• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Value Roof under 200 (1 Viewer)

Having been disappointed to find Sightron 8x32s are only available in the UK for over twice the lowest price in the USA, I've been researching alternatives. I too independently came to the conclusion that Eden 8x32s looked the best bet pricewise. Unfortunately, I really wanted an open bridge style binoculars for their ergonomic advantages,

Ok, i give you a quick update. Today, the Edens arrived. 8x42HD, 8x32HD and 8x42 XP.
Before i tell you about my experience, i just want to tell you what i can compare these binos with. I own a FMTRSX 7x50 and i also know my friends Swaro 8x5x42 EL.

So, after unpacking, i went with two friends of mine out on the balcony and looked a bit through the 3 Edens and the Fuji. First impressions:

General: Very Nice Binos, good built quality and nice optics.

All of them produce a crisp and clear picture none of them were as sharp on the edges as the Fuji. Of course not. The colors seem more lively than those in the Fuji.

With the 8x32 HD it takes a bit longer to find the position in which you have to hold the binos in order to look through them comfortably. The different levels at which you can position the eyecups are not so precise and the adjustment seems to be a little loose. But that is nothing major to me. I like the small size of these ones very much.

When i switch to the 8x42 HD i feel that the space is more vast. It is easier to accommodate the eyes to the bins and my eyes felt a bit more relaxed. Colors and sharpness were the same to me and to my friends.

When i now switch to the 8x42 XP, the only difference i feel is the 100 grams less weight. Neither me nor my friends nor my wife were able to tell the optical difference between those two.

So, the XPs who cost twice as much as their HD peers seem to be out of the race.
I went for a walk outside with my friend and the two HDs to test them a bit more.
The 8x32s were more convenient to carry and their small size appealed to both of us. But when it came to the optical quality and the ease of looking through them, the 8x42s were our favorites.

Tomorrow i will take the three outside again to assess a bit more. Maybe i will do a little video too.

If you have questions, please tell me.
And if you find some grammatical non-sense, please tell me that, too! I have to pass the IELTS test in march :)

All the best to you

One more thing i have to add to this. My wife thought that the 8x32s and the 8x42s provided the same optical quality. She switched back an forth several times and told me to stick with the smaller ones.

As i told you before, i ordered these crappy Fuji 8x32 Offroads. The Edens, without any doubt are a light-years ahead of the Fuji's.

I just thought you might think that the 8x32 are not good. I think they are very good binos in their class and to compare them with 8x42s, of course, is not fair. I really consider sticking with them.

Last edited:
The best bargain in inexpensive roofs I've tried was the Pentax 8x36 NV. With 6.5* FOV, it feels less cramped than the Monarch, the edges are sharper, which adds to that feeling, and since I have large hands, the longer length of these "in-betweeners," which is closer to full sized than midsized (6" long) suits me.

The tapered eyecups fit my eyes well and the bin was easy to use, smooth focuser, no fussing with the focus like my old super fast 8x32 HG or struggling with the ergonomics. They fit comfortable in my hands.

Binoculars are personal instruments, so one size does not fit all, but I think the Pentax is worth a look if you can try one in a store nearby you. Good warranty in the US, not sure about Europe.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-nv-8x36-binocular

Brock

Basti,

Thanks for the report. A bit of a relief hear that they are rather better than the Fujinon Offroad at least.;) .

In spite of the encouraging reviews from Renze and others it's difficult to know if sample variation and QC are likely to afflict these less well known brands like some others. Sounds good so far.

David

Ok, was out there today with the 3 binos from Eden, the Swaro 8.5x42 EL and the Fujinon 7x50. We (me, my wife and two friends) went out at 17.30, so light was already a bit dimm.

Our findings:
-the 8x32s have less edge sharpness than both 42s and the sweet spot is smaller
- the differences between the 42HDs and the XPs are hardly noticeable. The XPs seem to transmit a bit more light (but this not clearly evident, you have to believe in that thought in order to see that)
-Me and my friend (the one who ownes the Swaros) were very surprised of how well the 42s compete with the Swaros. He was also very convinced of the solid built quality of the Edens.
-the 32s might be out of the race, as the optical performance of the HD 42s is significantly better and because they are still not too bulky or heavy
-the optical performance of the Fujinon FMTRSX 7x50 and the Swaros are very similar.
-The colors of the Edens are warmer than the colors of the Swaro
- the focus wheel of the 42 Edens has a tiny bit of play and is very quick/coarse

That is basically it.

I think the price difference between the 42XPs (280 euros) and the 42HDs(150 euros) does not translate into a noticeably better optical performance and the 100 grams less weight do not justify 130 euros in price difference.

As i said, i think i will keep the HD42s.

I have seen a lot of good reviews on the ZRS HD binoculars. It has dielectric coating on the prism. I suspect it's probably brighter than my ZEN ED, which still has silver coating. I would be interested in seeing how this compete against the Nikon Monarch 5.

Ok. I made my decision. I am going to keep the 8x32 HDs.

After switching back and forth between the 8x32HD and the 8x42HD so many times, i decided to take them out in the field individually and see how satisfied i am with just one of them. Because obviously, when you look through the 42s and then switch to the 32s, the image quality will decrease and you will be less satisfied with the 32s. But what really matters to me is, if one pair of binos will satisfy me without comparing it to another pair.
Also, always checking for edge sharpness is a bit weird. You don't check edges when you already own that pair of binos.

So i took them out on two different days and my conclusion is that i am absolutely satisfied with the image quality of the 32s and that for my purpose, which in this case is hiking and every day use, the 32s will serve me better due to their smaller weight.

Hadn't i already got a pair of general purpose binoculars (in my case the Fujinon FMTRSX) i would have gone definitely for the 8x42 HDs.

All in all, if you are looking for a quality pair of binoculars you should really check out the Edens. I can not imagine a better bang for the buck.

Thank you for your tip, i forgot from whom he came.
Basti

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back