no less... definitely not trying to slam the quality of the Fury (which I love!!).

BTW - my free Zen-Ray Vistas came yesterday and I definitely concur you got a dud (the Vistas are clones of the D'back). The Vista is clearly less bright and not as sharp as the Fury or ED3, and has a smaller sweet spot, but no way as dramatically bad as the experience you had with the D'back 7x36.

OK, we're better again. I'll call off the attack dogs! We all agree. Group hug!

;-)

Very surprised Vortex dropped the Fury. Got a pair and yes I say pair of Fury 8x32's early last year and now use little else.

Vortex needed to streamline their range but should of left the Fury. You get the feeling that Vortex mess with their binoculars to much. You just dont know where you are with them!

it's pretty normal for products to cycle, I'm sure they had their reasons. Maybe it wasn't a good enough seller.... maybe it had a high production cost or they decided they were having too much trouble getting satisfactory quality control from their Chinese mfgr due to the funky diopter adjustment.... maybe they decided it was too close to the Viper optically and was kind of awkwardly placed in between the D'back and Viper lines... who knows?

anyway, I feel like a lucky beneficiary having gotten such quality for $129. Frank is right in that the sweet spot is HUGE on the 6.5x32 Fury, very impressive. And I love the ergonomics (except for that stupid pointy bit of rubber projecting forward near the objective lenses, who's idea was that??). For me it's a better fit than the chunkier Vista body (and D'back by extension), the eyecups are among the most comfortable I've ever used, and the focus knob is silky. The only real optical flaws that I can find are a slightly-warm color cast, a decent amount of pincushion, and mediocre control of lateral CA outside of the center axis... brightness, contrast, and sharpness in the sweet spot are simply incredible for 129 bucks, and definitely competitive with anything in the $300 category.

It's like I said on here several days before the current revelation about the quality of the the 6.5X32 Fury. They are FANTASTIC ! They are also sold out.

Bruce

This optiphile stuff never ends. You know that right?

;)

There is a precise mathematical formula for working out the ideal number of binoculars in your collection. It is

x = (a-b) + y

Where x = the ideal number of binos,
a = the number of binoculars already in your collection,
b = the number of binoculars you might sell (but probably won't),
and y = the binocular about which you've been reading reviews on the
internet this week.

There is a precise mathematical formula for working out the ideal number of binoculars in your collection. It is

x = (a-b) + y

internet this week.

Great post! Funny.

I think your formula is spot on. I read it to my wife and she agrees with you and she made sure to mention that for me b = 0 (they might get handed down or donated to our local nature conservancy). Also for me x is a hard number to get my mind around.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Todd

x = (a-b) + y

internet this week.

Gotta agree. That right there is funny!:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back